Author Topic: Your own personal mysteries.  (Read 274846 times)

Kaymyth

Re: Your own personal mysteries.
« Reply #1845 on: November 09, 2012, 10:34:08 PM »
I have found out what happened to my tablet charger. Mom accidentally threw it out when she changed my garbage. She said she saw a strange wire, didn't think anything of it, and just put it in the trash. How she didn't realize it was a charger I will never understand.

No luck in contacting the company that made my cheap tablet, I may spring for a Google Nexus in a few weeks. In the mean time (and totally first world problem), I miss having my tablet for when I'm out and about.

My mother coils the chargers for her ereaders so tightly that they would fit on top of a store bought cookie (or a deck of standard sized cards - the short direction) then "squishes" them into ovals to make them fit in her little bag of connectors "better".  I am sure that she has broken wires in the various chargers - because some of them now take at least twice as long to charge as they used to (wall charger) or the computer no longer can "read" the device while it is supposed to be charging on a USB connection. 

I had a spare and gave it to her.  I can't give her the spare wall charger because I need one for my ereader (same make & model) and the USB cable that I am using came with a San Disk MP3 player - which we have three of and only ONE USB cable to be found (the one I swiped & put in my purple basket of cables, card readers, spare screen protectors, etc.). 

But those are safe - manly ghosts, husbands, and sons don't LOOK in bright purple baskets for things....

Get your mom one of those self-winding USB chargers; they're on a spring like a tape measure, and wind up in a little circle in the middle.  That way she can compact it down into a teensy space without breaking the wire. :)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #1846 on: November 10, 2012, 02:30:39 PM »
The self winding chargers down't have the little device of some kind built into the cable that these charger cables have to have - it would interfere with the self winding.  A lot of readers have "proprietary" cables - either something in the cable, something in the adapter (if it is a USB cable and a wall plug), or the plug isn't a standard USB plug at one end (I'm thinking of an Apple iPad/iPod cable here). 

These have standard USB plugs at the computer end, the smaller USB tip at the other end (not the smallest - the middle sized one), and a large "bead" on the cable where something happens that makes it a very bad idea to use a regular USB cable.  I have a San Disk USB cable for an MP3 player, a cable for an external hard drive caddy, and a charging cable for a camera that have a similar "bead" on them and work with the reader in question - I just can't give Mom any of them because I need to keep them for the original device that they came with.  I did have a "spare" that I could give her.....but now she has the ONLY spare! 

I used to have a self winding USB mouse - but the wires ended up breaking (and the mouse quit working) after a bit over a year - so I'm not completely sure that a self-winding cable would be a long term solution.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Esther_bunny

• Life is too short for cheap chocolate!
« Reply #1847 on: November 13, 2012, 06:47:32 PM »
Great. Now I've been sucked in to reading creepypasta stories and DH just left for practice. :P

*new*mommyagain36

« Reply #1848 on: November 14, 2012, 09:39:35 AM »
Why is it that every time I move I lose a box of stuff?  I moved from my parent's house to my first apt., lost a box of childhood keepsakes.  Moved from 1st apt to new apt, lost a box of wedding presents.  Moved from apt. back home (divorce) lost a box of Easter decorations.  Moved from home to new home, lost a box of yearbooks and photos.  Each time I have thoroughly looked through seemingly empty apt or storage space, gone through every closet, etc and I think I have everything then once I am settled in new space I realize that 1 box is missing.  I have even numbered the boxes as I filled them and still lost that one box.  The Easter box was #20 of 35 and lo and behold I had 1-19 and 21-35 when I got settled.  I have always moved these boxes myself in my personal car.  The things I have lost have always been irreplaceable too, photos from childhood, homemade items, the yearbooks.  It stinks and I can't figure out what is happening here.  The next time I move I'm making sure that sentimental things are not all together in one box for fear that will be the 1 box I lose.
"Oh people can come up with statistics to prove anything.  14% of people know that" - Homer Simpson

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #1849 on: November 14, 2012, 09:49:18 AM »
Apparently, the antique table in the basement is an Arcane Repository for Important Missing Stuff. We not only found my mother's diamond watch there (an earlier story), but now some legal documents that were supposed to be in the lockbox showed up in its drawer.

And my medium-sized suitcase has started materializing stuff from several trips ago, that had disappeared despite a complete search of every crevice. It's nice to get it back, yes, but where was it in the meantime?
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1850 on: November 14, 2012, 10:32:51 AM »
And my medium-sized suitcase has started materializing stuff from several trips ago, that had disappeared despite a complete search of every crevice. It's nice to get it back, yes, but where was it in the meantime?

Twik, if a bunch of Canadian $20 bills show up in your suitcase, they're mine.  Could you mail them back to me?   ;)

(I went on vacation to the States, took most of my Canadian money out of my wallet and stashed it at home.  I went to put the money back in my wallet and I can't find it!  It wasn't where I thought I put it.  I've checked a few other likely locations - no dice.  I trust the people who have keys to my house and I wasn't burgled or other stuff would be missing, like my laptop.  It will be a pleasant surprise when it finally does turn up, since it was a fairly significant wad of cash.)
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #1851 on: November 16, 2012, 08:55:33 PM »
If anyone finds three pairs of underwear, brand-new (!!!) and three hoodies, (one black with fuzzy hood, one brown with fuzzy hood, and one navy blue) I'd like them back, please.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #1852 on: November 16, 2012, 09:56:13 PM »
What colour were the undies? I suddenly have about ten pair in my laundry pile that I don't recall buying.

Can't help you with the hoodies. I can't find mine either.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1853 on: November 18, 2012, 04:30:57 PM »
where the mustard and ketchup I bought after having to clean out my fridge after Hurricane Sandy went. I replenished 2 weeks ago, and the mystery was solved today.  Found them on the floor in the back of my car.  Must have fallen out.  in the meantime, I bought 3 other kinds of mustard! 

Kaora

• I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band
« Reply #1854 on: November 18, 2012, 05:36:43 PM »
Maybe its some sort of quantum entanglement thing.  Electrons have somehow become attached to another and have figured out teleporting an entire object when they switch places :o Just because the objects or people may have never met personally, doesn't mean that their particles didn't in the far distant past when the Earth and everything on it was hydrogen molecules...

Food for thought :o

Jocelyn

« Reply #1855 on: November 18, 2012, 11:32:57 PM »
I was cleaning house today, and found a large coin-like medallion on the floor behind the wing chair. The wing chair was across the room the last time I had any guests in the house.
The medallion says 'The United States Army Airborne School' on one side. On the other is '1st Battalion 507th Parachute Infantry'.
I am not, nor have I ever been, in the US Army, nor has any of my guests.
After I moved the wing chair to that corner of the living room (after the new sofa arrived at the first of October) I have swept under the chair several times, and never seen this coin, which was laying in plain open view.
I did purchase the chair second-hand at a store near an Army post...in 2005. The chair has been moved several times since then. The mind boggles that this coin has been wedged up under the springs for this long, and the cats have just dislodged it somehow. But the mind also boggles at how ELSE the coin might have arrived under the chair!

emwithme

« Reply #1856 on: November 19, 2012, 09:30:11 AM »
In August, BFF and I looked after our "niece" for a week (she is BFF's foster-sister's daughter, but calls me Aunty too).  We took her to the zoo and bought her a meerkat keyring that she was looking forward to putting on her school bag zip so she could identify it.

BFF and I *thought* we had packed the keyring into her case when she went home.  The keyring didn't make it. 

We turned the car upside down.  No sign of the keyring. 

Yesterday, DF and I went for a walk along the beach.  I took my coat, but don't like to wear it when I'm driving as it's a bit bulky.  The coat was in the back of the car and one of the gloves dropped out of the pocket when I picked it up to put it on.  Under the glove, in the middle of the floor of the car, right in plain view, was the meerkat keyring. 

It wasn't there when I put the coat *in* the car.  It wasn't there when BFF sat in the back of the car last week.  It wasn't there on any of the three or four occasions that I've put the seats flat to transport stuff in the boot. 

But now it's there? 

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #1857 on: November 19, 2012, 09:51:39 AM »

Twik, if a bunch of Canadian $20 bills show up in your suitcase, they're mine.  Could you mail them back to me?   ;)

OK, but no guarantee they won't dematerialize along the way. I think they might be like leprechaun's gold.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1858 on: November 19, 2012, 10:00:10 AM »

OK, but no guarantee they won't dematerialize along the way. I think they might be like leprechaun's gold.

I'm sorry! I found them and gave them to our son and family when they traveled to Canada. We don't have a currancy exchange, so I just gave them to him. They were well spent and thoroughly enjoyed. Thank you.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1859 on: November 19, 2012, 10:15:33 AM »

I'm sorry! I found them and gave them to our son and family when they traveled to Canada. We don't have a currancy exchange, so I just gave them to him. They were well spent and thoroughly enjoyed. Thank you.

Well that would explain why I still haven't found the money.   ;)  I'm starting to wonder if it was taken by the person who fed my cats or by the neighbours with the key.  I really hope not because I did trust them implicitly before this and I would be very upset to find they weren't trustworthy.  It wasn't a burglery because nothing else was taken.  I don't have a lot worth taking but the MacBookPro and the LG BlueRay player would have been gone, I'm sure.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario