Author Topic: Your own personal mysteries.  (Read 279768 times)

vorbau

• walking around naked doesn't make you an emperor
Re: Your own personal mysteries.
« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2010, 09:54:00 PM »
It's ... mysterious ... how so many of us have the same type of mysteries.

- What happened to DXH's uncle? He left home one day to run and errand and ... steppped into oblivion. Amnesia? Accident? Homicide? Alien abduction? Draft dodging (this was in 1940)? No one knows. The missing persons case is still open and there are no more clues than the day he disappeared.

- Where did the strange butcher knife in my kitchen come from? DH says it wasn't his or his ex-wife's, and it sure wasn't part of my stuff when I moved in. It's a cheesy "always sharp" dimestore type. Did we accidentally bring it home, or someone accidentally leave it? No one has claimed in in 11 years. Does it really belong to another EHellion - and my kitchen is part of the portal system? (I already know that Einstein's ghost lives here - time and temperature when cooking in my kitchen are all relative, as in, things never take the same length of time or cook the same even at the same temperature.)

- What did DS do with my black crystal necklace? Last I saw it, he was about 1 1/2 and playing with it. But when I went to get him for dinner, it was gone. When we moved, I tore that house apart - I even pulled up the edges of the carpet and shone a flashlight down the heater vents. Nothing.

- What happens to the socks? I even dismantled the old washer and dryer to look through the innards before we gave them away - no trace. And since we got the new washer and dryer, no socks have disappeared. Did the gremlins go with the old set?

- What happened to the hideously ugly brown glass pitcher I was given as a souvenir of the end of the Berlin Wall? Did DH make good on his promise to break it/throw it away? He says no, and he's the world's worst liar - I can always tell when he's trying on even a minor fib.

We have earthquakes here (northern VA/DC region) too, occasionally. I remember one in 2004, I think, that shook the high-rise I worked in - turned out to have been centered near Annapolis. I was astonished when DS did a science fair project on seismic activity in VA, I had no idea there was so much of it around here.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 10:46:40 PM by vorbau »
Let's roll. (And you can't scare me; I've had teenagers.)

CakeBeret

« Reply #61 on: May 16, 2010, 10:18:41 PM »
Where on earth do my spoons keep going??
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

snowfire

« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2010, 10:44:06 PM »
Where in the universe did the late, great Tasha kitty ditch her first collar?  She managed to jettison it less than an hour after we put it on her.  She never left the house.  We didn't find it even when we moved out and had the house totally empty & I shampooed the carpet and cleaned the cupboards.  I think she flushed it. ;D

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2010, 10:50:11 PM »
Oooooh, Cathy that's so weird!!

I still really want to know what happened to my glasses. My parents were annoyed they had to buy me a new pair, but they simply were not there. I know exactly where I set them, I was only in the pool a couple of minutes, no one else was out there - where could they have gone? We searched all over the porch, the yard, and the kitchen.

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2010, 10:50:52 PM »
When my three year old found DH's wallet a few months ago, what did he do with the contents?  I assume we'll find them if/when we ever move, but until then all the cards and such have disappeared off the face of the earth.  We had to order a new debit card and pay for a new gym card.  One of the cards appeared on top of the dresser one day, but we haven't seen any of the others.  

I wonder what will be in his hiding place when we find it.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #65 on: May 16, 2010, 11:07:44 PM »
What happened to all BabyPenguin1's pacis when she was a baby?  I bought 16, to replace all the missing ones.  I cycled them, 8 in the crib, 8 in the dishwasher.  Every morning, I'd go to get her out of the crib, and there would be less each time.  8, then 6, then 4, then 2...  Eventually all the pacis were gone.  I had to buy a new set of 16, and those things aren't cheap!  She never had them at other times of the day, so she wasn't hoarding them so that she could have an illicit daytime paci.  I thought perhaps they'd gotten behind furniture in that room, but we moved out and never found a single one.

aventurine

• Super Hero!
  • Mean, but agreeable
« Reply #66 on: May 16, 2010, 11:45:12 PM »
Where did the ginormous wooden handle butcher knife come from? 

It's mine.  It went missing a few years ago.  Not a clue where it got off to ... until now  [/jarring music]

;D

<teehee>  Well, mystery solved.   ;D  I guess we have a kitchen portal...

my kitchen is part of the portal system

Can one of you send me some cookies? 

8)

"A child of five could understand this.  Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Groucho Marx

CakeBeret

« Reply #67 on: May 16, 2010, 11:54:24 PM »
Where did the ginormous wooden handle butcher knife come from?

It's mine.  It went missing a few years ago.  Not a clue where it got off to ... until now  [/jarring music]

;D

<teehee>  Well, mystery solved.   ;D  I guess we have a kitchen portal...

my kitchen is part of the portal system

Can one of you send me some cookies? 

8)

I'll send you cookies if someone will send me the gluten free spinach pasta that i've been trying to make and haven't had time to!
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

kitty-cat

« Reply #68 on: May 16, 2010, 11:55:27 PM »
30 years ago, I came home from school on a particularly warm day. I'd had gym class last period and was still in my gym clothes. I was hot, sweaty, and tired. I went through the house, straight to the porch, where I took off my glasses and set them on a railing (INSIDE the screened-in porch, not outside), then opened the screen door, walked straight to the pool and jumped in, clothes and all.

That pair of glasses was never seen again.

Cathy, I had something simalar happen. I got a brand new pair of glasses about a week before I started 8th grade. I left them on the kitchen counter one night (didn't really like wearing them, so I didn't. Have to wear them now though; I'm like half blind without them now-the kind where you can see shapes, just not details.) Well, come next morning we couldn't find them. Never did find them either. I had to go through 8th grade without glasses, and then through about the first 15 weeks or so of Freshman year without glasses.

Wound up having to dig out an old pair of glasses (that had gotten squished by a microscope in 6th grade) just so I could read the overhead. And I was in the front row of the class too, thats how bad my eyes had gotten. TBH, it's about time for me to get a new pair-I got the pair I'm wearing now right before Senior year in high school. I'm about to start my Sophmore year of college in August. Roughly 2 years.

NE Florida

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #69 on: May 17, 2010, 12:13:34 AM »
30 years ago, I came home from school on a particularly warm day. I'd had gym class last period and was still in my gym clothes. I was hot, sweaty, and tired. I went through the house, straight to the porch, where I took off my glasses and set them on a railing (INSIDE the screened-in porch, not outside), then opened the screen door, walked straight to the pool and jumped in, clothes and all.

That pair of glasses was never seen again.

Cathy, I had something simalar happen. I got a brand new pair of glasses about a week before I started 8th grade. I left them on the kitchen counter one night (didn't really like wearing them, so I didn't. Have to wear them now though; I'm like half blind without them now-the kind where you can see shapes, just not details.) Well, come next morning we couldn't find them. Never did find them either. I had to go through 8th grade without glasses, and then through about the first 15 weeks or so of Freshman year without glasses.

Wound up having to dig out an old pair of glasses (that had gotten squished by a microscope in 6th grade) just so I could read the overhead. And I was in the front row of the class too, thats how bad my eyes had gotten. TBH, it's about time for me to get a new pair-I got the pair I'm wearing now right before Senior year in high school. I'm about to start my Sophmore year of college in August. Roughly 2 years.

Maybe it's an 8th grade thing - this happened when I was in 8th grade.

And now that you mention it, I do need new glasses. I got this current pair two years ago last Thanksgiving and they're getting worn out. I have a vision benefit that pays for a new pair every year. I'm just lazy. :)

SquishyMooMoo

« Reply #70 on: May 17, 2010, 01:40:37 AM »
In my apartment, there are 3 windows along the same wall at the back of the building: one in the kitchen, one in the bathroom, one in the bedroom. Why is it that ants ONLY come in the BEDROOM window? You would think, of the 3, that they'd go in the kitchen window--and the two windows are only maybe 15 feet apart on that wall.

ebelie

« Reply #71 on: May 17, 2010, 06:32:07 AM »
Where did the pen case full of costume jewelery come from?  I found it sitting on my bookshelf in the bedroom one morning, when I was around eight years old.  I had never seen it before and my parents insist they didn't put it there.  I don't know who the items belonged to or how they ended up on my shelf.  Maybe my mother put them there without telling me, but that seems quite unlike her.

It was like finding a treasure chest!

Cellardoor14

• caviar and cigarettes... well versed in etiquette
« Reply #72 on: May 17, 2010, 08:20:24 AM »

Where did all my theatrical make-up, dance shoes, and costume jewellery go when we moved from Cape Town to London?

Mr Cellardoor swears it was the movers.  However, I definitely remember packing all those things and most of my underwear in a box, taping the thing entirely up and writing "FOR LUGGAGE DO NOT REMOVE" on the side.  That box then went into my luggage, on a plane, and to the UK.  However when I re-opened the box in London, only the underwear was in the box.

I lost a good bit of family jewellery that way... nothing was particularly valuable but it did have sentimental value.

Mr Cellardoor also lost most of his "comedy" ties in that move, but as it means he no longer owns that ugly puke-greenone with a giant fish shouting "Bass Kicking", I'm not going to complain.  And the man doesn't even fish.  ::)

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #73 on: May 17, 2010, 09:23:50 AM »
If I had a super-power, I would like it to be the ability to know where stuff went.

Nora

« Reply #74 on: May 17, 2010, 10:15:59 AM »
If I had a super-power, I would like it to be the ability to know where stuff went.

Oh, goodness. Me too!
Just because someone is offended that does not mean they are in the right.