Author Topic: Your own personal mysteries.  (Read 245150 times)

2littlemonkeys

Re: Your own personal mysteries.
« Reply #135 on: May 18, 2010, 02:31:34 PM »
Oh!  The bread story reminded me of something that happened just last week. 

Where did the tortillas come from?

We were all at the kitchen table eating dinner.  It was Taco Night at our house.  All of a sudden, we heard a *smack* and turned to find the tortilla package laying in the middle of the kitchen floor.  None of us remember where the package was originally and if it were sitting on the counter (maybe on top of something else and it slid off), it wouldn't have landed where it did.  I'm *sure* there is a perfectly rational explanation for why this happened.  We just don't know what it is...

magicdomino

« Reply #136 on: May 18, 2010, 03:42:32 PM »
I sometimes wonder what my last name is.  Not the third-generation version that is on my birth certificate, but the original old-country version.  While my grandmother's whole immediate family emigrated from Eastern Europe, my grandfather was the only one of his family.  (Very romantic:  he followed his sweetheart as soon as he could scape up the fare.  Which was a good thing, because she was three months pregnant by the time he got here.   ;) )  He changed his last name to make it easier to pronounce (didn't help, BTW), but apparently this was after he left Ellis Island, because that version isn't on record.  Also, Grandfather's family originated in a different country; I'm not sure if he was even born in the same country as Grandma.  No one much cared about the original spelling, and any contact with relatives left behind stopped when Eastern Europe was behind the Iron Curtain.  Now, any one who knew what the original spelling was, has passed away or can't remember. 

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #137 on: May 18, 2010, 04:29:41 PM »
Years ago I had an answering machine that called the operator all on its own. It was very sporadic and I could never figure out a pattern. Sometimes it would be in the middle of the night and I would be awoken, quite startled, to the sound of a click and then "Operator 9 (or whatever number that particular operator had) can I help you? ....Hello Operator 9 can I help you?...Is anyone there?"

Sometimes it happened when I was awake, in the other room. I suppose I should have answered it then, but I never did.

Sometimes I would come home to find the message light blinking, indicating I had a message, only to find it was from some operator asking if she could help me.

It was quite bizarre. Nobody ever had an explanation.
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.

MizB

« Reply #138 on: May 18, 2010, 04:35:15 PM »
*want updates* I also have a story though, that I will add when I have more time!
‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’  attributed to Edmund Burke 1729-1797

ginlyn32

• Super Hero!
« Reply #139 on: May 18, 2010, 04:53:00 PM »
CathyF, I have a Missing Glasses story!

About 3 years ago, I went to the store and had the grocery bags on the table. we went swimming at our subdivison's pool. I had set my glasses down on the table. We had put everything away before we went to the store and then went to the pool.

I searched the house from top to bottom. No glasses. I even went to the pool and looked on all the tables there thinking maybe I wore them over and forgot.

I ended up having to buy new glasses. Good thing I have prescription sunglasses because I need glasses in order to drive. I figured the glasses would turn up once I bought new. Nope...didn't happen.

I then figured we'd find them when we moved a year later...nope. Never did find those glasses. I think they accidently got thrown away when the kids were putting away groceries and throwing away bags.

ginlyn
Don't Tread On Me!!!!!

Scritzy

• Please do not adjust your set.
  • Super Hero!
  • Passing through the iris of the world ...
« Reply #140 on: May 18, 2010, 04:54:26 PM »
Chip wears his cell phone at his waist. If he bumps against something a certain way, the phone will automatically redial the last number dialed. Very weird.
Dragons

SC
It will pass. Or not.

Tierrainney

• Where the swans winter
« Reply #141 on: May 18, 2010, 05:25:21 PM »

Also did anyone receive a pseudo=newspaper all about weight loss with a hand written notation to the effect "why don't/why haven't your tried this"?

LL

Not a mystery   :) .  This was a advertising junk mail scam for a while.  I haven't heard of it in ages because now it's much cheaper to spam. 

I was able to make my MIL feel better when she got one because she was sure one of her friends or relations was trying to tell her something.

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

sbtier

• Super Hero!
« Reply #142 on: May 18, 2010, 05:52:47 PM »

Also did anyone receive a pseudo=newspaper all about weight loss with a hand written notation to the effect "why don't/why haven't your tried this"?

LL
I got one a few weeks ago and posted about it as an example of bad advertising.

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #143 on: May 18, 2010, 05:55:01 PM »
These stories are bringing back memories of things I've almost forgotten!

Who was calling Crazy Man?

Years ago, I had 2 roommates.  One day, the phone rang and the gentleman (I use the term loosely) asked for the roommate in charge of the phone bill (it was in her name, we all just gave her money).  He then proceed to rant and rave at her because someone from this number kept calling his house and hanging up and he was darn well sick and tired of it.  He had caller ID and records to show the cops if this didn't stop.  

She apologized and asked for more details (i.e. when the calls were made, etc.)  He told her they were made at a time absolutely no one was in the house, we were all at work.  We did have a roommate who was capable of being a total bacon fed knave, so we did some checking to make sure he or one of his friends weren't misbehaving.  According to our itemized phone bill, this person's number was never called from our phone.  At any time, day or night.  He called a few more times threatening to sue us for harassment but my roommate told him what we'd learned and if he called HER one more time, he'd be the one in trouble.  I'm not sure if that was legally accurate but he never did call back.

But I wonder what that was all about?

Also, What Was That Smell?

I have this one listed in the Ghost Story thread.  Basically, I came home from work one winter day and put my things in my bedroom.  Which reeeeeeeeked of Eau de Very Cheap Perfume.  It was nauseating.  I started hunting around the room, thinking a bottle or something spilled.  Nothing was found.  I went to apologize to my roommates for the stench and discovered you could only smell it in my room.  The very next day, the smell was completely gone.  I found this weird because my sister broke a bottle of perfume in my dorm bathroom and though I scrubbed the tile down about 90,569,023,252 times, the smell was extremely overpowering for a couple of weeks and you could smell it all the way down the hall.  We did ask my landlord who lived below us but he knew nothing about it.

happygrrl

• Happy Girlie OI OI OI
« Reply #144 on: May 18, 2010, 06:31:55 PM »
I have another mystery. (still haven't found those spoons either...)

I was doing laundry this morning. I have brand new machines, put there by maintenance. I am the only person to have done laundry in that washer. My husband is not up to any mischief.

So where did the white size 8 ladies' panties come from?

ZOMG, I had forgotten about this until I read the above post.

I was hanging up clothes on DH's side of the closet, and I moved some shirts back to hang some others, and out fell a ladies short, white, nylon nightgown that was in a much larger size than I wore. It was used, so it couldn't have been a forgotten gift (and it was literally XXX bigger than my size anyhow). There were no clothes that had came back from the cleaners, so that was out of the question, and DH swears he had nothing to do with it. (And I believe him.) It gave me weird vibes when I picked it up, so I ended up sticking it in a box, sealed it with duct tape, and took it to the outdoor garbage can.
"I am the laziest person on Earth. I want to learn to photosynthesize so I can buy a sun lamp and survive without getting out of bed."  M-theory 11/23/10

aventurine

• Super Hero!
  • Mean, but agreeable
« Reply #145 on: May 18, 2010, 06:49:13 PM »
This one isn't much of a mystery, but it did have us shaking our heads and laughing for awhile.

My DH got a call from a guy looking for his girlfriend.  He refused to take DH's word that the cell phone number must have been reassigned, and kept accusing DH of being with his girlfriend and offering to come over and deliver a whuppin'.  (Come over where?  Dude, you're talking to a cell phone).  

DH answered the guy's calls for kicks a couple of times until he got bored with it.

"A child of five could understand this.  Send someone to fetch a child of five." - Groucho Marx

Micah

« Reply #146 on: May 18, 2010, 07:13:21 PM »
What happened to divide our entire family during the Great Depression? Apparently our family was very large and quite wealthy. During the Depression my side of the family did something that resulted in us basically being given the cut direct....to this day! No one in my family knows what happened and the other side refuses to allow contact.

A customer with my last name came in to work a couple of years ago. He was very friendly and interested to hear we had the same name, until i told him what part of Australia my father and his parents are from. The smile vanished, he snatched his credit card back off me and walked out without another word.  ??? I just want to know what we're supposed to have done! And whatever it was, it isn't my fault! I wasn't born!
Mulder: "So...Lunch?"
Scully: "Mulder, toads just fell from the sky!"
Mulder: "Maybe their parachutes didn't open."

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #147 on: May 18, 2010, 07:15:52 PM »
CathyF, I have a Missing Glasses story!
ginlyn

Me too ... one night, back in 2001, I took my glasses off one night when I went to bed. That was the last time I ever saw them. Ex and I tore up the bedroom the next day looking for them - they never reappeared, and have never, despite four moves. Thank goodness I had my old spare pair to get through until I could get into the optician!
Words mean things.

MeeLee

« Reply #148 on: May 18, 2010, 07:25:15 PM »
When I was about 12 years old, I stayed over night at a friends house. There were three of us there. We were alone, and we kept getting phone calls every hour on the hour all night long until 5 in the morning.All we could hear was heavy breathing. We thought it may have been one of our friends but all of them denied it. Anyways, about a week later, I was home alone, and I got calls every hour on the hour. Same thing, heavy breathing. I thought my friends from the sleepover ere doing it, but that was impossible since both of them were away, and cell phones weren't really around then. The next weekend, my friend got the phone calls, and then the week after that my last friend got the phone calls. Both were home alone, and none of us did it. After the call to my second friend, the calls stopped. I still have no idea who that was, and if they knew we were home alone.

hot_shaker

• Super Hero!
  • Friendly EHell Crank
« Reply #149 on: May 18, 2010, 07:33:22 PM »
When I was about 12 years old, I stayed over night at a friends house. There were three of us there. We were alone, and we kept getting phone calls every hour on the hour all night long until 5 in the morning.All we could hear was heavy breathing. We thought it may have been one of our friends but all of them denied it. Anyways, about a week later, I was home alone, and I got calls every hour on the hour. Same thing, heavy breathing. I thought my friends from the sleepover ere doing it, but that was impossible since both of them were away, and cell phones weren't really around then. The next weekend, my friend got the phone calls, and then the week after that my last friend got the phone calls. Both were home alone, and none of us did it. After the call to my second friend, the calls stopped. I still have no idea who that was, and if they knew we were home alone.

Oh, that sounds like a creepy teen horror book!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Trust me, I'm a scientist.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Raised on the East Coast,
living in the Mid-West.