Author Topic: Your own personal mysteries.  (Read 289735 times)

Samara

Re: Your own personal mysteries.
« Reply #2235 on: July 14, 2014, 01:58:39 AM »
I was living alone with my 3 cats and I decided to bake whole chicken to freeze for meals. I don't remember the poundage but it was a large chicken. So I was fixing this thing, using a butter injector, when I had to go to the bathroom. I was there maybe two minutes. I come out and my raw chicken is gone. Just... gone. Pan is there, butter is still there but no chicken. I suspected the cats, I mean it was a pretty big chicken, too big for a single kitty to drag alone, especially in just two minutes... but... I don't know maybe they formulated a plan? Worked together to carry my dinners for the week off? I once saw two of them work together to drag a turkey leg off the table at Thanksgiving when they were kittens so... it was possible, I reasoned.

I searched the whole house, obsessed with the thought that they'd carried off this chicken and hidden it to eat later and it would start to smell. Nothing. Rifled through boxes, under the bed and the couch, I even did battle with the Spiders Down Below so that I could uncover any basement hiding spots. Nothing. I searched the garden and the bushes because I'd had a small window open. Nothing, the chicken was gone. I never found the chicken, not even a bone. What in the world happened to this thing perplexes me to this day.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #2236 on: July 14, 2014, 10:42:37 AM »
Would you have any wild animals in the neighbourhood that could have hopped in the open window and made off with it?
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Margo

« Reply #2237 on: July 14, 2014, 02:05:47 PM »
Or tame ones.
We had a cat who would have had no problem at all swiping even a large chicken. He got clean away with a whole leg of lamb, once.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #2238 on: July 14, 2014, 04:54:56 PM »
I'm missing my new (to me) smartphone.  My toddler dumped my purse out last Sunday and I think she probably made off with it, but I haven't managed to find it yet.  My dad had given me his old smartphone because he upgraded, and the reason I needed it was that I lost my previous flip phone.  Which I still haven't found.  <sigh>  I am not usually a person who loses things (in fact, usually I'm the person my husband asks when he can't find something, and I can generally tell him where it is).  It's very frustrating.

Have you asked her if she knows where it is? When DD was about 2 we were looking everywhere for DS's pacifier, for days (we had another one but you always want at least 2). DD overheard us talking about it and said "I know where it is!" and took us straight to it, under the hope chest at the end of our bed. Hmmm, little stinker had obviously put it there.

Alas, she doesn't talk.  Or communicate well enough for that.  The olders do, of course, and my 5-year-old is often one who knows where random stuff ended up, but she doesn't know this time.  I offered a $2 reward for it.  The older girls spent about a minute looking for it.  Maybe I need to up the reward.  :)  Or, you know, clean the house.  Flashback to when I was a kid, and I'd be missing something, and my mom would tell me to clean my room and maybe I'd find it.  Only in this case, it's the whole house.

Money might not be a reward that the kids understand well yet.

Ice cream or cookies, though...offer a cookie to everyone when your phone turns up and TWO cookies to the one who finds it!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #2239 on: July 14, 2014, 05:02:28 PM »
I'm missing my new (to me) smartphone.  My toddler dumped my purse out last Sunday and I think she probably made off with it, but I haven't managed to find it yet.  My dad had given me his old smartphone because he upgraded, and the reason I needed it was that I lost my previous flip phone.  Which I still haven't found.  <sigh>  I am not usually a person who loses things (in fact, usually I'm the person my husband asks when he can't find something, and I can generally tell him where it is).  It's very frustrating.

Have you asked her if she knows where it is? When DD was about 2 we were looking everywhere for DS's pacifier, for days (we had another one but you always want at least 2). DD overheard us talking about it and said "I know where it is!" and took us straight to it, under the hope chest at the end of our bed. Hmmm, little stinker had obviously put it there.

Alas, she doesn't talk.  Or communicate well enough for that.  The olders do, of course, and my 5-year-old is often one who knows where random stuff ended up, but she doesn't know this time.  I offered a $2 reward for it.  The older girls spent about a minute looking for it.  Maybe I need to up the reward.  :)  Or, you know, clean the house.  Flashback to when I was a kid, and I'd be missing something, and my mom would tell me to clean my room and maybe I'd find it.  Only in this case, it's the whole house.

Money might not be a reward that the kids understand well yet.

Ice cream or cookies, though...offer a cookie to everyone when your phone turns up and TWO cookies to the one who finds it!

The money was bait to get my oldest to want to find it, as she's desperately trying to come up with ways to earn money for an American Girl doll.  But you're right, it may not be the best bait for the younger two, and the 5-year-old is the best finder.  Maybe I'll have to see what would work for her.  Letting her pick a movie and watch it, maybe.  I could probably handle seeing Frozen again.  I hope.  :)

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #2240 on: July 14, 2014, 08:51:02 PM »
I was living alone with my 3 cats and I decided to bake whole chicken to freeze for meals. I don't remember the poundage but it was a large chicken. So I was fixing this thing, using a butter injector, when I had to go to the bathroom. I was there maybe two minutes. I come out and my raw chicken is gone. Just... gone. Pan is there, butter is still there but no chicken. I suspected the cats, I mean it was a pretty big chicken, too big for a single kitty to drag alone, especially in just two minutes... but... I don't know maybe they formulated a plan? Worked together to carry my dinners for the week off? I once saw two of them work together to drag a turkey leg off the table at Thanksgiving when they were kittens so... it was possible, I reasoned.

I searched the whole house, obsessed with the thought that they'd carried off this chicken and hidden it to eat later and it would start to smell. Nothing. Rifled through boxes, under the bed and the couch, I even did battle with the Spiders Down Below so that I could uncover any basement hiding spots. Nothing. I searched the garden and the bushes because I'd had a small window open. Nothing, the chicken was gone. I never found the chicken, not even a bone. What in the world happened to this thing perplexes me to this day.

A friend of mine had something similar happen with a couple of kilograms of cake icing and her dog.  She'd turned her back on the icing (and the dog) for a few seconds to put something in the fridge, when she turned back the massive plastic bag of fondant was gone.  She never found a shred of plastic, or even a sticky spot where the icing had been (presumably) eaten.  Surprisingly, the dog didn't get sick either.

His nickname was Houdini, for the number of times he escaped out, maybe he was a bit more of a magician than we thought!

greencat

« Reply #2241 on: July 14, 2014, 09:56:10 PM »
One of my parents' cats was a ninja.  He liked to make off with poultry legs.  We lost part of the Thanksgiving turkey to him, and a leg of Peking duck.  That one was particularly sneaky because I was sitting at the table right next to the duck reading a book while I was waiting for my mom to get out of the bathroom, and she came back and asked me if the duck had two legs when we picked it up from the restaurant...

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #2242 on: July 15, 2014, 02:08:18 PM »
Where's the bat?

The Sweetie and I have a life-sized rubber bat that we take turns hiding. It's her turn. It's been weeks.
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #2243 on: July 15, 2014, 06:54:38 PM »
Where's the bat?

The Sweetie and I have a life-sized rubber bat that we take turns hiding. It's her turn. It's been weeks.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2244 on: July 16, 2014, 04:53:30 PM »
Where's the bat?

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Yeah, my guess would be there's a cat involved. ;)
~Lynn2000

andi

« Reply #2245 on: July 16, 2014, 10:28:08 PM »
The most annoying part of the key mystery is that when the old set turns up (and it will), they're no good anymore so you don't even have a spare set  ::).

When they turn up, the OP must fill us in.

The new car keys have been purchased, delivered, reprogrammed and cut. Plus we "had" to have the new keys programmed to "auto start" since hubby had just had it done to the ones we lost.  Plus the house was rekeyed and new keys cut and purchased.  Oh, and the gate padlocks had to be cut off and replaced. Sigh ...

All in all, it was over $600 for this little mishap. These new fangled electronic key fobs are not cheap. We should have had a second one made when we got the car, just never thought about it. Lesson learned. 

At this pint p, if we ever do find the old keys, I'm taking them somewhere and blowing them up

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2246 on: July 17, 2014, 08:34:42 AM »
A sledgehammer can be quite satisfying, too.  Just remember to wear safety glasses.   ;D
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #2247 on: July 21, 2014, 08:36:18 AM »
Where are the palmetto bugs coming from?

Every day, I open my bedroom curtains. At night, when I go to close them, there is a palmetto bug on them, at least once a month. They are huge, we have no small ones in the house in between their appearances. I kept the lights on, because I wanted DH to get it when he came home (I'll catch mammals, reptiles and others, but I draw the line at 3" long bugs) and it was gone!

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #2248 on: July 21, 2014, 09:25:17 AM »
A sledgehammer can be quite satisfying, too.  Just remember to wear safety glasses.   ;D

You know, I shouldn't read from the most recent back, because at first I associated this with the post about palmetto bugs.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

magicdomino

« Reply #2249 on: July 21, 2014, 10:24:42 AM »

You know, I shouldn't read from the most recent back, because at first I associated this with the post about palmetto bugs.

Not a bad idea, but personally I'd get the palmetto bug away from anything breakable first.