Author Topic: Your own personal mysteries.  (Read 291483 times)

Carnation

• Super Hero!
Your own personal mysteries.
« on: May 15, 2010, 07:49:15 AM »
While we've covered what happened to Baby Azaria, etc, how about a discussion of our own personal most-likely-never-solved mysteries.

Here's mine:

I had the same mailman for years and years (at 3 different addresses!), until I finally moved a couple of blocks away from his route.   

Five or six years later, I was at the grocery store and ran into him.  He told me that, a couple years ago, someone sent a huge envelope full of who-knows-what to my old address.

Of course, by the time my change of address form had long expired.  He had no choice but to return it to the sender.

He went on and on about how "impressive" it was.  Since it had been a couple years, he didn't recall anything about the postmark or return address, except that it looked "personal".

What was in it? 

Who was it from?

Obviously the sender didn't know I moved, so why send me something all of a sudden?  I only lived at that address for 18 months, so it would have to be someone from that time frame.

So many questions.

Dazi

• like the flower
Re: Your own personal mysteries.
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 08:30:13 AM »
Where did all my Thank you notes from my wedding disappear too? 

My DH and I sat down and wrote them all over a weekend about a month out from our wedding.  We were together when I dropped them off at the post office drop box.  We both remember doing it.

Not one person got a thank you note. 

I didn't find out about until 6 years later when a friend mentioned that she would have really liked to have gotten some of the pictures from our wedding.  Well, I had put some in her thank you note...when I mentioned that she told me she never got one.  I discreetly inquired and found out not one single person received their thank you notes.

I wonder were they ended up? The reining theory is that post office drop box is a portal to another dimension  ;D
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

SiotehCat

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 08:36:39 AM »
Years and years ago, my partner and I were staying at my mothers house. She did a bunch of grocery shopping one night, and in that, she had bought a big jar of pickles. That same night, I stayed up extra late doing a Where's Waldo? book. The next morning, the pickles were gone.

For years, it has been thought that I ate those pickles. It only makes sense. However, I did not eat those pickles. Nobody will confess.

I would like to know who took those pickles.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 10:11:51 AM »
Years and years ago, my partner and I were staying at my mothers house. She did a bunch of grocery shopping one night, and in that, she had bought a big jar of pickles. That same night, I stayed up extra late doing a Where's Waldo? book. The next morning, the pickles were gone.

For years, it has been thought that I ate those pickles. It only makes sense. However, I did not eat those pickles. Nobody will confess.

Was there actually an empty jar found?  My first thought was that the jar didn't get put in the bag or fell out in the trunk.  I have had that happen several times.

Also, I have a story of the disappearing yogurt.  I kept fussing at my DH because I thought he was eating extra portions of it.  He swore it wasn't him eating it.  One morning I woke up to mystery substance on me....yeap, it was yogurt.  I sleepwalk...turns out I was sleep eating.  I guess it could have been worse than yogurt.  :-\

Why is it when you look for <insert object of your choice> for days, weeks or months and finally give up and purchase a replacement, that you suddenly find <object>?  It is infuriating.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

MeeLee

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 10:44:09 AM »
Years ago, a guy left me a message on my answering machine asking me out. No clue who he was. He called again and my room mate answered the phone and then I never heard from him again. Have no clue who he was.

EmmaJ.

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 11:22:30 AM »
I have only one drawer in my kitchen where I keep ALL of my cooking utensils.  The one item I use most often is my wooden spoon.  One day last month, getting ready to cook dinner, I opened the drawer to get the wooden spoon.  Not there.  Not in the dishwasher, not in the sink.  I went back to the drawer and took every single item out searching for it but no wooden spoon.  I live alone - there was no one else to blame.

Sigh.  Wondered if I accidently tossed it out while cleaning.  Rats.

Finished cooking the potatoes, went back to the drawer for the masher and the wooden spoon was right there on top.

Aggiesque

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2010, 11:25:41 AM »

I wonder if they didn't get left at the store; I've had that happen a few times, things were overlooked and didn't get bagged. Now I'm wondering about your pickles?

Perhaps waldo took them, and that's why he's hiding.....!
Aggie

My favorite blog, which discusses personal finance: http://www.opinmoney.blogspot.com/

sbtier

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2010, 11:38:24 AM »
Two years ago I was in the hospital.  I called my house to listen to my messages, which included one with a unknown woman's voice saying she's heard I was in the hospital and let me know if there was anything she could do for me (the beginning of the message was garbled and I couldn't understand the person's name).  Complete mystery because almost nobody knew I was hospitalized.  The only thing I could think was it was someone from my company's HR but they said it wasn't them. Nobody ever came forward saying they left the message.

Information_queen

• Meaghan, her family's personal librarian
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2010, 11:49:56 AM »
I want to know where all my spoons and coffee mugs are.

They are not in the dishwasher, the cabinet, the drawer, or my husband's car (the usual culprit). Or the sink.

So where did they all go?

I'm hoping I can solve this mystery this weekend. Everything has to be moved, so surely we'll find the missing items. Or not.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2010, 11:51:54 AM »

My DH and I sat down and wrote them all over a weekend about a month out from our wedding.  We were together when I dropped them off at the post office drop box.  We both remember doing it.

I didn't find out about until 6 years later when a friend mentioned that she would have really liked to have gotten some of the pictures from our wedding.  Well, I had put some in her thank you note...when I mentioned that she told me she never got one.  I discreetly inquired and found out not one single person received their thank you notes.

I wonder were they ended up? The reining theory is that post office drop box is a portal to another dimension  ;D

Was it an outside post box? One day my Mom was driving past the post office. An employee was oppening the outside box and a West Texas wind came up.  Several pieces of mail were blown out of the box onto the street. The employee finished emptying the box and left the stuff that had blown out sitting in the street.

Or they are going to find you Thank You notes in the home of a former employee with tons of other undelivered mail.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

DangerMouth

• Work as if you were in the early days of a better nation.
  • Super Hero!
  • Everybody Gets Ice Cream!
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2010, 12:01:16 PM »

Was it an outside post box? One day my Mom was driving past the post office. An employee was oppening the outside box and a West Texas wind came up.  Several pieces of mail were blown out of the box onto the street. The employee finished emptying the box and left the stuff that had blown out sitting in the street.

Or they are going to find you Thank You notes in the home of a former employee with tons of other undelivered mail.

I'm not surprized that it happens, but that the postal employee invariably doesn't dump the mail but leaves it to be found. Truly boggling.

My only mystery is the common one- where the heck do the socks go?

MovieLover

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2010, 12:15:46 PM »
My personal mystery is where my 5 carat sapphire encircled with diamonds disappeared to when on vacation at my son's home.  No one visited, no one came in or out, just myself, his wife and my son.  I do not believe either one of them took it as they both have free access to my other jewelry, many pieces of which have larger stones and are more valuable.  Plus if it was money they needed all they need to do is just ask for it, they know I would give it to them but they have never asked for or needed any. 

It's just gone.

Daffydilly

• Live;) Laugh;( Pretend you're sane :-}
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2010, 12:50:42 PM »
Dazi said "Why is it when you look for <insert object of your choice> for days, weeks or months and finally give up and purchase a replacement, that you suddenly find <object>?  It is infuriating."
I think that's called the big box store effect, they need another sale and activate a cloaking device over the item you have at home. Voila, it's disappeared and no one knows what to do. And the day you support the store buying a new one, the cloaking device turns off.

My mother had this problem, both my little brothers loved their pacifiers. And it was always on some random night, they'd both loose them. Cribs have been torn apart and a tiny bedroom they slept in gave up nothing. And my mother had to go to the store "twice" that night. First time, she bought a double pack in each boy's size. Second time, to get yet another double pack for the younger one. The double pack had disappeared one at a time.
And we never did find most of them after the boys outgrew them.

My personal opinion is mini black holes develop where ever the item in question is located.
Now if science could just support my theory...

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2010, 12:57:59 PM »

No, it was the drop box that went directly inside the post office.  There were so many of them that they wouldn't fit it my mailbox.

Animala

• Rowr!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2010, 01:18:25 PM »
I got a weird one.  My great grandfather had a rather large uncut diamond.  He put it away in a safety deposit box along with important papers to keep for his children after he died.  Well he was very long-lived and his wife died before I was very little and he married again.  The woman he married was a nasty, nasty person.  I can't even begin to describe what a horrible woman she was.  It was bad enough that he divided his land (he had been a farmer) and gave each child their portion not too long after he was married to protect it from his new wife. He kept the safety deposit box a secret. When he died my grandmother and her sister went to the bank to get the diamond but the box was empty.  Accusations flew that the new wife had taken it.  My grandmother and her sister accused each other of taking it.  It was a nasty thing for a few years.  Eventually my grandmother and her sister reconciled with each other, but they never ever spoke to their step-mother again. 

I would really like to know what actually happened to it.  I have to say I'm thankful that there aren't more vaulable things (beside the land) to inherit.  I wouldn't want to deal with that.