Author Topic: Your own personal mysteries.  (Read 303280 times)

Mergatroyd

Re: Your own personal mysteries.
« Reply #2205 on: June 18, 2014, 07:12:04 PM »
This isn't mine personally but my Mom's mystery.

My mom and her older siblings were orphaned early in life, my Mom being the youngest of 4. Her mother died when she was only 10 days old and her dad died when she was 3 or 4. She and her 2 older brothers and older sister were then split up and raised by other family members, so thankfully at least they didn't end up with strangers (I don't know why they weren't all kept together with one set of relatives). Mom had always been told ever since she could remember that her middle name was Muriel. For whatever reasons she never saw her birth certificate (or a copy of it until she was an adult). When she finally did it said her middle name was Mable and not Muriel. Instead of changing her middle name to Mable, she had the birth certificate changed so that it had Muriel as her middle name since that's what she always believed it was and had obviously been using it for many many years. Her first name on her birth certificate was the same as what she'd always been called by people so there wasn't any problem with that. Mom's theory was that the relatives who raised her changed it from Mabel to Muriel simply because they didn't like Mabel but never told her and just never thought to get it changed on her birth certificate too. It was my understanding that by the time she knew about the name being different on her birth certificate all the people who might've known something about it were dead so she couldn't ask them. I was talking to another family member about it one day and she said it might've been a simple mix up that maybe they really thought her middle name was Muriel and not Mable which is certainly possible but at this point there's no way to know for sure. I know it's not the biggest or strangest mystery ever but I think it is kind of interesting.

Ed.

I think this was more common back before one needed several types of ID all through life, and names were often repeated. I had an aunt named Muriel Ruth who went by Fanny and one name Ruth Muriel who went by Ruthie and one who went by Ruth but whose real name was Audrey.

Bethczar

« Reply #2207 on: June 28, 2014, 06:08:31 PM »
I don't know about the goats, but what better place than Wisconsin to have a fake cow?  Some years ago, Madison had all sorts of fake cows about that size that were decorarated as artwork. Most were bought and displayed by area companies.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2208 on: June 28, 2014, 08:29:20 PM »
Even downtown Chicago had painted cows one year.  Hardly dairy land!   ;)

Edited to add:  In fact I think that's where the whole thing started.  Since then there have been hundreds of such events in major cities all over the world.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 08:31:29 PM by gramma dishes »

dawnfire

« Reply #2209 on: June 28, 2014, 08:55:01 PM »
Even downtown Chicago had painted cows one year.  Hardly dairy land!   ;)

Edited to add:  In fact I think that's where the whole thing started.  Since then there have been hundreds of such events in major cities all over the world.

Melbourne has a cow up a tree
  http://www.onlymelbourne.com.au/melbourne_details.php?id=19383#.U69jS7FqOSo

gmatoy

« Reply #2210 on: June 29, 2014, 04:05:52 PM »
This isn't mine personally but my Mom's mystery.

My mom and her older siblings were orphaned early in life, my Mom being the youngest of 4. Her mother died when she was only 10 days old and her dad died when she was 3 or 4. She and her 2 older brothers and older sister were then split up and raised by other family members, so thankfully at least they didn't end up with strangers (I don't know why they weren't all kept together with one set of relatives). Mom had always been told ever since she could remember that her middle name was Muriel. For whatever reasons she never saw her birth certificate (or a copy of it until she was an adult). When she finally did it said her middle name was Mable and not Muriel. Instead of changing her middle name to Mable, she had the birth certificate changed so that it had Muriel as her middle name since that's what she always believed it was and had obviously been using it for many many years. Her first name on her birth certificate was the same as what she'd always been called by people so there wasn't any problem with that. Mom's theory was that the relatives who raised her changed it from Mabel to Muriel simply because they didn't like Mabel but never told her and just never thought to get it changed on her birth certificate too. It was my understanding that by the time she knew about the name being different on her birth certificate all the people who might've known something about it were dead so she couldn't ask them. I was talking to another family member about it one day and she said it might've been a simple mix up that maybe they really thought her middle name was Muriel and not Mable which is certainly possible but at this point there's no way to know for sure. I know it's not the biggest or strangest mystery ever but I think it is kind of interesting.

Ed.

As per the bolded: I'm the oldest child and I once listened to my aunts and uncles (two married couples/ my mother's sisters and their husbands) talking about who would get which child should my parents die! Thing is, they were not in any poor health or anything like that. The relatives were just ... :o ??? I don't know why they were having that conversation. What I do know is that it traumatized me. On my 21st birthday I cried because I was so relieved that, if my parents were to die, I would be able to take care of them all in the house where we grew up.

Mister E

« Reply #2211 on: June 29, 2014, 04:58:50 PM »
I can see how that would be upsetting gmatoy. It's interesting because my mom's aunt and uncle who raised her never had any biological children of their own. She was their "only" daughter (or stepdaughter if you prefer). I never knew if they couldn't have any or just didn't want them. I never knew my mom's dad and her mom died when I was only 7, and she was kind of a difficult woman. She at one point left her husband for another man (they divorced) and was with this other man for a few years and then left him and went back to her husband, who did forgive her and take her back. So that's interesting, I don't I think knew about that until after she died though, but I can't remember exactly when my mom told me about it. But that certainly doesn't happen very often!

Ed.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 05:01:04 PM by Mister E »

Dr. F.

« Reply #2212 on: June 29, 2014, 07:45:20 PM »
A book that I would have never requested (My Thoughts on Design by Barbara Streisand, IIRC, something about Babs and design, anyway) has shown up on my 'hold' list at the local library. I have no idea how it got there. I can't figure out how to delete it.

gmatoy

« Reply #2213 on: June 29, 2014, 10:24:38 PM »
Thank you, Ed.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2214 on: June 30, 2014, 02:05:51 PM »
A book that I would have never requested (My Thoughts on Design by Barbara Streisand, IIRC, something about Babs and design, anyway) has shown up on my 'hold' list at the local library. I have no idea how it got there. I can't figure out how to delete it.

My mom ends up getting all kinds of "weird" DVDs from Netflix that she claims she has no memory of adding to her queue, and they aren't things she would want to watch anyway. I suspect, knowing my mom, that she accidentally clicks on things, and she never goes back and reviews or rearranges her queue.

The funniest was when she told me she'd gotten this horribly violent, dark movie about a teacher who has cancer and becomes a drug dealer, called something like "Barking Mad" or "break" or something. I was like, "Breaking Bad? It's actually a critically-acclaimed TV show. That I can't imagine why you thought you would like." She prefers cozy mysteries, BBC period dramas, etc..
~Lynn2000

andi

« Reply #2215 on: July 06, 2014, 06:56:47 PM »
Where are hubby's keys?  They disappeared sometime between 3pm on Friday afternoon (July 4) and 1pm Saturday afternoon. We have torn the house apart.

We had a locksmith come out so we could get into the trunk in case he dropped them in there getting stuff out - but the locksmith was only able to unlock the door. (Which sets off the alarm ever time you open it)  It took a while of google searching to find out how to get the back seats down manually so we could get itnto the trunk from there - no keys.

Hubby went through all the outside trash bins and bags. We called the people we had over Friday night incase they accidently walked out with them. Hubby even rewalked the route we took to the park and searched the area where we sat.  Called the clubhouse and gate guard in case someone found them. 

Just "poof". Gone. And it'll cost almost $500 for a new key, fob and program for the car. I hate high tech sometimes.

gmatoy

« Reply #2216 on: July 06, 2014, 07:55:14 PM »
Our sofa has back cushions that are attached, but there is a "v" part where our keys once got into and we looked and looked for them. A year later we found them during a move. I mention this to give you another place to look. (Also, if he took out the garbage or got a soda out of the refrigerator...look there, too.)

andi

« Reply #2217 on: July 06, 2014, 08:34:00 PM »
Oh I checked the fridge - he put food away.  And we took the sofa apart (it's in 3 pieces).
Thanks for the tip though

Seraphim

• The impossible I do every day -- miracles merely take a few more phone-calls.
  • I'm not short, I'm concentrated Awesome!
« Reply #2218 on: July 06, 2014, 09:23:24 PM »
Friends once found their keys inside the VCR player. That was thanks to a helpful toddler though...

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #2219 on: July 06, 2014, 09:41:39 PM »
I had a friend who lost her military ID in its holder between the mattress & head board - did he help anyone in the guest room or help you change sheets?

It took over a year to find it - she'd had to replace it long before.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?