Author Topic: Your own personal mysteries.  (Read 302576 times)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: Your own personal mysteries.
« Reply #1860 on: November 28, 2012, 03:01:16 PM »
And my medium-sized suitcase has started materializing stuff from several trips ago, that had disappeared despite a complete search of every crevice. It's nice to get it back, yes, but where was it in the meantime?

Twik, if a bunch of Canadian $20 bills show up in your suitcase, they're mine.  Could you mail them back to me?   ;)

OK, but no guarantee they won't dematerialize along the way. I think they might be like leprechaun's gold.

I'm sorry! I found them and gave them to our son and family when they traveled to Canada. We don't have a currancy exchange, so I just gave them to him. They were well spent and thoroughly enjoyed. Thank you.

Well that would explain why I still haven't found the money.   ;)  I'm starting to wonder if it was taken by the person who fed my cats or by the neighbours with the key.  I really hope not because I did trust them implicitly before this and I would be very upset to find they weren't trustworthy.  It wasn't a burglery because nothing else was taken.  I don't have a lot worth taking but the MacBookPro and the LG BlueRay player would have been gone, I'm sure.

Found it!  It was in my wallet.   ::)  Now, that does require some explanation.  I have a badge, in a badge wallet.  I keep $20 in there, as well as my driver's license, so I can throw this thin little wallet in my coat pocket and not bother with my purse when I'm in the field.  I decided I didn't want to risk losing my badge so I put my driver's license somewhere else and left this wallet at home.  And put all the money in it.  I am so relieved.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Shalamar

« Reply #1861 on: December 02, 2012, 08:20:53 PM »
The Venetian blinds in our bedroom have a scorch mark on them.   It looks for all the world like someone laid a curling iron across them.  We questioned our daughters - nope.   (They're very honest kids.).  Questioned the housekeeper - nope.   (Not quite so sure about her.).   Conclusion drawn:  my makeup mirror must have reflected sunlight onto the blinds like a magnifying glass,   We now keep our blinds closed at all times, but man, I really wish we knew for sure.

Reika

« Reply #1862 on: December 02, 2012, 10:43:38 PM »
Ouch Shalamar, hope it doesn't happen any time soon.

It hasn't happened yet, but considering my luck, I'm posting this here and see if it happens. ;)

Since I haven't been able to get a replacement charger for my cheap tablet, I ended up ordering a new tablet from a different maker. I tried Radio Shack and some local electronics places, none had a charger that would work with the tablet. Over three weeks ago I mailed my order, with a check, to the company that made the charger per their instructions. And no, they don't take orders online or through the phone. The check has not been cashed, nor has the envelope been returned to me. And when I called to follow up on my order, there was no luck.

But considering how my luck runs, I'll get the charger for my old tablet the day my new one arrives.

Shalamar

« Reply #1863 on: December 05, 2012, 05:37:16 PM »
I have another one!

I started working at my current job on September 30, 2002.  When Halloween rolled around, I was still pretty new and didn't know too many people.  I was at my desk on October 31 when I heard someone behind me - turning around, I nearly had a heart attack when I beheld a very tall person dressed as the Grim Reaper.  His face was completely covered.  He silently held out a basket of candy, I took one, and he left.

Because I was so new, I assumed that this was something that happened every year - until I heard everyone around me saying in consternation "Who WAS that?"

Never did find out.

crankycat

« Reply #1864 on: December 05, 2012, 05:42:05 PM »
So anyone find my passport?  We are leaving on a cruise right before Christmas and my passport is not in its usual location.   >:(  Fortunately, I have a certified copy of my birth certificate that will work, but still!  Items should NOT move from where they are kept.

magicdomino

« Reply #1865 on: December 06, 2012, 11:44:44 AM »
So anyone find my passport?  We are leaving on a cruise right before Christmas and my passport is not in its usual location.   >:(  Fortunately, I have a certified copy of my birth certificate that will work, but still!  Items should NOT move from where they are kept.

Have you checked your purse?   :)  Seriously, though, my passport disappeared the night before an overseas trip.  I spent all night searching desk, suitcases, purse, even the basement on the off-chance that I was carrying the passport when I went downstairs for something.  Finally, at 5 in the morning, with a 7:00 am flight, I had despaired of finding the passport. I reached in my purse for my car keys, and pulled out -- my passport.  Cue mad scramble.   :)  The thing is, I had completely emptied that purse three times searching.  The only thing that I can figure is that both the purse and the passport are dark blue, and the passport is thin enough that it stuck unnoticed in the pocket. 

Asharah

« Reply #1866 on: December 06, 2012, 12:40:18 PM »
I have another one!

I started working at my current job on September 30, 2002.  When Halloween rolled around, I was still pretty new and didn't know too many people.  I was at my desk on October 31 when I heard someone behind me - turning around, I nearly had a heart attack when I beheld a very tall person dressed as the Grim Reaper.  His face was completely covered.  He silently held out a basket of candy, I took one, and he left.

Because I was so new, I assumed that this was something that happened every year - until I heard everyone around me saying in consternation "Who WAS that?"

Never did find out.
I think I've found your guy Shalamar.  ;D

I wanna know who my yellow eyed man was.

When I was little (maybe 7 or 8?) I was sitting on the curb in front of our house, basically just people watching. I was just plain bored. There was a man in a long brown coat walking up and down the street, looking confused, and he eventually came over to me and crouched down (to my eye level). He had yellow eyes... Not the white part, the iris was kinda a dark yellow color. I've never seen anyone else with that shade of eyes. I remember wondering if I should go inside to my parents, but there were lots of people around, so I didn't. First he asked me where my coat was, and why I wasn't wearing one. I told him I wasn't cold and he nodded. then he asked me where Miss Tammie lived (name changed of course) and I pointed the house out. He smiled and patted me on the head and gave me a sucker, then stood up and walked into Miss Tammie's house, without knocking or unlocking the door. he just opened it. We did NOT live in an area that people kept their doors unlocked either. I went back to watching the street, and didn't bother to eat the sucker.

I don't know how it happened, but somehow the ambulance came to the house, and they brought Miss Tammie out all covered up. (which I later realized must have meant she was dead, but it didn't occur to me at the time.) And that darned man walked out of the house, past the paramedics without anyone acknowledging him, waved at me and walked off down the street. I didn't think much of it, but later asked a bunch of neighbors if they knew who he was. Despite all of them having been gathered to watch Miss Tammie come out of the house (because that was a nosy neighborhood) NO ONE saw the man. And they claimed no one had come over to talk to me, because if they had, they 9the neighbors) would have run him off for talking to a little girl alone.

I still wonder who the heck that was... I ought o add this experience to a book, it was really weird.

At least Death is nice to little girls....

Can I use that quote in a book? That just hit me as a neat statement.

And I totally should've eaten the darn sucker. I have sometimes wondered if that could have been the devil... Miss Tammie was a horrible person, and someone told me she died with a horrified expression on her face. (which brings up the queation of how the heck could Friend have known that? I think she was pulling my leg.)
Asharah

Shalamar

« Reply #1867 on: December 06, 2012, 12:56:34 PM »
Ahh!  I've met the Yellow-Eyed Man!  :)

I think the part that creeped me out the most is that he didn't say anything.  Now that I've worked for this company for ten years, I know that a lot of jokers work here, and it could have been any one of them.  At the time, though, I was completely freaked (and wishing heartily that I hadn't eaten the candy he gave me).

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1868 on: December 06, 2012, 12:59:02 PM »

Have you checked your purse?   :)  Seriously, though, my passport disappeared the night before an overseas trip.  I spent all night searching desk, suitcases, purse, even the basement on the off-chance that I was carrying the passport when I went downstairs for something.  Finally, at 5 in the morning, with a 7:00 am flight, I had despaired of finding the passport. I reached in my purse for my car keys, and pulled out -- my passport.  Cue mad scramble.   :)  The thing is, I had completely emptied that purse three times searching.  The only thing that I can figure is that both the purse and the passport are dark blue, and the passport is thin enough that it stuck unnoticed in the pocket.

I think it is in the side pocket of your small suitcase or the tote you kept your maps and guidebooks in on the last trip.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 07:46:46 PM by Luci45 »

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #1869 on: December 06, 2012, 03:00:10 PM »
The lost passport stories remind me of something strange that happened a few years ago.

I was chatting online to somebody in a game site.  Totally random stranger, had never spoken to them before. 

The person commented that they had to go soon, they had to find their missing medication, it wasn't in the usual place.  I instantly had a mental flash of somebody putting a pack of tablets into the bottom drawer of a desk.  So I replied 'this is going to sound weird, but do you have a desk with drawers?  If so, check the bottom drawer, the tablets are there.' 

Yup, he did, he checked the drawer, and there they were.  It rather weirded us both out.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1870 on: February 06, 2013, 03:21:18 PM »
The wooden clothes hanger ghost.

my husband and I were making the bed last night and had almost finished.  He was putting on the last of his extra blankets, when I noticed that there was a wooden clothes hanger lying on the bed as he placed the blanket.  I told him that there was a hanger under the blanket and he lifted the blanket to look.  There was no hanger.  But I had seen it as clear as day.  I went over and looked myself and there was nothing there.  I looked on the floor, but nothing was there.  I was confused and said I knew there was one there, that I had seen it.  He asked me if it were a wooden one with a slat across the bottom.  I said yes, but wasnít sure about the slat.   He reached into the closet and took a wooden hanger and put it on the bed where I said I saw it.  I told him it was like that one.  He said that that hanger was in that very place on the bed that morning and he had moved it to the closet.  It was strange.  I clearly saw the hanger there on the bed, and it had been there, but some 12 hours earlier.  Funny thing is that he immediately related my seeing it there to it being there earlier in the day. 
I have heard a theory that everything is happening at once in different layers of dimensions.  I wonder if that is what happened.  I saw through to another dimension.  Maybe a parallel universe.
It was an amazing experience.  I loved it!
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #1871 on: February 06, 2013, 03:29:44 PM »
Why, last Sunday, when I was trying to finish up some very deadlineish work, did my password not work on my computer? And why, the next day and ever since, has it worked?
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #1872 on: February 06, 2013, 03:51:54 PM »

my husband and I were making the bed last night and had almost finished.  He was putting on the last of his extra blankets, when I noticed that there was a wooden clothes hanger lying on the bed as he placed the blanket.  I told him that there was a hanger under the blanket and he lifted the blanket to look.  There was no hanger.  But I had seen it as clear as day.  I went over and looked myself and there was nothing there.  I looked on the floor, but nothing was there.  I was confused and said I knew there was one there, that I had seen it.  He asked me if it were a wooden one with a slat across the bottom.  I said yes, but wasnít sure about the slat.   He reached into the closet and took a wooden hanger and put it on the bed where I said I saw it.  I told him it was like that one.  He said that that hanger was in that very place on the bed that morning and he had moved it to the closet.  It was strange.  I clearly saw the hanger there on the bed, and it had been there, but some 12 hours earlier.  Funny thing is that he immediately related my seeing it there to it being there earlier in the day. 
I have heard a theory that everything is happening at once in different layers of dimensions.  I wonder if that is what happened.  I saw through to another dimension.  Maybe a parallel universe.

I've done that before!  I thought I was just losing it or something but now I wonder...

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1873 on: February 06, 2013, 08:22:59 PM »

I've done that before!  I thought I was just losing it or something but now I wonder...
Neither of us is losing it.  We're just special.  8)   I'm glad I'm not alone!
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #1874 on: February 06, 2013, 08:50:38 PM »
I don't know if I have posted this one before, as it has been bothering me for a while, but...

What the heck kind of time portal is in the neighbourhood next to me??

I have a plaza with Grocery Store A about six blocks from me one way. Store B is six blocks the other way. It is open 24 hrs, so I go there quite often when Store A is closed. Google maps says it is 30 minutes walk to Store A, and 18 minutes walk to Store B from my house. It takes me about 20 or 30 minutes to walk to Store A, and about 1 and 1/2 hrs to walk to Store B!

I briefly thought about videotaping the walk, and then nixed that idea - there is a graveyard along one street and it is weird as heck at night. I don't want to videotape that. It would be nice to know why this happens, though.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.