News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• October 24, 2017, 04:48:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Your own personal mysteries.  (Read 622969 times)

SwissArmyGirlfriend

• Only Dots have that indefinable dotty yield.
Re: Your own personal mysteries.
« Reply #2745 on: October 23, 2016, 12:14:49 AM »
Are you sure it's a burn? A drying liquid stain of some kind would also behave similarly in terms of scraping off at first and then getting harder later. Depending on the liquid, it could have had all sorts of odd reactions with the chair material and perhaps even have changed color and consistency to look very like a burn and less like whatever it originally was. (I once dripped something acidic, I think it was salsa, onto a vinyl chair seat, and it pulled dye from the vinyl and became darker and sticky almost immediately. I wouldn't have known it was salsa if I hadn't seen the drip happen).

pattycake

« Reply #2746 on: October 23, 2016, 08:34:48 AM »
Are you sure it's a burn? A drying liquid stain of some kind would also behave similarly in terms of scraping off at first and then getting harder later. Depending on the liquid, it could have had all sorts of odd reactions with the chair material and perhaps even have changed color and consistency to look very like a burn and less like whatever it originally was. (I once dripped something acidic, I think it was salsa, onto a vinyl chair seat, and it pulled dye from the vinyl and became darker and sticky almost immediately. I wouldn't have known it was salsa if I hadn't seen the drip happen).

Now there's something I never thought of, but I honestly can't see that happening. Mostly because it hadn't yet hardened again when I discovered it. I was holding the phone in my hand when I moved the chair, and I had been sewing before that so not even near it. I wasn't cleaning anything with any solution, the chairs only get dusted for the most part as I live alone so they don't get messy. And I didn't know salsa could be so destructive!

Carotte

« Reply #2747 on: November 15, 2016, 07:08:37 AM »
More than 15 years later and I got the resolution to a mystery that had puzzled kid-me.
As a kid I went snooping through a relative's home office and in a desk drawer I found ink bottles and syringes full of ink.
Nowadays I think I'd put two and two and get to the conclusion on my own she was refilling her pen with the syringe but at the time well, I could only think of drugs and why would someone use ink? wouldn't it leave marks and all? It freaked me out so I never talked about it with my parents (plus I shouldn't have been snooping in the first time).
I hadn't thought about  this in a long time, watching a video on how refillable fountain pen converter work and the other options clued me in.