Author Topic: Your own personal mysteries.  (Read 244766 times)

Baby Snakes

Re: Your own personal mysteries.
« Reply #1830 on: November 06, 2012, 12:14:27 PM »
I have had two small, personal care items disappear over the last year.  I do my own pedicures as I don't like other people touching my feet, so I own a pedicure set which is kept in a basket in the top drawer of my night table.  This particular set had a rasp with a smooth side and a rough side for removing dead skin.  The next time I went to get it it was not in the basket, nobody had borrowed it, and after tearing the house apart with no luck I replaced it.  The second one has now disappared and neither DH nor DS have used it.  I read on another forum that you can ask aloud for whoever (whatever?) took the item to please replace it.  This has not worked.

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
« Reply #1831 on: November 06, 2012, 01:15:48 PM »
I have had two small, personal care items disappear over the last year.  I do my own pedicures as I don't like other people touching my feet, so I own a pedicure set which is kept in a basket in the top drawer of my night table.  This particular set had a rasp with a smooth side and a rough side for removing dead skin.  The next time I went to get it it was not in the basket, nobody had borrowed it, and after tearing the house apart with no luck I replaced it.  The second one has now disappared and neither DH nor DS have used it.  I read on another forum that you can ask aloud for whoever (whatever?) took the item to please replace it.  This has not worked.

Do you have a vent nearby that they could have fallen into? You would not believe what I find in mine, including stuff I never would have guessed could fit through the slats.

Baby Snakes

« Reply #1832 on: November 06, 2012, 01:43:10 PM »

Do you have a vent nearby that they could have fallen into? You would not believe what I find in mine, including stuff I never would have guessed could fit through the slats.

The only vent in the room is on the other wall next to the dresser.  We have wall vents in our house, so there is no way it would have fallen in there.  Thanks for the suggestion anyway!

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #1833 on: November 06, 2012, 03:28:41 PM »
I'm trying to get my gremlin to give up the charger to my cheap little tablet. It's annoying to know I had the blasted thing, but now its nowhere to be found.

Would you see if he has the system restore CDs for my laptop? They are nowhere to be found, and my computer desperately needs a good wipe & reinstall!
"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Reika

« Reply #1834 on: November 06, 2012, 07:05:24 PM »
I'm trying to get my gremlin to give up the charger to my cheap little tablet. It's annoying to know I had the blasted thing, but now its nowhere to be found.

Would you see if he has the system restore CDs for my laptop? They are nowhere to be found, and my computer desperately needs a good wipe & reinstall!

If I can get him to cough up my charger, I hope he'll cough up your CDs. He's being stubborn about the charger though.

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1835 on: November 07, 2012, 02:12:47 PM »
When I was pregnant with my daughter, I was given her paternal grandmother's gold baby ring, which I wore around my neck on a chain.  As my daughter got older, I would let her wear it, which she very much enjoyed.  About a year ago, the ring went missing.  I was sad, as was she, but what do you do.  Around the time the ring went missing I started dating my current boyfriend.  I had been to his house, but my daughter never had when maybe 9 months ago I saw something shiny stuck in his hallway carpeting.  It was that ring. 

Fast forward to perhaps three months ago when the ring went missing again. (You would think I would learn to not let a child wear an heirloom, but I digress).  Last weekend I was sweeping my dining room, as I always do.  Except this time I saw something shiny in the corner under her toychest.  It was that ring.  We were both pretty excited....until she was brushing her teeth later that night and the ring slipped off her finger and down the drain.  Would you believe that I took the sink apart and got that ring out of the pipes?  I did. 

I really hope she has the ring when she comes back from her dad's.  I am mostly confused how the ring ended up in my boyfriend's house, months after it went missing, when my daughter had never been there at that time.

Reika

« Reply #1836 on: November 07, 2012, 10:27:38 PM »
I have found out what happened to my tablet charger. Mom accidentally threw it out when she changed my garbage. She said she saw a strange wire, didn't think anything of it, and just put it in the trash. How she didn't realize it was a charger I will never understand.

No luck in contacting the company that made my cheap tablet, I may spring for a Google Nexus in a few weeks. In the mean time (and totally first world problem), I miss having my tablet for when I'm out and about.

snowdragon

« Reply #1837 on: November 07, 2012, 11:02:34 PM »
I have found out what happened to my tablet charger. Mom accidentally threw it out when she changed my garbage. She said she saw a strange wire, didn't think anything of it, and just put it in the trash. How she didn't realize it was a charger I will never understand.

No luck in contacting the company that made my cheap tablet, I may spring for a Google Nexus in a few weeks. In the mean time (and totally first world problem), I miss having my tablet for when I'm out and about.

Try the dollar store, they have chargers for random things here - it might work for yours too

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #1838 on: November 08, 2012, 12:12:37 AM »

Try the dollar store, they have chargers for random things here - it might work for yours too

if I uses a standard micro USB port, you can get a new one at any electronics store.
"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Reika

« Reply #1839 on: November 08, 2012, 05:27:48 AM »
Yeah, I got a charger that fits the micro usb, and regular usb, port. Unfortunately, my idiot tablet registers it as me hooking it up to a computer, not the charger so it doesn't charge.

But I will check out the dollar store, that's a brilliant idea. Thank you. :)

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #1840 on: November 08, 2012, 07:03:44 AM »
Yeah, I got a charger that fits the micro usb, and regular usb, port. Unfortunately, my idiot tablet registers it as me hooking it up to a computer, not the charger so it doesn't charge.

Sometimes that's about the amperage (is that the right word?) I had a similar problem with a GPS unit. It only charges from the expensive charger. DH says that's because the expensive charger is rated 6A not 5.5A.  At least, I think that's what he said. But the point was that might apply to your situation.

Dr. F.

« Reply #1841 on: November 08, 2012, 09:30:01 AM »

Sometimes that's about the amperage (is that the right word?) I had a similar problem with a GPS unit. It only charges from the expensive charger. DH says that's because the expensive charger is rated 6A not 5.5A.  At least, I think that's what he said. But the point was that might apply to your situation.

Try a Radio Shack (if you are where they exist), they have a wall full of chargers and can usually find the right one. I had to replace one for my cheapie iPod speakers once, and actually managed to find it. The place where the charger plugs in will usually have the specs you need.

Reika

« Reply #1842 on: November 08, 2012, 03:10:07 PM »
The amperage is correct per the book (the tablet itself doesn't show that kind of detail). Hm, maybe I'll hit radio shack this weekend.

I really appreciate the suggestions, I knew EHell was the best place to go for good ideas. :)

Sterling

• Oh Stupid Me- Blogs about Things That Drive Me Crazy
« Reply #1843 on: November 08, 2012, 04:15:27 PM »
Where is the folder with my car title and the inheritance paperwork showing my dad left it to me?  I had it and then it was gone.  It has been almost a year. 
93 93/93

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Runs with scissors!
« Reply #1844 on: November 09, 2012, 09:10:34 PM »

My mother coils the chargers for her ereaders so tightly that they would fit on top of a store bought cookie (or a deck of standard sized cards - the short direction) then "squishes" them into ovals to make them fit in her little bag of connectors "better".  I am sure that she has broken wires in the various chargers - because some of them now take at least twice as long to charge as they used to (wall charger) or the computer no longer can "read" the device while it is supposed to be charging on a USB connection. 

I had a spare and gave it to her.  I can't give her the spare wall charger because I need one for my ereader (same make & model) and the USB cable that I am using came with a San Disk MP3 player - which we have three of and only ONE USB cable to be found (the one I swiped & put in my purple basket of cables, card readers, spare screen protectors, etc.). 

But those are safe - manly ghosts, husbands, and sons don't LOOK in bright purple baskets for things....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?