Author Topic: Your own personal mysteries.  (Read 312322 times)

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
Re: Your own personal mysteries.
« Reply #75 on: May 17, 2010, 10:57:04 AM »
I have two...

When DH and I were engaged we were at a store and a man about 10 yrs older than us walked up to us and asked "how have you been" "haven't seen either of you lately" "how's the family"  and then went into more personal deatil asking about our jobs, clearly knowing where we both worked, asking us about the upcoming wedding saying he excited about attending.  After walking away, we both turned to each other "who was that".  Both of us were convinced we had never met him before.  I may not be great with faces all the time but I'm excellent with voices and I know I'd never heard him before.  We kept thinking it might be a scam as he could have seen my engagement ring but no wedding ring, but neither of us had anything on us that would indicate the companies where we worked.  We were really hoping he'd show for the wedding, but we never saw him again.  It bugs me to this day.

The second one is a lost item.  When my DS was a baby, he'd play with my jewelry.  One day, at home I was sitting on our sofa.  He started on my necklace so I took it off and had it in my hand talking with my DH.  The phone rang, my DH took DS.  I went to answer the phone.  After the call, I realized I didn't have the necklace in my hand anymore.  We looked everywhere in that room, even undressing DS to make sure he wasn't in his diaper.  Neither of us had left the room, nothing was thrown away between taking the necklace off and starting our hunt.  The distance from the sofa to phone was less than 5 feet.  We decided it must have gotten lost inside the sofa.  After about 4 years, we were replacing the sofa, so I ripped it apart, completely shredded and dismantled it.  No necklace. I LOVED THAT NECKLACE!

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #76 on: May 17, 2010, 12:31:21 PM »
My house is a black hole for forks, knives and binkis.  Though I suspect the cats have something to do with the binky disappearances.  I expect to find a whole pile of them when we finally clean out the basement.  And I think the forks/knives have plain just been accidentally tossed.  I used to have 8 dinner forks and 8 salad forks.  I think I'm down to 2 dinner forks and 5 salad forks and 3 knives. 

But I'm dying to know what happened to the kids' Aquadoodle mat.  Thanksgiving weekend, I was searching high and low for the water pen but couldn't find it.  So I, being the resourceful mom that I am  :P, cut up a new sponge into shapes and let them stamp instead.  When they were done, I rolled it up and put it back in it's spot on the playroom bookshelf.  For Christmas, I found a pack of Aquadoodle tools and got them.  But when I went to get the mat...it was gone.  Haven't seen it since.  I've looked behind, under and around furniture, in DH's pit of an office, in their room, everywhere.  Gone.  I suspect it was pitched but I can't imagine how that happened.

This one is a little stranger and the story itself is quite long, so I'll try to make it short.

I was in a car accident when I was 16.  I started to spin on some gravel while going around an S curve.  I was not speeding but instead of taking my foot off the gas and steering through it, I stomped on the brake and made things much worse.  I swear I heard a voice tell me to duck and so I did.  The car rolled down a ravine and was stopped from going into the river by a tree that was about 6" in diameter.  I crawled out mostly uninjured.  The roof had been crushed in and had I not ducked, I'm sure I would have had much more severe injuries, if not death.  (the cop who took the report could not believe I was in the vehicle.  The only injury I sustained was a small scratch on my hand and I got that crawling through the window.  I must have scratched it on the safety glass.

Fortunately, this did not happen far from my home and a neighbor (N) drove me there so I could call my dad at work (car factory). (My mom and sisters were out of town)  I tried for 30 minutes to get his supervisor to at least tell him what was going on but he couldn't/wouldn't.  Finally, we gave up and decided to go back to the car and call the cops for the report.  We got out to N's truck and she realized she'd left her keys on the counter.  I dashed back in to get them and the phone rang.  It was my dad and the first words out of his mouth were "Oh, I see the paramedics have managed to separate the phone from your ear."  I assumed the sup told dad what was going on, so I said, "Oh, Dad, I'm so sorry about the car.  I'm okay but I think it's totaled."

Long silence.  "What on earth are you talking about"? said my dad.  Turned out, he had been trying to call me the whole time I was calling him.  (This was back in the stone age, before call waiting).  He thought I was yapping with one of my friends and he just wanted to remind me to let the horses out of the barn (something I'd done hours ago, as it was one of my morning chores).  Even he didn't know why he felt so compelled to remind me to do something I did every.single.day before breakfast.  It was just weird.  And his comment was weird.  That whole day was weird.  I had been on my way home from the bank.  The whole morning, I kept feeling like something was going to happen but I didn't know what.  I was thinking bank robbery and when nothing happened, I decided I was crazy.  Guess not.

DangerMouth

• Work as if you were in the early days of a better nation.
  • Super Hero!
  • Everybody Gets Ice Cream!
« Reply #77 on: May 17, 2010, 12:44:35 PM »
My house is a black hole for forks, knives and binkis.  Though I suspect the cats have something to do with the binky disappearances.  I expect to find a whole pile of them when we finally clean out the basement.  And I think the forks/knives have plain just been accidentally tossed.  I used to have 8 dinner forks and 8 salad forks.  I think I'm down to 2 dinner forks and 5 salad forks and 3 knives. 

But I'm dying to know what happened to the kids' Aquadoodle mat.  Thanksgiving weekend, I was searching high and low for the water pen but couldn't find it.  So I, being the resourceful mom that I am  :P, cut up a new sponge into shapes and let them stamp instead.  When they were done, I rolled it up and put it back in it's spot on the playroom bookshelf.  For Christmas, I found a pack of Aquadoodle tools and got them.  But when I went to get the mat...it was gone.  Haven't seen it since.  I've looked behind, under and around furniture, in DH's pit of an office, in their room, everywhere.  Gone.  I suspect it was pitched but I can't imagine how that happened.

This one is a little stranger and the story itself is quite long, so I'll try to make it short.

I was in a car accident when I was 16.  I started to spin on some gravel while going around an S curve.  I was not speeding but instead of taking my foot off the gas and steering through it, I stomped on the brake and made things much worse.  I swear I heard a voice tell me to duck and so I did.  The car rolled down a ravine and was stopped from going into the river by a tree that was about 6" in diameter.  I crawled out mostly uninjured.  The roof had been crushed in and had I not ducked, I'm sure I would have had much more severe injuries, if not death.  (the cop who took the report could not believe I was in the vehicle.  The only injury I sustained was a small scratch on my hand and I got that crawling through the window.  I must have scratched it on the safety glass.

Fortunately, this did not happen far from my home and a neighbor (N) drove me there so I could call my dad at work (car factory). (My mom and sisters were out of town)  I tried for 30 minutes to get his supervisor to at least tell him what was going on but he couldn't/wouldn't.  Finally, we gave up and decided to go back to the car and call the cops for the report.  We got out to N's truck and she realized she'd left her keys on the counter.  I dashed back in to get them and the phone rang.  It was my dad and the first words out of his mouth were "Oh, I see the paramedics have managed to separate the phone from your ear."  I assumed the sup told dad what was going on, so I said, "Oh, Dad, I'm so sorry about the car.  I'm okay but I think it's totaled."

Long silence.  "What on earth are you talking about"? said my dad.  Turned out, he had been trying to call me the whole time I was calling him.  (This was back in the stone age, before call waiting).  He thought I was yapping with one of my friends and he just wanted to remind me to let the horses out of the barn (something I'd done hours ago, as it was one of my morning chores).  Even he didn't know why he felt so compelled to remind me to do something I did every.single.day before breakfast.  It was just weird.  And his comment was weird.  That whole day was weird.  I had been on my way home from the bank.  The whole morning, I kept feeling like something was going to happen but I didn't know what.  I was thinking bank robbery and when nothing happened, I decided I was crazy.  Guess not.

Wha...? Why would he mention paramedics if he didn't know you'd been in an accident?

POF

« Reply #78 on: May 17, 2010, 12:48:29 PM »
Where do my salad forks go to?  And why do I have so many butter knives?  Are the forks converting to butter knives in secret?

My small spoons do this ....... I have a bazillion butter knives ......

MDefarge

• Formerly known as Irishone
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #79 on: May 17, 2010, 12:49:11 PM »
Wha...? Why would he mention paramedics if he didn't know you'd been in an accident?

I assume he was trying to make a joke along the lines of "that phone must be attached/stuck to her because I've been trying to call for a long time."

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #80 on: May 17, 2010, 02:24:34 PM »

I assume he was trying to make a joke along the lines of "that phone must be attached/stuck to her because I've been trying to call for a long time."

Yes, that's exactly right.  He had been trying to call me for the entire 30 minutes I'd been trying to call him and kept getting a busy signal.  He presumed I was doing the teenage girl thing and gabbing on the phone.  But the whole "paramedic" aspect was weird.  He even told me he didn't know why he said it that way. 

DangerMouth

• Work as if you were in the early days of a better nation.
  • Super Hero!
  • Everybody Gets Ice Cream!
« Reply #81 on: May 17, 2010, 02:50:09 PM »
Where do my salad forks go to?  And why do I have so many butter knives?  Are the forks converting to butter knives in secret?

My small spoons do this ....... I have a bazillion butter knives ......

When we combined household, my so had a standard set of eight placesettings for silverware, but like 36 spoons.

There's a reason I think he's a genius.

kitty-cat

« Reply #82 on: May 17, 2010, 03:22:52 PM »
Well, I do know where a lot of my parent's spoons went. They are currently in my silverware drawer at my apartment :P

Along with a frying pan, roasting pan, lid for the frying pan, and a few saucepans. Oh, and a whisk.

I hate cooking at my parents house now because all of their cooking stuff is at MY place :P

NE Florida

LeeLee88

« Reply #83 on: May 17, 2010, 03:26:30 PM »

Where did all my theatrical make-up, dance shoes, and costume jewellery go when we moved from Cape Town to London?

Mr Cellardoor swears it was the movers.  However, I definitely remember packing all those things and most of my underwear in a box, taping the thing entirely up and writing "FOR LUGGAGE DO NOT REMOVE" on the side.  That box then went into my luggage, on a plane, and to the UK.  However when I re-opened the box in London, only the underwear was in the box.

I lost a good bit of family jewellery that way... nothing was particularly valuable but it did have sentimental value.

Mr Cellardoor also lost most of his "comedy" ties in that move, but as it means he no longer owns that ugly puke-greenone with a giant fish shouting "Bass Kicking", I'm not going to complain.  And the man doesn't even fish.  ::)

Oh no... that sounds so sad for you... I can tell you're absolutely crushed  ;) :P

JoanOfArc

« Reply #84 on: May 17, 2010, 03:37:04 PM »
I've always wondered why I was one in my family with learning disabilities.  I mean, boys are slightly more likely than girls to end up with them, so why me and not my brother?  Not that I would wish them on any one, but it is just...odd.  

I've also always wondered where my brother's and my ability to read quickly came from.  It isn't from my parents.  We can both finish an entire (300 page or so) book in about two hours, sometimes less.   (I've read Stephanie Plum mysteries in less than an hour.)  I also have a memory like no other- I can remember entire passages from books I read when I was eight and I'm 24.  However, that memory does not extend to math or spelling.  I can't spell basic words (thank goodness for spell check).  Why can I remember the entire first paragraph of Dealing with Dragons and not how to spell 'sensibility'?  Especially when the ability to spell is more useful than remembering lines from The Tempest.  
Chicken-keeper, welder, artist, student and lover of all things literary.

kingsrings

• Super Hero!
« Reply #85 on: May 17, 2010, 03:54:14 PM »
*13 years ago around Christmastime, I received a Christmas card from an unknown person. It said something along the lines of, "Dear Kingsrings: you are the most beautiful woman I've ever known. I wish you and yours a Merry Christmas". No name or return address. The postal stamp was too faded for the post office to be able to read the zip code. My apt. number was written on the envelope in a different handwriting than the rest of the address, which meant the sender didn't know my apt. number. To this day, I haven't a clue as to who sent the letter.

*I have also mysteriously lost several items while moving at different times in my life. I'd love to esp. know what happened to a lot of the programs from the theatrical productions I've acted in. Quite a few have been lost, and it's saddening as I like to scrapbook that stuff. The same goes for some of my scripts.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #86 on: May 17, 2010, 04:01:33 PM »
I'd like to know where my retainer went to, 35 years ago.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

LibraryLady

« Reply #87 on: May 17, 2010, 04:05:50 PM »
I would like to know (at that time I lived alone) who put my ivy (I was trying to root some pothos ivey in a coke bottle) on the floor in the middle of the kitchen.

It was not there when I left for work; however it was there when I got home that evening.

Inquiring minds.

Also did anyone receive a pseudo=newspaper all about weight loss with a hand written notation to the effect "why don't/why haven't your tried this"?

LL

Suze

• I live in the real world. I play in the Middle Ages.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #88 on: May 17, 2010, 04:32:38 PM »
i would like to know why my closet keep "shrinking" my clothes.

(yes for me it is "hand to mouth" syndrome -- I am trying to do better really)
Reality is for people who lack Imagination

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #89 on: May 17, 2010, 04:45:29 PM »
Oooooh, Cathy that's so weird!!

I still really want to know what happened to my glasses. My parents were annoyed they had to buy me a new pair, but they simply were not there. I know exactly where I set them, I was only in the pool a couple of minutes, no one else was out there - where could they have gone? We searched all over the porch, the yard, and the kitchen.

Is it possible they're at the bottom of the pool?