Author Topic: Your own personal mysteries.  (Read 244242 times)

Scuba_Dog

Re: Your own personal mysteries.
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2010, 01:29:55 PM »
I want to know if my Husband's great Aunt and Uncle found his Father's Will at his house, didn't like what it said and disposed of it before we could get there.

I want to know what was in the safe deposit box that we found the key for.  I want to know what else they are lying about.

I want to know if things (items) really can bring you bad luck.

I would really like reassurance that "What goes around, comes around." & "You get what you give" because I already know that "No good deed goes unpunished."

"If you are going through hell, keep going."
Winston Churchill

hot_shaker

• Super Hero!
  • Friendly EHell Crank
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2010, 02:25:20 PM »
I want to know where all my spoons and coffee mugs are.

They are not in the dishwasher, the cabinet, the drawer, or my husband's car (the usual culprit). Or the sink.

So where did they all go?

I'm hoping I can solve this mystery this weekend. Everything has to be moved, so surely we'll find the missing items. Or not.

Steak knives.  I started out with 6 knives and now I have 3.  It was, um, interesting at Christmas when I had 3 people over.  There was another similar knife, slightly larger, that I could use in a pinch but it's gone too.  Where do 4 pointy objects disappear to?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Trust me, I'm a scientist.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Raised on the East Coast,
living in the Mid-West.

DangerMouth

• Work as if you were in the early days of a better nation.
  • Super Hero!
  • Everybody Gets Ice Cream!
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2010, 02:31:48 PM »

They are not in the dishwasher, the cabinet, the drawer, or my husband's car (the usual culprit). Or the sink.

I'm hoping I can solve this mystery this weekend. Everything has to be moved, so surely we'll find the missing items. Or not.

Steak knives.  I started out with 6 knives and now I have 3.  It was, um, interesting at Christmas when I had 3 people over.  There was another similar knife, slightly larger, that I could use in a pinch but it's gone too.  Where do 4 pointy objects disappear to?

Considering all the 'bad guest' stories I read here last night, I'd suggest looking under the bed/couch :D

MadMadge43

• MadMadge43
  • Super Hero!
  • Etiquette is making others feel special
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2010, 02:32:45 PM »
I want to know who put the red roses on my father's grave that my mother found.

aventurine

• Super Hero!
  • Mean, but agreeable
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2010, 02:47:51 PM »
I have a really strange one.

My mother has a really old photo album with pictures of her family dating back to the early 1900s.  We know the pictures are old, but some were undated and nobody in them was identified.  A few years ago, my uncle, who lives in the next state, wanted to see it so we took it with us.  When we got home, we couldn't find it.  We were devastated.  Called uncle, he didn't have it.  Nobody'd seen it.  We finally decided that, since Mama had put it in a plastic grocery sack, that someone had mistaken it for trash and thrown it out. 

Sadness ensued. 

About a year later, Mama found it, still in the plastic grocery sack, in the trunk where she'd always kept it.  (We'd tossed that thing but good in the search.)  There were dates and names beside every unidentified photo, written in pencil. 

???

8)

(There had been no visits between us and Uncle's family in the interim, so it will always remain a mystery.)

"A child of five could understand this.  Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Groucho Marx

DangerMouth

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2010, 02:57:00 PM »
I want to know who put the red roses on my father's grave that my mother found.

Oh, that reminded me of a former mystery.

My sister died when she was 21, and we would regularly find a rose on her grave. It wasn't until years later when mom and I were attending the funeral of a HS friend of my sis that we found out it had been him all along. (he died of aids, back when aids was still a huge mystery, the whole thing was just. so. sad)

I hope when you/your mom discover who it was that left the roses you can find it more sweet than sad or 'wrong' :'(

Kaylee

• Super Hero!
  • No power in the 'verse can stop me!
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2010, 03:00:52 PM »
About a year later, Mama found it, still in the plastic grocery sack, in the trunk where she'd always kept it.  (We'd tossed that thing but good in the search.)  There were dates and names beside every unidentified photo, written in pencil. 

???

8)

(There had been no visits between us and Uncle's family in the interim, so it will always remain a mystery.)

That one is just plain weird.

Our theory on disappearing pointy items is that the cats hide them.  It's all we've got.  We've had two paring knives (one a really nice one!) go missing in the last couple of years.

My husband, who prides himself on never losing anything, lost his keys about 10 years ago, but we knew what had happened--there had been a big snowstorm and we were outside playing in the snow, and he realized as soon as we got home.  He had a special couple of items on that keyring, and I spent several months replacing them (one was a souvenir Broadway keychain I finally found on eBay).

Fast forward to about 6 months ago.  My husband calls me at work.  He's locked out, his keys are missing.   They're not in his jacket, not in his messenger bag, he went back to work and they're not at his desk or in the office.  He was REALLY annoyed, and had to wait outside for about an hour before I could get home.  We ransacked the house in case he hadn't taken them with him.  We also keep our keys on a ring in the hallway.  Nada.

I started the process of trying to recreate the keyring AGAIN.  About a month later, I picked up my husband's bag to empty out the old newspapers and his lunchbag from the previous day.  Staring up at me were the keys.  He uses that bag every day.  

We blame the cats for that one too.  Who else is there to blame?

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2010, 03:10:31 PM »
I had a cousin (actually Dad's 1st cousin) who was something of a recluse. He lived with his Mother and Father who had Parkinson's. His father passed away and it was his Mom and him. We all had a hard time checking on them because they didn't want anyone in the house.

He was found sitting in the living room with a book open to the symptoms of a heart attack. He had died of an heart attack.

At the funeral there was this woman - no one knew. She had a huge arrangement of red roses. The rest of us were sad, but she was hysterically crying. After the interment a bunch of us went to nearby graves of relatives. We all asked each other if anyone knew who the woman was. No-one did. His siblings even checked with their Mom - she didn't know who the woman was.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

DangerMouth

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2010, 03:13:48 PM »
I had a cousin (actually Dad's 1st cousin) who was something of a recluse. He lived with his Mother and Father who had Parkinson's. His father passed away and it was his Mom and him. We all had a hard time checking on them because they didn't want anyone in the house.

He was found sitting in the living room with a book open to the symptoms of a heart attack. He had died of an heart attack.

At the funeral there was this woman - no one knew. She had a huge arrangement of red roses. The rest of us were sad, but she was hysterically crying. After the interment a bunch of us went to nearby graves of relatives. We all asked each other if anyone knew who the woman was. No-one did. His siblings even checked with their Mom - she didn't know who the woman was.

Maybe I'm biased, but I really like the idea of someone having a 'secret life', even tho it might drive me/other's nuts trying to figure it out.

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2010, 03:26:44 PM »
Where is my brother's first daughter (my niece)?  When her mother and my brother got divorced, they severed all ties and we haven't seen her in over 40 years.  All I have is her mother's maiden name, and I do know that the mother remarried and niece was adopted by the new husband.  No one in my family had the guts to ask my brother where she was, even if we couldn't understand not knowing where your child was for her entire life, and now he's gone.  We'll never know.

What do the mystery keys in my junk drawer go to?  I'm afraid to throw them out, as sure shooting I'll find some locked box that can only be opened with the key  ::)

Who are the people in my grandmother's photo album?  We found a photo album of some people in our family, but others are mysteries.  There were some pictures of George Washington and Abraham Lincoln, so we think they just might be "fake" people in there, the way some photo albums sold today come with a picture in them. 

When I converted to Judaism, I was surprised to find the service very familiar (I was raised Protestant, with no Jewish relatives and few Jewish friends).  The music, the prayers were all familiar and I "knew" what was going to happen next.  I do have some memories of my mother buying matzoes in the spring, and fuzzy memories of going to a synagogue.  She was supposed to be Episcopalian.  Much later I found that my mother's family name was changed from a more Jewish sounding name, and I suspect that her family was at least part Jewish and immigrated to escape persecution (which did happen in their city in Germany).  Both my parents are gone, and I never wanted to uncover what was apparently a secret, anyway.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2010, 04:21:57 PM »

Maybe I'm biased, but I really like the idea of someone having a 'secret life', even tho it might drive me/other's nuts trying to figure it out.

I hope they did have some happiness together. I just feel bad that none of us could approach her and comfort her.

Side note his older brother had died a couple years before and left behind a teenage son. That son was at the funeral and having a hard time of it. Both brothers had died because of damage they did to their bodies due to addictions. The son had a bit of an emotional meltdown at his father's grave asking "Why did you do this?"

We were dealing with him.
The Mom who had lost 2 sons and a husband in a couple of years.

Younger kids who didn't  get why their cousin was talking to the ground. The younger kids knew their Uncle had been very sad. The idea he was in heaven with his Dad and brother and that in heaven all pain is taken away - seemed so simple to them. Uncle was happy now that he wasn't hurting, Pappa could walk and talk again- so why were the grown ups sad.

Several elderly relatives who where having a hard time walking across the grave yard.

By the time we got them all sorted the woman with the roses was gone - and no-one had invited her back for a meal. We all felt guilty like we let cousin down.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Cellardoor14

• caviar and cigarettes... well versed in etiquette
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2010, 04:26:19 PM »

Steak knives.  I started out with 6 knives and now I have 3.  It was, um, interesting at Christmas when I had 3 people over.  There was another similar knife, slightly larger, that I could use in a pinch but it's gone too.  Where do 4 pointy objects disappear to?

I am missing one steak knife out of the 24 piece knife set we got as a marriage present.  I have searched high and low, and no one is fessing up  to accidentally dumping it into the trash yet.

DangerMouth

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2010, 04:28:22 PM »
kherbert05,

Ah, that's just all really sad. I know you wish you could have reached out to her, but it sounds like you were already dealing with a lot. ((hugs))

audrey11

« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2010, 05:11:28 PM »
Several years ago, one of my relatives mysteriously disappeared.  He just never came home one night.  A few months after he disappeared, the FBI questioned his (adult) children and his wife.  No one had a clue.  A few years later, he returned and could not remember a thing about where he'd been.  I'm not sure if he realized he'd even been gone.  Where was he when he was missing?

sbtier

• Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2010, 05:44:46 PM »
Speaking of graves, there is a man buried in our family plot and we don't know his name.  During the depression, my grandmother's neighbor died and my grandmother let his wife bury him in our family plot because she didn't have money for a grave.  Over time, the man's name has been lost by the family and the cemetary doesn't have any record.  We just call him 'The Neighbor'.