It's ... mysterious ... how so many of us have the same type of mysteries.
- What happened to DXH's uncle? He left home one day to run and errand and ... steppped into oblivion. Amnesia? Accident? Homicide? Alien abduction? Draft dodging (this was in 1940)? No one knows. The missing persons case is still open and there are no more clues than the day he disappeared.
- Where did the strange butcher knife in my kitchen come from? DH says it wasn't his or his ex-wife's, and it sure wasn't part of my stuff when I moved in. It's a cheesy "always sharp" dimestore type. Did we accidentally bring it home, or someone accidentally leave it? No one has claimed in in 11 years. Does it really belong to another EHellion - and my kitchen is part of the portal system? (I already know that Einstein's ghost lives here - time and temperature when cooking in my kitchen are all relative, as in, things never take the same length of time or cook the same even at the same temperature.)
- What did DS do with my black crystal necklace? Last I saw it, he was about 1 1/2 and playing with it. But when I went to get him for dinner, it was gone. When we moved, I tore that house apart - I even pulled up the edges of the carpet and shone a flashlight down the heater vents. Nothing.
- What happens to the socks? I even dismantled the old washer and dryer to look through the innards before we gave them away - no trace. And since we got the new washer and dryer, no socks have disappeared. Did the gremlins go with the old set?
- What happened to the hideously ugly brown glass pitcher I was given as a souvenir of the end of the Berlin Wall? Did DH make good on his promise to break it/throw it away? He says no, and he's the world's worst liar - I can always tell when he's trying on even a minor fib.
We have earthquakes here (northern VA/DC region) too, occasionally. I remember one in 2004, I think, that shook the high-rise I worked in - turned out to have been centered near Annapolis. I was astonished when DS did a science fair project on seismic activity in VA, I had no idea there was so much of it around here.