Author Topic: Your own personal mysteries.  (Read 277227 times)

andi

Re: Your own personal mysteries.
« Reply #2220 on: July 06, 2014, 10:19:25 PM »
We pulled the bed apart - took sheets off and pulled up the mattress (platform sleep number bed). Either someone's found them and didn't know what to do with them or they're someowhere in the house

JoW

« Reply #2221 on: July 06, 2014, 11:06:21 PM »
My grandfather was another one where the date on his birth certificate didn't match the date his mother told him.  He found out at age 65 when he got a copy of the birth certificate so he could apply for social security.

We have a very good idea what happened.  We know Gramp was born at home on a farm in a rural area.  We also know there was a doctor in attendance.  We strongly suspect the date his mother told him was the day he was really born.  The date 10 days later on his birth certificate is the date the doctor made it into town and filed the birth certificate.  We also suspect that the doctor did that routinely - going into town about every 2 weeks and filing birth certificates for 2 weeks of births at every visit. 

Fliss

• Australia - the land that time forgot.
« Reply #2222 on: July 07, 2014, 12:12:26 AM »
We pulled the bed apart - took sheets off and pulled up the mattress (platform sleep number bed). Either someone's found them and didn't know what to do with them or they're someowhere in the house

Dismantle your potplants. Keys are magically attracted to potplants and behind the top row of books in deep bookshelves.
Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

DaisyG

« Reply #2223 on: July 07, 2014, 07:04:10 AM »
Have you tried checking all your jackets? DH just lost his wallet for a weekend - he thought about wearing one jacket and put his wallet into it, saw it needed repairing and went out with another jacket, then forgot he had even thought about the original jacket. ("Why would I have left it there, I know that jacket needs repairing?")

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #2224 on: July 07, 2014, 09:30:40 AM »
If your DH is tall look on top of all tall furniture. That is usually where I lose my keys.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #2225 on: July 07, 2014, 11:45:20 AM »
If your DH is tall look on top of all tall furniture. That is usually where I lose my keys.

Yep.   When my DH can't find his keys they are usually on top of the fridge or on the top shelf of the pantry. Sometimes  they make it into the hamper though.

ETA: Did you check under the front seats of your vehicle?  I find all kinds of stuff there when I clean out my car.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 11:48:22 AM by Dazi »
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

snowfire

« Reply #2226 on: July 07, 2014, 07:01:00 PM »
I want to know where my flagpole is.  I bought a new, fancy flagpole & holder a while back.  The holder has a special mount so that the whole pole will rotate so that the flag doesn't get wrapped around it.  The pole was sitting in its box in my office...and now it isn't.  This is two 3 foot long pieces of aluminum tubing, it's not exactly something that could slide under the bookshelf.  We didn't even find it when we had everything out of the office to refinish the floor.

Peppergirl

« Reply #2227 on: July 07, 2014, 09:18:19 PM »
My grandfather was another one where the date on his birth certificate didn't match the date his mother told him.  He found out at age 65 when he got a copy of the birth certificate so he could apply for social security.

We have a very good idea what happened.  We know Gramp was born at home on a farm in a rural area.  We also know there was a doctor in attendance.  We strongly suspect the date his mother told him was the day he was really born.  The date 10 days later on his birth certificate is the date the doctor made it into town and filed the birth certificate.  We also suspect that the doctor did that routinely - going into town about every 2 weeks and filing birth certificates for 2 weeks of births at every visit.

This happened with my grandmother, except that the span was 3 days.  She was told she was born on 11/20, but her birth cert said 11/23 because that's how long it took to get filed at the rural courthouse in southern Kentucky.  ;D

andi

« Reply #2228 on: July 07, 2014, 10:05:03 PM »

Yep.   When my DH can't find his keys they are usually on top of the fridge or on the top shelf of the pantry. Sometimes  they make it into the hamper though.

ETA: Did you check under the front seats of your vehicle?  I find all kinds of stuff there when I clean out my car.

Check, check and check. Even got the step stool out.  Thanks everyone. I even left cookies for the house gremlin - no keys.
We've ordered new car keys and the locksmith can reprogram them for us. Hubby re-keyed the house already. I know we'll find them as soon as we get the new ones.

gmatoy

« Reply #2229 on: July 08, 2014, 01:21:44 PM »

Check, check and check. Even got the step stool out.  Thanks everyone. I even left cookies for the house gremlin - no keys.
We've ordered new car keys and the locksmith can reprogram them for us. Hubby re-keyed the house already. I know we'll find them as soon as we get the new ones.

Yes, that is the other version of: Found it in the last place anyone would ever look!

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2230 on: July 08, 2014, 04:23:09 PM »
The most annoying part of the key mystery is that when the old set turns up (and it will), they're no good anymore so you don't even have a spare set  ::).

When they turn up, the OP must fill us in.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #2231 on: July 13, 2014, 09:08:11 PM »
I'm missing my new (to me) smartphone.  My toddler dumped my purse out last Sunday and I think she probably made off with it, but I haven't managed to find it yet.  My dad had given me his old smartphone because he upgraded, and the reason I needed it was that I lost my previous flip phone.  Which I still haven't found.  <sigh>  I am not usually a person who loses things (in fact, usually I'm the person my husband asks when he can't find something, and I can generally tell him where it is).  It's very frustrating.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #2232 on: July 13, 2014, 10:57:40 PM »
I'm missing my new (to me) smartphone.  My toddler dumped my purse out last Sunday and I think she probably made off with it, but I haven't managed to find it yet.  My dad had given me his old smartphone because he upgraded, and the reason I needed it was that I lost my previous flip phone.  Which I still haven't found.  <sigh>  I am not usually a person who loses things (in fact, usually I'm the person my husband asks when he can't find something, and I can generally tell him where it is).  It's very frustrating.

Have you asked her if she knows where it is? When DD was about 2 we were looking everywhere for DS's pacifier, for days (we had another one but you always want at least 2). DD overheard us talking about it and said "I know where it is!" and took us straight to it, under the hope chest at the end of our bed. Hmmm, little stinker had obviously put it there.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #2233 on: July 13, 2014, 11:03:19 PM »

Have you asked her if she knows where it is? When DD was about 2 we were looking everywhere for DS's pacifier, for days (we had another one but you always want at least 2). DD overheard us talking about it and said "I know where it is!" and took us straight to it, under the hope chest at the end of our bed. Hmmm, little stinker had obviously put it there.

Alas, she doesn't talk.  Or communicate well enough for that.  The olders do, of course, and my 5-year-old is often one who knows where random stuff ended up, but she doesn't know this time.  I offered a $2 reward for it.  The older girls spent about a minute looking for it.  Maybe I need to up the reward.  :)  Or, you know, clean the house.  Flashback to when I was a kid, and I'd be missing something, and my mom would tell me to clean my room and maybe I'd find it.  Only in this case, it's the whole house.

Tierrainney

• Where the swans winter
« Reply #2234 on: July 14, 2014, 12:25:47 AM »
Where is Sparky?

Sparky is a plastic Dalmatian that used to live in our kitchen cabinets. He would move around "mysteriously" into new places. No one remembers moving him and he is no where to be found. Can a toy dog run away from home?

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.