Author Topic: Your own personal mysteries.  (Read 298619 times)

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
Re: Your own personal mysteries.
« Reply #2325 on: August 24, 2014, 10:10:42 PM »
Are you sure you really need that software to use the camera?
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #2326 on: August 24, 2014, 11:33:16 PM »
I do if I want to transfer the pictures to my hard drive.  That is, if I ever find the darn thing.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2327 on: August 25, 2014, 11:29:34 AM »
I do if I want to transfer the pictures to my hard drive.  That is, if I ever find the darn thing.

Can't you just take out the SD card and put it directly into the slot on your computer and download them that way?

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #2328 on: August 25, 2014, 03:48:45 PM »
Or use a USB cable to copy the files over like you would with a flash drive?
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #2329 on: August 26, 2014, 01:11:23 AM »
The problem is, right now I have the software but not the camera.  The camera is lost in this house somewhere, and I have a feeling that it's lost because I put it somewhere "to remember where it was."  If I ever find it I'm going to hang a hook over my desk and put it there.

greencat

« Reply #2330 on: August 26, 2014, 01:22:36 AM »
The problem is, right now I have the software but not the camera.  The camera is lost in this house somewhere, and I have a feeling that it's lost because I put it somewhere "to remember where it was."  If I ever find it I'm going to hang a hook over my desk and put it there.

I call this, "Putting things lost."  Yes, I do it enough that I have to call it something. 

gmatoy

« Reply #2331 on: August 26, 2014, 02:35:34 PM »
I love "putting things lost!!" And my new solution to finding things is to change the angle at which I'm looking. I lay on the floor or stand on a chair and see if I can see it now. I also look inside anything big enough to put it into.

AfleetAlex

• Proud cat mom and Auntie
« Reply #2332 on: August 26, 2014, 02:44:05 PM »
Where did my bank card go??

I know where it used to be, weeks ago. In my pocket. I know where it is now. In my pocket. But I don't know where it has been between then and now. I thought I lost it. I had to get a new one and memorize new numbers. And now it just up and appears back in my pocket where I looked for it before.

Maybe I have been using it too much and it wanted a vacation. :P

Some pockets can do a "flip" and you think you have checked the pocket, but you didn't get to the bottom. Or at least that is what I tell myself when this happens to me.

This explains why I'm constantly washing tissues in the laundry even though I swore I checked all my pockets!
I have a chronic case of foot-in-mouth disease.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2333 on: August 26, 2014, 05:59:03 PM »
Richard Attenborough's sad passing has reminded me of one.

The 1994 version of "Miracle on 34th Street" was one of my favourite Christmas movies growing up. (I was 5 in 1994.) I am completely certain of this. I can remember watching it a hundred times. I know the story inside out and backwards, and can quote huge portions of it.

So how come both my parents claim to have never seen it?

This came out last Christmas. I noticed it was on TV, got my parents to sit down and watch it, and started reminiscing about all the Christmas films I loved when I was little. Cue confused looks. Mum and Dad say they've never seen it. They don't remember us ever having it on video (I do), or ever hearing me talk about it.

I could almost believe that maybe I only watched it with my grandparents or at friends' houses, but I remember sitting in our living room, watching it on our TV. I can picture the VHS box on my shelf with all my other movies.

Memory is a very funny thing!!

The same thing happened to me and my parents with The Wizard of Oz. I watched it so much as a little kid that they OD'd on it and refused to watch it for 25 years, and had blocked a lot of it from their memories.
~Lynn2000

Seraphim

• The impossible I do every day -- miracles merely take a few more phone-calls.
  • I'm not short, I'm concentrated Awesome!
« Reply #2334 on: August 26, 2014, 07:06:49 PM »
Where the eHell are my DH's keys??

He cant find them, and we have searched the cars, house and workshop and they still remain MIA. It wouldn't be so bad but his key ring has his work keys, his toolbox keys and the only keys for 2 of the cars. So now we are looking at over $100 per item to have new keys made. It is getting urgent as he cant access any of his tools in the toolbox and he needs them for work.

The bit that is driving me totally nuts is he keeps trying to blame me. 'Honey, I am sure I gave them to you to open the door' No, I used my keys. "Honey, I threw them to you to open the box with' No, I used a knife. 'Honey, I am sure you put them in your handbag' No, no I didn't. I don't have them. I haven't seen them. They are your keys - I have my own.

Take responsibility for loosing your own crap. I have enough of my own crap I have lost, I don't need to be blamed for yours.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #2335 on: August 26, 2014, 09:46:16 PM »
VorGuy used the "spare" key for my van....last month.  We haven't seen it since early July.  He tries to insist that it is on the dresser (not visible - even when I start lifting the layers of things he has put down on the dresser & never touched again except to put more stuff on top of it) or on the hook inside the pantry (not there - I've looked - I may have to open & empty the box of canned sodas and a container of bottled tea - just in case it fell off the hook & landed there).  But so far it's been close to six weeks since anyone had their hands on that key.

He spent a couple of days looking "everywhere" for his blue canvas carry case for work papers...I found it in three minutes by ignoring where he told me it was supposed to be and looking right by the door that he comes into the house through after parking his car.  Yup - on the chair by the breakfast table less than six feet inside the door...

Wonder if the missing keys are in the same area?  I might have to do a little more looking under the rest of the things he's set down by the door & never picked up again - tomorrow....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Margo

« Reply #2336 on: August 27, 2014, 09:01:37 AM »

I call this, "Putting things lost."  Yes, I do it enough that I have to call it something.
In our family this is known as 'putting things in a safe place"  On account of that act that so often, you carefully put something somewhere safe and immediately forget where it is.

daen

« Reply #2337 on: August 27, 2014, 09:16:34 AM »

In our family this is known as 'putting things in a safe place"  On account of that act that so often, you carefully put something somewhere safe and immediately forget where it is.

I have now reached the point that, when I finally locate something I have "put in a safe place," that spot will become its new home. Even if, and especially if, it seems weirdly illogical. The frustration, followed by relief at finding and puzzlement at finding it there usually means I will never forget that location again.

If I move the object to a more logical place, I can pretty much guarantee I will forget the more logical place but remember where I found it the last time...

GreenHall

« Reply #2338 on: August 27, 2014, 09:48:12 AM »
It does make me wonder about 'logic' sometimes, or what passes for it with me, personally at least.  Obviously that was a perfectly logical safe place when I put the thing there.  But a month, or two or twelve later, and that spot does not even feature in my top ten list of 'where would I logically put this?'

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #2339 on: August 27, 2014, 10:03:15 AM »
My biggest problem is that I'm constantly taking things away from the toddler that she shouldn't have, and putting them in the safest place near to where I am, so that she can't grab it back.  So if I'm at my husband's computer, they might end up near the back of his desk.  If I'm using my laptop on the couch, they might end up between the couch and the wall.  If I'm in the kitchen, they go on a high counter.  Etc.  They are not necessarily logical places, just trying to play keep-away from the toddler.  Then I can't find things.  Yes, I should get up and put the thing away in the right place every time.  But she's just so persistent.  She dumps her cereal out in the kitchen, I'm cleaning that up, and meanwhile she's getting into something in the living room.  Etc.  So if I were to put things away every time, I'd barely be able to sit for a minute straight unless she's napping (and *then* she's taking her diaper off and making a mess in the crib, despite all the safety pins/packing tape/Velcro that I use to attempt to keep her diaper on).  It just gets exhausting.

I did find my smartphone.  Yay!  I still need to figure out how it works, though.  I went to a McD's with wifi the other day, and spent the entire time while my kids were playing in the play area trying to figure out how in the world you make it show you your *current* emails, as opposed to the emails from a month ago when you last turned it on.  And I couldn't figure out how to access FB at all.  Not entirely sure I'm smart enough for a smartphone!  And I used to be so technologically literate, too.

I still haven't found the iPad, though, which grows increasingly frustrating.  I had been really loving it and using it a lot, and I miss it.  Plus my husband and I want it for a trip to England next month.  I may have to spend a week tearing the house apart room by room.

And now I am also missing two schoolbooks: my oldest daughter's main math book, and my second daughter's "thinking skills" book.  Which makes me wonder if I had the schoolbooks and iPad in a bag from our last Korean lesson or something, and I didn't unpack it and somehow lost track of the bag?  Very puzzling.