Author Topic: Your own personal mysteries.  (Read 315332 times)

tiff019

Re: Your own personal mysteries.
« Reply #1875 on: February 07, 2013, 12:59:27 PM »
I don't know if I have posted this one before, as it has been bothering me for a while, but...

What the heck kind of time portal is in the neighbourhood next to me??

I have a plaza with Grocery Store A about six blocks from me one way. Store B is six blocks the other way. It is open 24 hrs, so I go there quite often when Store A is closed. Google maps says it is 30 minutes walk to Store A, and 18 minutes walk to Store B from my house. It takes me about 20 or 30 minutes to walk to Store A, and about 1 and 1/2 hrs to walk to Store B!

I briefly thought about videotaping the walk, and then nixed that idea - there is a graveyard along one street and it is weird as heck at night. I don't want to videotape that. It would be nice to know why this happens, though.

Are the blocks different lengths or do you have to cross more streets to get to Store B? perhaps there are more lights that delay crossing? I don't know that that would explain an hour's difference in the walk, but it could account for some of the difference.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #1876 on: February 07, 2013, 03:54:20 PM »
I don't know if I have posted this one before, as it has been bothering me for a while, but...

I have a plaza with Grocery Store A about six blocks from me one way. Store B is six blocks the other way. It is open 24 hrs, so I go there quite often when Store A is closed. Google maps says it is 30 minutes walk to Store A, and 18 minutes walk to Store B from my house. It takes me about 20 or 30 minutes to walk to Store A, and about 1 and 1/2 hrs to walk to Store B!

I briefly thought about videotaping the walk, and then nixed that idea - there is a graveyard along one street and it is weird as heck at night. I don't want to videotape that. It would be nice to know why this happens, though.

Are the blocks different lengths or do you have to cross more streets to get to Store B? perhaps there are more lights that delay crossing? I don't know that that would explain an hour's difference in the walk, but it could account for some of the difference.

There are actually more lights and traffic going to Store A. Most of the streets along the route to Store B are very quiet, and almost deserted at night.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Kaora

• I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band
« Reply #1877 on: February 07, 2013, 04:38:46 PM »

There are actually more lights and traffic going to Store A. Most of the streets along the route to Store B are very quiet, and almost deserted at night.

Videotape it during the daytime, curious people wanna see? ;D :P

New story, this one actually happened a few months back and I feel like posting it now.

BG: Sometime, late last year, my BF went on a trip across country.  I live in California, he was visiting family in Ohio.  We're both on spectrum (he's an Aspie, I'm PDD-NOS.)  We both get on tangents and sometimes we annoy each other with them.  This also leads to all kinds of fun with us missing social cues.

We were talking over the computer and he got it in his head he wanted to convince me of something.  I kept trying to change the subject, and after a while, kind of got frustrated and blew up at him, instead of just taking a break outside.  Whoops. :-[

I went on a couple minute tirade, and after it, he reported his phone was missing.  He told me in chat that his phone just vibrated and vanished out of his pocket.

Both of us kind of panicky, he needed the phone incase anything happened on the flight home, we both start looking.  He looked through his aunt's couch twice, around the room, under the couch, etc.  No where it'd logically be.  It was a WinPhone at the time, so I suggested using Microsoft's phone location service.  It came up with nothing, and eventually we reached a limit for trying to contact it in a few short hours.  As far as we could tell, it went to Narnia, or, more nerdy, Dominaria.

I did PM a kind person who said they would try to help us get it back.  Thank you to you, if you're reading.   BF checked the couch against, for the fifth time, the next day and it was under a cushion.  Where he checked four times before.

Now, talking to him, BF isn't mad at me that I A) made his phone vanish, and B) blew up at him.  Apparently, he thinks its much cooler that I showed him supernatural powers exist.  Go figure.  ::) :P

The mystery in all this?  Where did the phone go.  As far as we can tell, it was either:

1) Not in a place with a cell tower, I.E. the Bermuda Triangle, Hy-Brasil or Thule
2) Not on Earth :P
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 04:44:48 PM by Kaora »

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #1878 on: February 07, 2013, 05:18:17 PM »

New story, this one actually happened a few months back and I feel like posting it now.

BG: Sometime, late last year, my BF went on a trip across country.  I live in California, he was visiting family in Ohio.  We're both on spectrum (he's an Aspie, I'm PDD-NOS.)  We both get on tangents and sometimes we annoy each other with them.  This also leads to all kinds of fun with us missing social cues.

We were talking over the computer and he got it in his head he wanted to convince me of something.  I kept trying to change the subject, and after a while, kind of got frustrated and blew up at him, instead of just taking a break outside.  Whoops. :-[

I went on a couple minute tirade, and after it, he reported his phone was missing.  He told me in chat that his phone just vibrated and vanished out of his pocket.

Both of us kind of panicky, he needed the phone incase anything happened on the flight home, we both start looking.  He looked through his aunt's couch twice, around the room, under the couch, etc.  No where it'd logically be.  It was a WinPhone at the time, so I suggested using Microsoft's phone location service.  It came up with nothing, and eventually we reached a limit for trying to contact it in a few short hours.  As far as we could tell, it went to Narnia, or, more nerdy, Dominaria.

I did PM a kind person who said they would try to help us get it back.  Thank you to you, if you're reading.   BF checked the couch against, for the fifth time, the next day and it was under a cushion.  Where he checked four times before.

Now, talking to him, BF isn't mad at me that I A) made his phone vanish, and B) blew up at him.  Apparently, he thinks its much cooler that I showed him supernatural powers exist.  Go figure.  ::) :P

The mystery in all this?  Where did the phone go.  As far as we can tell, it was either:

1) Not in a place with a cell tower, I.E. the Bermuda Triangle, Hy-Brasil or Thule

Theory #3 - the couch got a long (private) phone call from a relative, ducked into another dimension to take the call, and came back. Solution? Don't give out your number to your furniture. ;D

Seriously - that's very odd! But if you could make someone's ringing phone vanish in a theatre, you'd be quite popular!
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

snappylt

« Reply #1879 on: February 07, 2013, 06:42:08 PM »
OK, this one is from my young adult son, but here goes:

A few weeks ago my son "Ron" mentioned that he had an odd cell phone experience.  He had a "missed call" from a particular local phone number he didn't recognize, and there was a voice message left at that time (from a voice he didn't recognize) saying  "Ron, give me a call back when you can" without leaving a callback number.

Well, my son told me that when he called the "missed call" number back it turned out to be the cell phone of a man who answered the phone as "Detective _____".  The supposed detective said he had never called Ron and had not left a message for him.  When Ron asked him, he identified himself as being a county detective with our county's district attorney.  Ron explained to the man about the voice mail and the missed call number and they both ended up laughing it off.

I think it is very strange.  Ron told me he's not involved in anything the county would be investigating... and besides, if they were investigating someone they wouldn't leave a weird message like that, would they?  Ron mentioned that he thinks he may have gone to high school with a boy who may be the detective's son. (It was an unusual family name.)  But Ron says he never had any interactions with that boy, so he couldn't imagine that kid using his dad's  phone for a prank call to Ron.

No big deal - I guess it's just an unsolved mystery - unless readers her can offer possible solutions.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #1880 on: February 07, 2013, 07:19:05 PM »

You're welcome   ;)  I'm just glad it's happened to someone else besides me.

For those of you interested, sub a PO'd me, my ex's wallet or keys for the phone in this story and later find them in the freezer/sofa/shoe, in a house we hadn't been to that day.

Bizarre
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Kaora

« Reply #1881 on: February 07, 2013, 09:53:52 PM »

A few weeks ago my son "Ron" mentioned that he had an odd cell phone experience.  He had a "missed call" from a particular local phone number he didn't recognize, and there was a voice message left at that time (from a voice he didn't recognize) saying  "Ron, give me a call back when you can" without leaving a callback number.

Well, my son told me that when he called the "missed call" number back it turned out to be the cell phone of a man who answered the phone as "Detective _____".  The supposed detective said he had never called Ron and had not left a message for him.  When Ron asked him, he identified himself as being a county detective with our county's district attorney.  Ron explained to the man about the voice mail and the missed call number and they both ended up laughing it off.

I think it is very strange.  Ron told me he's not involved in anything the county would be investigating... and besides, if they were investigating someone they wouldn't leave a weird message like that, would they?  Ron mentioned that he thinks he may have gone to high school with a boy who may be the detective's son. (It was an unusual family name.)  But Ron says he never had any interactions with that boy, so he couldn't imagine that kid using his dad's  phone for a prank call to Ron.

No big deal - I guess it's just an unsolved mystery - unless readers her can offer possible solutions.

Maybe someone was looking for a Ron and got the wrong name?  It'd be the only way I could make sense of it.  Could have been a prank, too, with someone spoofing a number.  It's possible. :)

*snip*

Theory #3 - the couch got a long (private) phone call from a relative, ducked into another dimension to take the call, and came back. Solution? Don't give out your number to your furniture. ;D

Seriously - that's very odd! But if you could make someone's ringing phone vanish in a theatre, you'd be quite popular!

*snerk* It'd only happen if the person was truly annoying, unfortunately. ;) It just happens with strong emotions.  (From past experience, I've killed a CD player go dead because I got too sad around it.  It revived itself in a week. :o)

And yeah, thanks again Dazi. ;D It's not an ex-phone  because I killed it on its trip to Elsewhere, but because he dropped and cracked the screen earlier in the trip.  He now has an Android phone. :) Hope they have the same find a phone service...

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #1882 on: February 08, 2013, 01:10:25 AM »
And yeah, thanks again Dazi. ;D It's not an ex-phone  because I killed it on its trip to Elsewhere, but because he dropped and cracked the screen earlier in the trip.  He now has an Android phone. :) Hope they have the same find a phone service...

Lookout Mobile Security app - antivirus, safe browsing, backups, locator, alarm noise (triggered via the website), extinction burst (when the battery is about to die, it emails you the last known location), and now, if someone enters the wrong passcode to unlock your phone 3 times, it takes a pic of them (assuming you have a front-facing camera on the phone) and sends it to you. :-)
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Kaora

« Reply #1883 on: February 08, 2013, 02:33:59 AM »

Lookout Mobile Security app - antivirus, safe browsing, backups, locator, alarm noise (triggered via the website), extinction burst (when the battery is about to die, it emails you the last known location), and now, if someone enters the wrong passcode to unlock your phone 3 times, it takes a pic of them (assuming you have a front-facing camera on the phone) and sends it to you. :-)

Ooh, nice!  Thanks! :) Downloading for my tablet now! :)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1884 on: February 08, 2013, 10:04:40 AM »
Some years ago, we were going to fly west for a family gathering.  As I always did, I left my office ID and keys at home.  After all, I didn't want to lose them.  I'm almost certain I left them on the dining room table. 

When we got home, they were nowhere to be found.  We turned the house upside down several times but they remain missing to this day.

Maybe we had a visit from Bob the Ghost. 

m2kbug

« Reply #1885 on: February 08, 2013, 01:32:17 PM »

It could be the numbers were very similar.  I had an uncle who's number was exactly one digit off from my sister's cell phone number.  When I called and got a male voice, I thought at first it was sister's husband, though it didn't sound like him.  It turned out to be uncle's number.  This was also during a very tumultuous family experiences, so this also raised questions of the conspiracy variety. 

m2kbug

« Reply #1886 on: February 08, 2013, 01:36:15 PM »
I have lost, I kid you not, FOUR garage door openers.  I took it off the visor and from there it disappeared.  I don't usually carry a purse, so there's little chance it made its way indoors.  I grabbed the second one.  Dissappeared.  I replaced them.  Again, the clicker was removed from the visor (lesson not learned), and it got lost.  I didn't have time to search, so grabbed the spare.  That got lost.  I went to clean out the car and find them.  I checked under the seats and in crevices...gone...four of them, FOUR!

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #1887 on: February 08, 2013, 05:48:12 PM »
I have lost, I kid you not, FOUR garage door openers.  I took it off the visor and from there it disappeared.  I don't usually carry a purse, so there's little chance it made its way indoors.  I grabbed the second one.  Dissappeared.  I replaced them.  Again, the clicker was removed from the visor (lesson not learned), and it got lost.  I didn't have time to search, so grabbed the spare.  That got lost.  I went to clean out the car and find them.  I checked under the seats and in crevices...gone...four of them, FOUR!

Mom lost her bite plate when it fell out of their car in a parking lot (she found that out because they stopped at the same hamburger place on their way home & found it - it was repairable).  I wonder if the garage door openers got kicked out of the car or took a dive out the door to explore the world?
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

m2kbug

« Reply #1888 on: February 09, 2013, 08:27:46 AM »

Mom lost her bite plate when it fell out of their car in a parking lot (she found that out because they stopped at the same hamburger place on their way home & found it - it was repairable).  I wonder if the garage door openers got kicked out of the car or took a dive out the door to explore the world?

The only thing I can think of is the clicker got removed when doing a quick clean and stuffing everything into a box or bucket to get to later, but when cleaning out the box, the clicker never turned up.  It's a reasonable explanation for one, but FOUR?  As far as I know, the clicker never left the car, it just evaporated.  All four of them evaporated.  I am usually very aware of things falling out, what with kids, a messy car, and losing things you put on top, you sort of learn to pay attention to these things ;).  Sure, it's possible they got lost in a parking lot somewhere, but I really don't think so.  I remember it being on the passenger seat, and you hit the brakes a little hard and things slide off to the floor.  Upon retreiving the items from the floor, the clicker is gone.  Four times.  Evaporated.   :o

cutejellybeen

« Reply #1889 on: February 09, 2013, 07:46:44 PM »
a few weeks ago I got a text message from someone on the other side of the country asking why I'd called them. Having no idea what they were talking about I asked who they were. Turn out neither of us know the other, and they had a call from my line, that didnt show up on my iphone as an outgoing call.

Just strange. Nothing odd on my bill either.