Author Topic: Your own personal mysteries.  (Read 291294 times)

mmswm

Re: Your own personal mysteries.
« Reply #1890 on: February 09, 2013, 07:50:29 PM »
a few weeks ago I got a text message from someone on the other side of the country asking why I'd called them. Having no idea what they were talking about I asked who they were. Turn out neither of us know the other, and they had a call from my line, that didnt show up on my iphone as an outgoing call.

Just strange. Nothing odd on my bill either.

There are a number of apps for smart phones that will "spoof" a different number for the caller ID of the phone on the receiving end. The person that texted you was probably a victim of one of those apps.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

cutejellybeen

« Reply #1891 on: February 09, 2013, 08:26:07 PM »
a few weeks ago I got a text message from someone on the other side of the country asking why I'd called them. Having no idea what they were talking about I asked who they were. Turn out neither of us know the other, and they had a call from my line, that didnt show up on my iphone as an outgoing call.

There are a number of apps for smart phones that will "spoof" a different number for the caller ID of the phone on the receiving end. The person that texted you was probably a victim of one of those apps.

Oh really?? Well that could be it! Though, it seems odd that that would be something in demand!

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #1892 on: February 10, 2013, 10:47:30 AM »
I have lost, I kid you not, FOUR garage door openers.  I took it off the visor and from there it disappeared.  I don't usually carry a purse, so there's little chance it made its way indoors.  I grabbed the second one.  Dissappeared.  I replaced them.  Again, the clicker was removed from the visor (lesson not learned), and it got lost.  I didn't have time to search, so grabbed the spare.  That got lost.  I went to clean out the car and find them.  I checked under the seats and in crevices...gone...four of them, FOUR!

Mom lost her bite plate when it fell out of their car in a parking lot (she found that out because they stopped at the same hamburger place on their way home & found it - it was repairable).  I wonder if the garage door openers got kicked out of the car or took a dive out the door to explore the world?

The only thing I can think of is the clicker got removed when doing a quick clean and stuffing everything into a box or bucket to get to later, but when cleaning out the box, the clicker never turned up.  It's a reasonable explanation for one, but FOUR?  As far as I know, the clicker never left the car, it just evaporated.  All four of them evaporated.  I am usually very aware of things falling out, what with kids, a messy car, and losing things you put on top, you sort of learn to pay attention to these things ;).  Sure, it's possible they got lost in a parking lot somewhere, but I really don't think so.  I remember it being on the passenger seat, and you hit the brakes a little hard and things slide off to the floor.  Upon retreiving the items from the floor, the clicker is gone.  Four times.  Evaporated.   :o

At the moment, VorGuy has TWO similar cell phone cases for his belt/waistband.  Only one of them can be found at any time.  The clips on the back are different - so I know which one he is using (one is from eBay, the other is from Big Lots).  I have a third, also from Big Lots.  I suppose I should say that we can find only two out of three - because we both have one.  He just can't figure out what happened to the third one, until it shows up on the dresser and one of the other two is now missing......which one?

And we have found the clicker for our garage door opener....which quit working (garage door opener - not the clicker). 

Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Tea Drinker

« Reply #1893 on: February 10, 2013, 11:33:11 AM »

Oh really?? Well that could be it! Though, it seems odd that that would be something in demand!

It's in demand for various less-than-savory purposes, like scammers who don't want their calls to be traceable (or who want to look as though they are calling from a number they know belongs to a particular business or agency), and people who want to ignore do-not-contact requests. The people who once would have reacted to "stop calling me" by using a pay phone, asking a friend if they could borrow their phone, or calling from work are a market for this sort of app.
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

Kaora

• I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band
« Reply #1894 on: June 25, 2013, 07:47:42 PM »
Something tiny.  This is semi-personal, just more odd.

There used to be a TV Station called Colours TV that broadcasted in the US.  I think it was local, then it grew bigger and at least Dish satellite carriers had carried it on the lower depths of their menus.

It was marginally successful in the national market, hosting gaming competition shows, local variety (something similar to Wait Wait Don't Tell Me), and Funimation licensed anime to them at one point, having watched Fruits Basket, Tenchi Muyo GPX, and Spiral off of it.

It all seemed fine, until, one day, at the in the middle of July in 2011, the signal was replaced by a card that read something about how Colours TV was no longer being carried by any national carrier or satellite provider.  It was later amended to say Dish Network at the end, but...

To be honest, it was all sorts of strange.  Their online domain was around for another month or two, and their Facebook and Twitter still remain, but with no updates since then.  I'm wondering what happened to them.  It's kind of small, and, mostly, I'm interested in film and TV history, so this has me curious, but...

cwm

« Reply #1895 on: June 26, 2013, 06:50:40 PM »
Where the HECK did my keys go?

No, seriously. Two years ago, the first apartment I shared with sis (before Sproglet came along), it was just the two of us. I came home from work to an empty apartment, unlocked the deadbolt, locked the door behind me, and tossed my keys into my room. This was normal, I usually tossed them onto my bed. Sis comes home, again, nothing weird. Except when I get ready to leave again, I can't find my keys. At all. They're gone. Pull the bed away from the wall, pull all the blankets and sheets off, check inside the pillowcase, look behind the bedside table, NOTHING. I've never had a bed frame, just a box spring and mattress on the floor, and we pulled them all out looking.

Okay, fine, I'll make alternate plans for now and get the backup key from my parents for my car, copy sis's apartment key, and get a new copy of the key to parents' house. That's great. Except that keychain had a nice caribiner, an EXCELLENT flashlight, and a pill case on it. I used all of them frequently.

Months pass, it's time to move, and I'm the only person allowed to pack things in my bedroom. We had friends and family come over because it was during sis's pregnancy and she couldn't do heavy lifting, but I've had bad experiences with people packing my things. Still no keys, but I do manage to find sis's engagement and wedding band (from her ex husband) on the floor in my closet, buried underneath a mountain of other things. Sweet monkey fritters!?

Also, if anyone finds a box with several complete Ren Faire costumes, please let me know. I've had four bodices, a corset, several dresses, shirts, skirts, and pants go missing, as well as at least two pairs of boots. This is thousands of dollars spent over half a lifetime, and I haven't seen it in nearly four years now. Just up and gone.

Where did those maps come from, and where did they go? (I may have posted this to the ghost story thread, I'm not sure.)

When I was a little girl, my dad built a bunk bed for sis and me. It was solidly enclosed on two sides on the bottom, except for the built in drawers. The other two sides went to the wall. I stored a few things under there, mostly to keep them away from siblings and parents. One day I reached down to find a book I'd been reading. (It was a book I wasn't supposed to read, hence it being hidden.) I couldn't find the book, but I pulled out two maps. They looked like they had come from National Geographic or something, and they were yellowed and very used along the edges. They looked like they were from the 50s. I can't remember what they were maps of, but possibly North America and Europe? I think there were two or three pages of them, but they were about four times larger than a magazine, so they could have come folded up in one. There was a page of notes with them, it looked like a personal letter, but it was hard for me to read. I showed my sister, but didn't want my parents to think that I'd been stealing papers or stuff from them. (At the time they had a large amount of magazines and maps, but no NatGeo or anything like this.) I put it back behind the bed, not thinking twice about it.

I could never find those maps again. I crawled up under the bed after pulling out a drawer looking for them. Gone. When we pulled the bed apart when we grew out of it, they weren't under there. My sister doesn't remember ever having seen them at all. I'm the only person who remembers these maps, and I really wish I knew where they came from and where they went.

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #1896 on: June 26, 2013, 07:46:44 PM »
Why do I keep getting these calls?

I keep getting mystery calls on my cellphone, usually during the day when I am at work (and therefore not answering my phone).  Never any voicemail.

The really weird part though?  The numbers that  call me are local (going by the area codes) and they ALWAYS have something in common with the number I either have or used to have...usually it's the prefix after the area code of my current number (in my case 709) or the last four digits are the same as my old number (3536) which was a "family" contract that was in my ex's name but has run its course by several years now.

I got rid of the 3536 number when my ex and I split...we thought we could just ride out the contract but because it was in his name (which we set up pretty much on a whim because I was tired of the bills always coming with my name on) the bills always went to him at his address.  This was before the days of online billing.  When he couldn't be bothered texting me with the amount I owed every month as we'd agreed, I attempted to contact the phone company for the information, but my ex hadn't bothered to add me as an authorised user on the account so they couldn't tell me anything. (not their fault, of course) So I texted my ex and told him that if he didn't add me as an authorised user on the account by the end of the week (giving him three days to make a five-minute phone call) I was going to ditch my phone and get a new one on a new account under my own name and with a different number.  He never replied, the call never got made, and I threw my old phone straight in the garbage and got a new one.  However now that 3536 combination is coming back to haunt me now.

Too weird.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #1897 on: June 26, 2013, 08:21:31 PM »
I had a weird one a few days ago.  I got a call asking for for a guy named xxxx.  When I told the other party they had the wrong number, they asked me if I knew a Mr. xxxx xxxx. 

Why, yes I did, a very, very long time ago.  The guy they were looking for died about fifteen years ago, on the other side of the country.  I have no idea how they came to be calling me, since I only knew this guy when I was a child and it would be a very long and diluted trail to connect me to him.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1898 on: June 26, 2013, 08:46:49 PM »
I had a weird one a few days ago.  I got a call asking for for a guy named xxxx.  When I told the other party they had the wrong number, they asked me if I knew a Mr. xxxx xxxx. 

Why, yes I did, a very, very long time ago.  The guy they were looking for died about fifteen years ago, on the other side of the country.  I have no idea how they came to be calling me, since I only knew this guy when I was a child and it would be a very long and diluted trail to connect me to him.

Did you tell them that you knew Mr. xxxx xxxx?  Or did you ask "Why do you want to know?"  Because I'd have been incredibly curious!

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #1899 on: June 26, 2013, 08:55:48 PM »

Did you tell them that you knew Mr. xxxx xxxx?  Or did you ask "Why do you want to know?"  Because I'd have been incredibly curious!

I took the complete cowards way out and didn't tell them I did actually know him.  I recently got a new cell phone and received a few calls looking for other people, so I thought nothing of it until they said his last name.  Besides, I hate telling people that the person they are looking for is dead.  Generally, they get hateful because they think you are trying to screw with them, then they get hysterical when they realise you are serious.  There is just no winning.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Kaora

• I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band
« Reply #1900 on: June 27, 2013, 03:16:42 PM »
Why do I keep getting these calls?

I keep getting mystery calls on my cellphone, usually during the day when I am at work (and therefore not answering my phone).  Never any voicemail.

The really weird part though?  The numbers that  call me are local (going by the area codes) and they ALWAYS have something in common with the number I either have or used to have...usually it's the prefix after the area code of my current number (in my case 709) or the last four digits are the same as my old number (3536) which was a "family" contract that was in my ex's name but has run its course by several years now.

I got rid of the 3536 number when my ex and I split...we thought we could just ride out the contract but because it was in his name (which we set up pretty much on a whim because I was tired of the bills always coming with my name on) the bills always went to him at his address.  This was before the days of online billing.  When he couldn't be bothered texting me with the amount I owed every month as we'd agreed, I attempted to contact the phone company for the information, but my ex hadn't bothered to add me as an authorised user on the account so they couldn't tell me anything. (not their fault, of course) So I texted my ex and told him that if he didn't add me as an authorised user on the account by the end of the week (giving him three days to make a five-minute phone call) I was going to ditch my phone and get a new one on a new account under my own name and with a different number.  He never replied, the call never got made, and I threw my old phone straight in the garbage and got a new one.  However now that 3536 combination is coming back to haunt me now.

Too weird.

Maybe your ex will be part of a major life event soon?  Or maybe its a huge coincidence, and you're getting bounced off by a scammer (I forget what the actual scam is called, I just know that since cellphones = shortwave bands, people have managed to bounce calls off of cellphones and use their minutes).

I once got a shortwave broadcast as a voice mail on my long gone cellphone! :o Glitch in nature, of course. ;D

heyyoume

« Reply #1901 on: June 27, 2013, 04:03:50 PM »
I have a personal mystery involving phones I never figured out.  I was house sitting for a professor in college (feeding the cat) and often didn't get there til quite late at night after I had finished classes for the day.  It was about ten pm when I got there one night so I fed the cat, and headed straight for bed, pausing only to check my messages as I hadn't been in my dorm all day.  When I got into my college  voicemail someone had left me a message (at about 2pm that afternoon when I was in class) that included a portion of the answering machine message at the house where I was staying - starting about halfway through the answering machine message and with the words "I can't come to the phone".   It felt like something out of a bad horror movie - an oblique threat - so I rang a friend on campus to see if I should be worried (I didn't want to overreact) and in the middle of our conversation the call disconnected.  I called her back and told her off for scaring me but she said hadn't hung up... at that point I did overreact totally freaking out and hot footed it back to campus. 

It was strange though because no-one had the number for the house, and although I was checking voicemail daily I couldn't understand how my checking voicemail might have linked the two systems.  If anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them -  much nicer to believe it was a technical malfunction and not something malicious.

cwm

« Reply #1902 on: June 27, 2013, 04:07:51 PM »

I got a new phone when I came back from college. I kept getting calls asking for Mr. XXXX. I'd never heard of this guy, and had literally JUST got the phone number. I knew I recognized his name, though, but not how.

As it turns out, he's a bigwig in the area for various media outlets, owning several of them, and was an alumnus of my college. I worked at the alumni center calling various alumni and asking them to donate money to the college. I'd called this guy several times in college.

I sent him an email asking him why I was getting calls for him at this number, and he said he hadn't had that number in at least five years, and he didn't recognize any of the names of people that I'd listed as having left messages for him, but as soon as I emailed him the calls stopped.

AuntieA

• Anything but your basic traditional auntie
« Reply #1903 on: June 27, 2013, 08:48:44 PM »
My mysteries are fairly small, but troubling nonetheless. My prescription medications are sometimes pilfered from my dosettes. I pour a week's worth of meds each Saturday (I take a lot of vitamins & supplements), one dosette stays downstairs for taking with meals, the other is in the bathroom upstairs for morning & bedtime pills. A couple of times I have returned from an overnight visit with BF to find that all of one specific medication is missing from a dosette, from every slot that medication goes in. The same medication every time, and while it is a mood-altering medication, it isn't a narcotic or one that can be used to get high.

I find this quite unsettling, especially as I had the locks re-keyed the day I took possession of this condo. I plan to have the deadbolt re-keyed to a different key (both are opened with the same key now), and I now lock up my dosettes when I will be away overnight.

And did anyone lose an old-fashioned brass skeleton key, medium sized? I found it on the floor behind a drawer unit when I was cleaning in April.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Pen^2

« Reply #1904 on: June 27, 2013, 10:59:45 PM »
My mysteries are fairly small, but troubling nonetheless. My prescription medications are sometimes pilfered from my dosettes. I pour a week's worth of meds each Saturday (I take a lot of vitamins & supplements), one dosette stays downstairs for taking with meals, the other is in the bathroom upstairs for morning & bedtime pills. A couple of times I have returned from an overnight visit with BF to find that all of one specific medication is missing from a dosette, from every slot that medication goes in. The same medication every time, and while it is a mood-altering medication, it isn't a narcotic or one that can be used to get high.

I find this quite unsettling, especially as I had the locks re-keyed the day I took possession of this condo. I plan to have the deadbolt re-keyed to a different key (both are opened with the same key now), and I now lock up my dosettes when I will be away overnight.

And did anyone lose an old-fashioned brass skeleton key, medium sized? I found it on the floor behind a drawer unit when I was cleaning in April.

That is troubling. Maybe try keeping the meds in your purse for a week, and put fake ones (tic-tacs) in their place? The person with lovely minty breath will be the culprit. Elementary.