Author Topic: Your own personal mysteries.  (Read 302663 times)

Reika

Re: Your own personal mysteries.
« Reply #1620 on: January 12, 2012, 12:04:35 AM »
Where did all of that sweet potato in the oven come from?

I baked a sweet potato for myself, a white potato for DH, and some chicken breasts for supper.  At one point I heard a kind of pop and thought "Oh, poot, one of those potatoes just blew up."  I checked them.  No blowout.

But in a little while I started smelling sweet potato, and when I went to take them out for supper, there was a mound of orange sweet potato innards on the floor of the oven. 

The potato skin was whole.  When I cut into it, there was no sign that any of it was missing.  So where did the potato on the floor of the oven come from?

I bet there's someone else in the world going "Where'd that dang potato go?"

Though I did have a bit of a giggle at the thought of a teleporting sweet potato.

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
« Reply #1621 on: January 12, 2012, 12:20:43 AM »
Whenever I bake sweet potatoes, they always ooze a little bit. I have to put a pan underneath so I don't have to clean up rock-hard carmelized potato from the bottom of the oven.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1622 on: January 12, 2012, 11:08:53 AM »
I'll do that next time, thanks.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #1623 on: January 12, 2012, 11:26:46 AM »
What do I keep getting on my tops?  I keep pulling shirts out of my wardrobe to find they appear to have oil-based stains on them, which don't come out in a normal wash.

Thankfully DH does something-or-other to them that gets them good as new - I love him so much!

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #1624 on: January 12, 2012, 11:30:40 AM »
What do I keep getting on my tops?  I keep pulling shirts out of my wardrobe to find they appear to have oil-based stains on them, which don't come out in a normal wash.

Thankfully DH does something-or-other to them that gets them good as new - I love him so much!

Did you drop some sort of food that would have oil in them (something like pasta sauce or chocolate)?  My kids do this all the time and while I get the food out, sometimes the oil stays behind and I have to hit it with one of those stain treaters.  Fortunately, this usually works in spite of the garment having been through the dryer.

magicdomino

« Reply #1625 on: January 12, 2012, 11:37:00 AM »

I get mysterious rusty-looking drops.  They can appear on the shoulders or back, as well as sleeves or the front, so they aren't food.  I've never notice one when taking off a shirt, which means they are either invisible until they've sat awhile, or the clothing is getting splashed while in the laundry basket (but with what???).  Of course, I never see the spots until I pull the shirt out of the dryer, and the stain is set.  So far, they are impervious to Oxy-clean, chlorine bleach, and rust treatment.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1626 on: January 12, 2012, 11:43:09 AM »
magicdomino, do you know if there is high iron in your water?  Or if your washing machine is either old or one of those dang front loaders that doesn't properly get rid of all the water after the cycle is done?

There is a product called Red-B-Gone which is designed to take out rust stains.

My washer is one of those ones with leftover water and my water has high iron so when I'm doing laundry, I always do my dark load first so if there is some stuff in the water, the stains aren't very noticeable.  I also use some oxyclean in every load and it seems to help.

For grease stains, I use a little Lestoil.  Even worked on car grease!
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1627 on: January 12, 2012, 11:52:05 AM »
Re mystery 'grease' spots - do you use a fabric softener sheet in the dryer?  And do you leave the clothes in there after the cycle is over? It may be picking up something from the dryer sheet if it's left to sit. That's one of the reasons that I don't use them. (Dislike the smell is another.)
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #1628 on: January 12, 2012, 12:01:28 PM »
The drip patterns look like food, but I don't recall dropping so much food on myself!  I don't use dryer sheets either, and I take stuff out as soon as it is done.

The stains tend to go in a more or less straight line down the front.  Maybe I am losing it enough that I don't even know when I am covered in food!  I'll have to get one of these:

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1629 on: January 12, 2012, 12:13:23 PM »
^^^  Oh, those bibs are the BEST thing ever invented!  They're especially helpful when you're eating in a restaurant.  Keeps the crumbs and slush pretty much contained in one spot --  and off the floor.  I think the servers are grateful.   ;D

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #1630 on: January 12, 2012, 01:57:12 PM »
Where did all of that sweet potato in the oven come from?

I baked a sweet potato for myself, a white potato for DH, and some chicken breasts for supper.  At one point I heard a kind of pop and thought "Oh, poot, one of those potatoes just blew up."  I checked them.  No blowout.

But in a little while I started smelling sweet potato, and when I went to take them out for supper, there was a mound of orange sweet potato innards on the floor of the oven. 

The potato skin was whole.  When I cut into it, there was no sign that any of it was missing.  So where did the potato on the floor of the oven come from?

I bet there's someone else in the world going "Where'd that dang potato go?"

Though I did have a bit of a giggle at the thought of a teleporting sweet potato.

This makes me think of a funny story, called I Has a Sweet Potato: http://littera-abactor.livejournal.com/7748.html
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #1631 on: January 15, 2012, 01:24:25 PM »

This was solved but kind of funny -

A package from Amazon showed up addressed Loren and Brett. It didn't have a sender's name.

She texted me - because I buy a good deal from there. I didn't send anything. I speculated that a cousin may have sent it as a late Christmas gift.

Sis ended up posting to Facebook. I was right - Cousin had sent it. (Sis sent her 3 kids Christmas gifts earlier). Cousin said there should have been a note.

Sis went back through the packaging - the note was there. The way it was printed sis's dyslexic mind only saw the Logo. (I also just saw the logo till sis pointed out the other print.)
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Kaora

• I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band
« Reply #1632 on: January 17, 2012, 10:05:59 PM »
Catching up with topic now.  I have one to post, though if I've posted this before, forgive me.  :)

A few years ago, in 2008, my BF lent me a book called Into The Land Of Unicorns by Bruce Coville.  It's a kids book, but we like reading them, they tend to be lighter and funner than a lot of books out there.  See also: We're still Wild Mass Guessing over the Riordan-verse, and the next book.

When I read it, he told me not to get too involved, the author gave up after this book.  So I read it, and did my own personal research for curiosity, and as far as we could tell, nope, author didn't do anymore and focused on other series, and we were sadder for it.

Now, fast forward to the end of last year.  I, for fun and frolic, look the book up on Wikipedia.  Not only does the book have a sequel all of a sudden, its an entire series that was completed, and some of the sequels were published way before 2008.  One was even 1998, if I remember.

To double check, I start a nice casual chat with BF over Google.  I ask him about the series, and he eventually ends up searching for it on his own.  Just as shocked as I was, since, where we're both concerned, we last know it for having no other books.

Really, what part of reality turned on its head?  Someone care to try and clear this one up?  :o

Please don't think I'm nuts...   ???

Sluggyfan

« Reply #1633 on: January 18, 2012, 12:37:41 AM »
WHOA whoa whoa whoa.

I distinctly remember reading Into the Land of the Unicorns as a child, because I was a Bruce Coville fan girl. Loved his short story compilations, loved the my teacher books, loved the magic shop books. And I distinctly remember waiting for the next one to come out, and being super disappointed because it looked like Coville just wasn't into it anymore. Finding out that there are more is pretty much a shocker.

Though, if your BF read them when he was young as well, I can see where the confusion set in for both of us. The first was published in 1994, the next in 1999. A five year gap is pretty large in series books. The third, it seems, wasn't published until 2008! Wow. So, if BF hit them between 1994 and 1999, there was every indication that Coville wasn't really going anywhere with the series. I wonder if he didn't say something to that effect at some point, because I was seriously convinced that this was a one off.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 12:40:56 AM by Sluggyfan »

Seraphia

• Unabashed cat person
« Reply #1634 on: January 20, 2012, 02:47:31 PM »
I was broken-hearted when Coville didn't write any more Unicorns books while I was in grade school. I loved that book! Where's my Kindle? I have books to buy!
Ancora Imparo - I am still learning