Author Topic: Your own personal mysteries.  (Read 274318 times)

Mister E

Re: Your own personal mysteries.
« Reply #2190 on: June 11, 2014, 11:24:11 PM »
This isn't mine personally but my Mom's mystery.

My mom and her older siblings were orphaned early in life, my Mom being the youngest of 4. Her mother died when she was only 10 days old and her dad died when she was 3 or 4. She and her 2 older brothers and older sister were then split up and raised by other family members, so thankfully at least they didn't end up with strangers (I don't know why they weren't all kept together with one set of relatives). Mom had always been told ever since she could remember that her middle name was Muriel. For whatever reasons she never saw her birth certificate (or a copy of it until she was an adult). When she finally did it said her middle name was Mable and not Muriel. Instead of changing her middle name to Mable, she had the birth certificate changed so that it had Muriel as her middle name since that's what she always believed it was and had obviously been using it for many many years. Her first name on her birth certificate was the same as what she'd always been called by people so there wasn't any problem with that. Mom's theory was that the relatives who raised her changed it from Mabel to Muriel simply because they didn't like Mabel but never told her and just never thought to get it changed on her birth certificate too. It was my understanding that by the time she knew about the name being different on her birth certificate all the people who might've known something about it were dead so she couldn't ask them. I was talking to another family member about it one day and she said it might've been a simple mix up that maybe they really thought her middle name was Muriel and not Mable which is certainly possible but at this point there's no way to know for sure. I know it's not the biggest or strangest mystery ever but I think it is kind of interesting.

Ed.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 11:27:15 PM by Mister E »

The Wild One, Forever

« Reply #2191 on: June 12, 2014, 01:21:19 AM »

My mom and her older siblings were orphaned early in life, my Mom being the youngest of 4. Her mother died when she was only 10 days old and her dad died when she was 3 or 4. She and her 2 older brothers and older sister were then split up and raised by other family members, so thankfully at least they didn't end up with strangers (I don't know why they weren't all kept together with one set of relatives). Mom had always been told ever since she could remember that her middle name was Muriel. For whatever reasons she never saw her birth certificate (or a copy of it until she was an adult). When she finally did it said her middle name was Mable and not Muriel. Instead of changing her middle name to Mable, she had the birth certificate changed so that it had Muriel as her middle name since that's what she always believed it was and had obviously been using it for many many years. Her first name on her birth certificate was the same as what she'd always been called by people so there wasn't any problem with that. Mom's theory was that the relatives who raised her changed it from Mabel to Muriel simply because they didn't like Mabel but never told her and just never thought to get it changed on her birth certificate too. It was my understanding that by the time she knew about the name being different on her birth certificate all the people who might've known something about it were dead so she couldn't ask them. I was talking to another family member about it one day and she said it might've been a simple mix up that maybe they really thought her middle name was Muriel and not Mable which is certainly possible but at this point there's no way to know for sure. I know it's not the biggest or strangest mystery ever but I think it is kind of interesting.

Ed.

I find that interesting, also.  My paternal grandmother had a similar story.  She was in her sixties when she obtained a copy of her BC in order to get a passport, and found that the first and middle names she had been using all her life were reversed on her BC.  IOW, she had always gone by Frances Alberta her entire life, but her name on her BC was Alberta Frances.  Her parents were long gone by then, so she had no way of knowing if it had been a clerical error or if they had just changed their minds after she was officially named.
Soft silly music is meaningful, magical

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #2192 on: June 12, 2014, 06:36:12 AM »

Ed.

I find that interesting, also.  My paternal grandmother had a similar story.  She was in her sixties when she obtained a copy of her BC in order to get a passport, and found that the first and middle names she had been using all her life were reversed on her BC.  IOW, she had always gone by Frances Alberta her entire life, but her name on her BC was Alberta Frances.  Her parents were long gone by then, so she had no way of knowing if it had been a clerical error or if they had just changed their minds after she was officially named.

My uncle also had to get his BC for a passport in his late 40s or early 50s.  He that found out that his that his birth date was wrong.  It wasn't even by a day or so either, but a week or two.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #2193 on: June 12, 2014, 09:54:03 AM »

Ed.

My guess is that they just remembered the middle name wrong and didn't think to look it up.  My husband is always asking me what our kids' middle names are.  He either gets them switched, or forgets them entirely.  And they're his own kids!  I don't remember my nephews' middle names, so if something happened to their parents and I adopted them, I'd have to look them up somehow or ask my in-laws, and it's quite possible that I could get a false memory in there.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #2194 on: June 12, 2014, 09:55:05 AM »
Ever read Sally Forth? The running joke is something comes up everytime they save some money towards their dream trip to Paris.

Or Erma Bombeck, who wrote that one year that she and her DH had socked away money for a trip, it was "Mommy! Daddy! The grass outside my window is wet and it smells!"  ::)

Okay, I'm being dense, I know, but I don't get this one.  What's up with the grass?

I'm going to guess that means the septic tank is busted.

That makes so much sense!  And it's actually funnier that way, being a somewhat subtle way of conveying the problem.  Ick, what a disaster, though.  I remember my parents getting their septic system dug up when I was a kid.  Yuck, plus expensive.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2195 on: June 12, 2014, 09:59:49 AM »
Ever read Sally Forth? The running joke is something comes up everytime they save some money towards their dream trip to Paris.

Or Erma Bombeck, who wrote that one year that she and her DH had socked away money for a trip, it was "Mommy! Daddy! The grass outside my window is wet and it smells!"  ::)

Okay, I'm being dense, I know, but I don't get this one.  What's up with the grass?

Or that the uphill-neighbor's tank has.  We had that problem at our first house, and said uphill-neighbors tried to say it was where our cats had pooped.  No.  Human and cat leavings smell significantly different, and cats rarely choose the middle of the back lawn to do their business.  The county health department agreed with us and made them fix it.  Uphill-neighbors gave us the Cut Direct from then on.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

magicdomino

« Reply #2196 on: June 12, 2014, 11:10:35 AM »

I know someone with a similar story.  All his life, he had been "Thomas James."  It was on his childhood military dependent ID,  his drivers license, and his personal passport.  Passport got lost, and he needed his birth certificate to get another.  Birth certificate says "James Thomas."   ???  Turns out that his parents named him after their fathers, but argued over whose father's name would be first.  The father's father was first on the birth certificate, but his mother always called him Thomas after her father.  His mother also handled all of the paperwork for their family and used "Thomas James" on everything, including his military dependent ID.  The ID was used to get his childhood personal passport, that passport was used to get passports as an adult, and somehow nobody asked for the original birth certificate.  Tom was quite upset.   :(

athersgeo

• No one told you when to run
« Reply #2197 on: June 12, 2014, 11:13:43 AM »
Or that the uphill-neighbor's tank has.  We had that problem at our first house, and said uphill-neighbors tried to say it was where our cats had pooped.  No.  Human and cat leavings smell significantly different, and cats rarely choose the middle of the back lawn to do their business.  The county health department agreed with us and made them fix it.  Uphill-neighbors gave us the Cut Direct from then on.

We actually had a cat who did just that - but she was, I grant you, a complete exception to the rule...

As for the names thing, we have a number of those mysteries in our family.

-Case A: on my father's side - the married surname was Solomon (to the best of our knowledge, there is no Jewish heritage in there); someone was going to be working overseas (in Africa, I think) and they were advised to change the name to avoid complications. Instead of  going to something simple, they managed to come up with something double-barrelled and complicated...
-Case B: my mother's middle name. Depending on who you asked/where you looked it's either Ann, Anne or Annie (She thinks the middle one was the intended version, but isn't entirely sure - and nor was her father when she asked him!)

And that's all before you get to the weirdness that lurks further up my family tree on both sides. (There's a pet turkey with linen collars involved.)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2198 on: June 12, 2014, 02:21:41 PM »

Isn't there a book (might even be Erma Bombeck) titled, 'The Grass Is Always Greener Over the Septic Tank'?
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #2199 on: June 12, 2014, 07:18:24 PM »

Isn't there a book (might even be Erma Bombeck) titled, 'The Grass Is Always Greener Over the Septic Tank'?

Yes, that's one of hers!
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #2200 on: June 12, 2014, 08:52:06 PM »
I think a movie was made based on her books, and one of the occurrences in the movie is septic tank trouble.

greencat

« Reply #2201 on: June 12, 2014, 09:58:26 PM »
About 3 or 4 weeks ago, I moved some things from the office I work in to another room in the building, on a different floor.  That room is secured - you have to have a key to get down the hallway and a keycard to get in the room and you have to have a security alarm code to deactivate the alarm in the room.  The things had post-it notes on them that I meant to stick to the shelves to clarify what the things were for.  I put one post-it note on the shelf, and then the other one...just vanished.  I couldn't find it anywhere, and I checked the room, the hallways, the elevator, and the office for it when I went back down.

Last night, I entered another secure room, on a different floor, which I didn't go into after losing the post-it note, and which I had been in at least 20 times since losing the post-it, and which many other people walk in on a regular basis.  I found the note on the floor...

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #2202 on: June 12, 2014, 10:23:15 PM »
About 3 or 4 weeks ago, I moved some things from the office I work in to another room in the building, on a different floor.  That room is secured - you have to have a key to get down the hallway and a keycard to get in the room and you have to have a security alarm code to deactivate the alarm in the room.  The things had post-it notes on them that I meant to stick to the shelves to clarify what the things were for.  I put one post-it note on the shelf, and then the other one...just vanished.  I couldn't find it anywhere, and I checked the room, the hallways, the elevator, and the office for it when I went back down.

Last night, I entered another secure room, on a different floor, which I didn't go into after losing the post-it note, and which I had been in at least 20 times since losing the post-it, and which many other people walk in on a regular basis.  I found the note on the floor...

Maybe the post-it note got stuck to the bottom of your shoe?
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

greencat

« Reply #2203 on: June 13, 2014, 01:06:26 AM »

Maybe the post-it note got stuck to the bottom of your shoe?

I checked the bottoms of my shoes when I lost it - and it was much too clean when I found it to have been on the bottom of anyone's shoe anyway!

Mister E

« Reply #2204 on: June 13, 2014, 01:46:02 AM »
I suppose it's possible that whoever filled out my Mom's birth certificate made the mistake and wrote the wrong middle name in I hadn't thought of that. But that doesn't make sense to me either. Because it had the correct first name. So I think it's much more likely that the relatives that raised her either made a mistake and really thought Muriel was her middle name or they, like she thought deliberately decided to change it from Mable to Muriel because they didn't like it. In my book that takes a lot of nerve to do that to a child when the parents have already given them a perfectly good name. But that's life sometimes.

Ed.