Author Topic: Your own personal mysteries.  (Read 276686 times)

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
Re: Your own personal mysteries.
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2010, 02:48:10 PM »
Earthquake? Well we get them in England occasionally. The nearest geological fault is in Iceland (Italy being slightly further away, but only just)

What I want to know is why is it that whenever I empty out the washing up bowl there is always a teaspoon in it?
NE England

Scuba_Dog

« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2010, 03:14:42 PM »
I was sitting at a fast food resterant today. All of a sudden the tables started shaking?

earthquake?

in Ohio?

maybe?

Could have been a little rumble from the New Madrid faultline.

http://www.scchealth.org/docs/ems/docs/prepare/newmadrid.html
"If you are going through hell, keep going."
Winston Churchill

Suze

• I live in the real world. I play in the Middle Ages.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2010, 03:26:15 PM »
I was sitting at a fast food resterant today. All of a sudden the tables started shaking?

earthquake?

in Ohio?

maybe?

could have been -- I live about 50 miles north of Dayton Oh

I think I remember about 4 quakes in my life though - and ususally they start with a big BOOM -- crazy
Reality is for people who lack Imagination

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2010, 04:29:49 PM »

earthquake?

in Ohio?

maybe?

Not unusual in western Ohio ;).  I felt one when I lived in Cleveland, even.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/states/ohio/history.php

LeeLee88

« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2010, 05:38:37 PM »
Earthquake? Well we get them in England occasionally. The nearest geological fault is in Iceland (Italy being slightly further away, but only just)

What I want to know is why is it that whenever I empty out the washing up bowl there is always a teaspoon in it?

Yes!  Even after I swish my hand around at the bottom to make sure I got everything, I dump and low and behold, but the magic teaspoon has come to visit. 

Some of my personal mysteries: 
1) Where the heck did my glass pie pan go?  It's never been out of this house, so where could it be?
2) Why do I have no paper clips, bobby pins, or lighters when I need just one of those items?  For instance, I don't need a lighter, but I'll find dozens of paper clips, or I don't need a paper clip, but I find dozens of bobby pins.  And whose bobby pins are these?  I've never bought light-colored brass bobbies, or hot pink ones, what is going on?
3) How did I get such a monstrous stack of dirty dishes in my sink?  (Haha, oh wait, no mystery, just laziness  :P ;) :-[)

dietcokeofevil

« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2010, 05:58:08 PM »
Where did that wooden spoon with the funky handle come from?  I've asked people that have brought dishes over to my house in the past and no one has claimed it.

Clara Bow

• Super Hero!
  • I gotta go.
« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2010, 06:12:09 PM »

earthquake?

in Ohio?

maybe?

I think I remember about 4 quakes in my life though - and ususally they start with a big BOOM -- crazy
There was one in central Georgia when I was a child...a huge boom (we were visiting friends of my folks and the adults thought that us kids had done something to make the sound...it was like furniture being thrown around.

They swore it was us until Dad read in the paper the next day that there was a small earthquake. You'd have thought the geologists would have known it wasn't the poor children  >:D (Daddy and his friends were both geo profs)
I have finally found the bar I can't get thrown out of....

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2010, 06:20:19 PM »
Where did that wooden spoon with the funky handle come from?  I've asked people that have brought dishes over to my house in the past and no one has claimed it.

On that note...Where did the ginormous wooden handle butcher knife come from?  It doesn't belong to my set of knives and none of my extended family of friends will claim it.  Also, where do all my spoons and forks go? and why do I keep finding extra butter knives and shrimp forks that don't match my pattern? and where did my favorite colander disappear to for over six months and then one day I just find it sitting on my counter?
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

aventurine

• Super Hero!
  • Mean, but agreeable
« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2010, 06:21:57 PM »
Where did the ginormous wooden handle butcher knife come from? 

It's mine.  It went missing a few years ago.  Not a clue where it got off to ... until now  [/jarring music]

;D

"A child of five could understand this.  Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Groucho Marx

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2010, 06:30:04 PM »

earthquake?

in Ohio?

maybe?

I don't see why not.  We get them in Florida (though infrequently, I think the last one I remember was 2006 or so) and we do get minor tremors every once in awhile from earthquakes in the Gulf or near the Carribean Islands.  Though I found most people don't notice them or think it is from airplanes, trains or shuttles going off/NASA testing/Airforce testing etc.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2010, 06:36:15 PM »
Where did the ginormous wooden handle butcher knife come from? 

It's mine.  It went missing a few years ago.  Not a clue where it got off to ... until now  [/jarring music]

;D

<teehee>  Well, mystery solved.   ;D  I guess we have a kitchen portal...

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2010, 07:52:13 PM »

earthquake?

in Ohio?

maybe?

There was one in central Georgia when I was a child...a huge boom (we were visiting friends of my folks and the adults thought that us kids had done something to make the sound...it was like furniture being thrown around.

They swore it was us until Dad read in the paper the next day that there was a small earthquake. You'd have thought the geologists would have known it wasn't the poor children  >:D (Daddy and his friends were both geo profs)

Charleston, SC was stuck by an earthquake in the 1800's sometime that was so strong, it set bells off in Boston.  I saw an episode on "It Can Happen Tomorrow" in which a similar earthquake roared through today.

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2010, 07:58:07 PM »
30 years ago, I came home from school on a particularly warm day. I'd had gym class last period and was still in my gym clothes. I was hot, sweaty, and tired. I went through the house, straight to the porch, where I took off my glasses and set them on a railing (INSIDE the screened-in porch, not outside), then opened the screen door, walked straight to the pool and jumped in, clothes and all.

That pair of glasses was never seen again.

EmmaJ.

« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2010, 08:05:27 PM »
Oooooh, Cathy that's so weird!!

Martienne

• Formerly yello.cape.cod
« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2010, 09:46:49 PM »
I used to have a set of metal bookshelves in my bedroom (the kind people usually keep in basements or garages, with nothing to close in the back or sides). We had no pets at the time. Every night I would take my glasses off and set them on the second shelf next to my alarm clock, near the front edge of the shelf. On two different occasions I woke up in the morning, unable to find my glasses. In both cases they were found along the wall, as though someone had knocked them down the back of the shelves.