Author Topic: Your own personal mysteries.  (Read 312696 times)

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
Re: Your own personal mysteries.
« Reply #1935 on: July 05, 2013, 02:38:21 PM »
What happened to all my webpages?  I log on today and all of them have teeny-tiny print.  I know how to resize them, so it isn't a big problem, but what made them do that?
Sometimes the browser gets reset to small print for no reason. Did your browser crash or not shut down properly last time you used it? Was there an update that could have reset your settings?
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1936 on: July 05, 2013, 02:54:50 PM »
What happened to all my webpages?  I log on today and all of them have teeny-tiny print.  I know how to resize them, so it isn't a big problem, but what made them do that?
Sometimes the browser gets reset to small print for no reason. Did your browser crash or not shut down properly last time you used it? Was there an update that could have reset your settings?
No crash, ordinary shutdown, only update was the automatic McAfee one. 

The perversity of the inanimate, I guess.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Dawse

« Reply #1937 on: July 06, 2013, 05:32:54 AM »
Okay, here's a fresh new one for you all - how did my boyfriend's old phone resurrect itself?

This morning, I'm sitting on the sofa reading through this thread when I hear a phone alarm going off. Our house is fairly small so I just assumed Nick had forgotten to switch the alarm off (it's Saturday after all) but it kept going. 'Well, that's annoying' I think to myself, as I haul myself off the sofa and prepare to go and shout at him to turn the alarm off. Only... as I get halfway up the stairs, I realise I've left the sound behind. I come back down, puzzled.

It's definitely not my phone, lying quietly on the sofa where I left it. I start hunting. The noise is loudest by the bottom of the stairs - okay, maybe Nick just dropped his phone on his way to bed last night and didn't realise. I sigh to myself, thinking I'll have to move the shoe rack, as I can't see a phone from the angle I'm kneeling at, but then as I move Nick's work bag... it vibrates. The alarm is coming from it. This is getting weird, why would Nick put his mobile in his work bag?

I start digging through the bag. Lots of papers, an empty lunchbox, a Nintendo DS I'd forgotten we owned (which is also not making a sound). And then I find, camouflaged with the black lining of the bag... an old mobile. Judging by the rest of this thread we are two of the few people that actually manage to keep hold of our old mobiles ( ;D). When Nick upgraded his phone the most recent time, he kept the old handset 'just in case' (of what I don't know, it was pretty banged up) and pretty much forgot about it. Only now, it's sat in my hand, chirping annoyingly and vibrating.

Now bear in mind Nick hasn't used this phone since at least March. It's now July. When I go upstairs, mystified, phone in hand (still chirping) Nick is just as baffled as I am. According to him, he let the battery on the handset die before he put it in his bag.

So I pose the question to you - how can a phone, that is by all accounts dead, turn itself on and then set its own alarm off??

There is probably a fairly reasonable, rational explanation for this one. Only after reading this thread and most of the ghost story thread, I'm just a teeny tiny bit creeped out. Anyone missing a gremlin?
'I reject your reality and substitute my own!'

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #1938 on: July 06, 2013, 04:51:24 PM »
Rats. I have a shoebox (now a bootbox) filled with electronic stuff I don't know what is - after I had too much for the junk drawer. It's not there - sorry. I do have enough USB and phone cords to start and electronics store, though.

Me, too, but there have been times some of those USB and phone cables have come in very handy. 

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #1939 on: July 06, 2013, 11:47:51 PM »
Rats. I have a shoebox (now a bootbox) filled with electronic stuff I don't know what is - after I had too much for the junk drawer. It's not there - sorry. I do have enough USB and phone cords to start and electronics store, though.

Me, too, but there have been times some of those USB and phone cables have come in very handy.

Only a boot box? I have a 32-gallon plastic bin, full of cords, cables, a spare mouse, adapters, installation CDs, and other old bits and pieces.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #1940 on: July 07, 2013, 03:29:17 AM »

Have you got cats?  My computer has done all kinds of weird things thanks to kitty-on-keyboard.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #1941 on: July 14, 2013, 10:34:30 AM »
 A few years ago ( at least 5 years, maybe as long as 7) I had my huge CD case disappear.  It is one that holds about 200 or so.   

My DH and I turned our place upside down looking for it.  For awhile I seriously considered that my brother took it, but there was no evidence that he did or even had the opportunity.  Thought maybe one of the workers we had in here could have, but once again, no actually evidence. 

This morning, I asked DH if he would purchase a couple of songs for me and place them in my music folder so I could transfer them to my phone's play list.  That's when he tells me that he didn't need to as last night he found my missing case.  He went into the garage to get something and it was just sitting upright, plain as day on the counter, covered in dust.  It should be noted that there was no dust on the counter and no prints on the case.

As far as I can tell nothing is missing and is in fact in the same placement as I had them.  So freaking weird.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Carotte

« Reply #1942 on: July 14, 2013, 12:42:56 PM »
I had been looking for my box of watercolor paint for a good month now. First I thought that I had left it at my parents house before moving out, went there once and couldn't find it. I looked everywhere at my new home, that was quick, it's pretty small and I don't have a lot of things, most are my SO stuff and there was no reason it would have been in his stuff.
Since good watercolor is not cheap and I'm unemployed I was holding up until I went to my parents to look again - and then I would look around for a good promotion or sale price.
Turns out I found a box that was 50% off, and a coupon for 20% off the sale price for an online store. I ordered it and kicked myself at the same time knowing one day the old box would turn up.
Well, it did, two days after  >:(.
It was in a box I brought back from moving out of my parents, but one I was pretty sure there was only one thing it in, and no where close to being my watercolor box.

I'm not sure I'll tell anyone.  :-[. The new box won't be lost, I'm telling myself I'll never again find a 45 color box for this cheap (reg price on the website was 70, got it for 28 + shipping and some half price watercolor paper too) but still, grrrr.

2littlemonkeys

« Reply #1943 on: July 15, 2013, 09:56:17 AM »
Where did our blasted life jackets go?

My kids sometimes like to use life jackets in the pool (it's allowed).  So last weekend, we used them both days. Here is the series of events to the best of everyone's memory:

Sunday:
We brought them home from the pool
My MIL recalls putting them on the back porch to dry

Sometime early last week:
MIL asked Dh to do something with the life jackets
DH recalls bringing them into our room.  I vaguely recall seeing them in there.  DH thinks I must have put them away but I have a landing place for all of the beach/pool stuff and if I did something with them, that's where they'd be.  In fact, before we realized they were missing, that's the first place I looked.

At this point, they vanished.  They're not in any drawer, closet, bag or under any of the beds.  They're not in the basement.  They're not on the porch.  They're not in any of the cars.  I dug through all of the girls' things to see if maybe they got mixed up in dress up clothes or something.  Nada. 

WHERE DID THEY GO????

They're not that small and our house isn't that big.  I can't imagine where they could be hiding.

kymom3

« Reply #1944 on: July 15, 2013, 10:32:54 AM »
My cordless screwdriver has disappeared.  I saw it in my dining room, moved some stuff around, looked for it--gone!  Looked again, no luck.  I bought a new one yesterday because I had some projects I wanted to get done, so the old one will probably show up soon.   :o

Also, I had a peach/coral colored shirt that has disappeared.  I need it to wear with a particular skirt and it's nowhere! 

twoferrets

« Reply #1945 on: July 15, 2013, 10:36:21 AM »
I bought my boyfriend a bottle of his favorite cologne when we were in our previous apartment.  The bottle was kept in the same spot in our armoire for many months.  He would grab it once each day, dab a little on, and return it to that spot.

It disappeared.

We looked everywhere, thinking he'd set it down in the bathroom, or on the desk, etc.  Nothing.  We figured it would turn up when we moved.  I actually expected to find it behind the armoire itself when we moved it out of the bedroom (I thought maybe it had slid through a gap in the back or something).  Nope.  Gone.  To this day, over a year later, we have no idea where it went and I eventually just bought him another bottle.

Then last fall, my bf walked into the kitchen one morning and found a spoon in the middle of the floor.  No big deal, right?  It's a kitchen, it has spoons in it.  Except we'd never seen this one before and it matched nothing we owned.  It was just THERE.  We now call it our Haunted Spoon and I refuse to use it.

Current theory is that the fairies traded us a spoon for the cologne, but they were delayed because we moved  ;D

(I should also add that sometimes when I open the armoire now I actually have a mini-panic moment thinking the "new" bottle will also be gone... or worse, the old one will be sitting next to it!)

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #1946 on: July 15, 2013, 01:59:24 PM »
So I pose the question to you - how can a phone, that is by all accounts dead, turn itself on and then set its own alarm off??

A rough guess is that someone set an alarm on it far into the future, and forgot to cancel it. Then, the phone maintained just enough juice to wake up when the alarm finally came due.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

cwm

« Reply #1947 on: July 15, 2013, 02:23:55 PM »
Where did my script go?

I wrote myself a script for work, as I tend to forget things very easily, so it's on a regular sheet of paper with the top half for if someone answers and the bottom half for voicemails. I keep it folded over and always right by my keyboard, since I'll be typing things in as I'm on the phone with people.

I had it last Friday. I KNOW I had it last Friday. I remember making these calls last Friday and NOT worrying about where it was. And the cleaning staff doesn't touch ANYTHING on anyone's desks, they only mess with the trash cans. Heck, they don't even do the recycle cans, we have to empty those into the giant shred boxes ourselves.

It's not in any of my drawers. It's not with the rest of the papers I had out. It's not where I usually keep it when I'm not using it, on a little organizer on my desk. It's not pinned up anywhere, or taped down anywhere. It's just GONE.

The most mind boggling thing is this script is less than useless for anyone else. I have my own personal script that I wrote from how I talk, it's much more natural to me than the unofficial official script that we were encouraged to ad lib from. But I can't ad lib. I need a script. And I got rid of the original because I made my own.

GAHHH!!!!

Baby Snakes

« Reply #1948 on: July 15, 2013, 03:12:57 PM »
We had a new wireless doorbell installed about three months ago and it has been working fine.  The other night I was in bed just beginning to drift off and heard the doorbell ring, but instead of "Ding Dong"  just the "Dong" part sounded.  After a pause of about 15 seconds the bell rang again, this time with the whole "Ding Dong".  There was nobody at the door and my son and I were mystified how the doorbell would ring on its own.

cwm

« Reply #1949 on: July 15, 2013, 03:26:22 PM »
We had a new wireless doorbell installed about three months ago and it has been working fine.  The other night I was in bed just beginning to drift off and heard the doorbell ring, but instead of "Ding Dong"  just the "Dong" part sounded.  After a pause of about 15 seconds the bell rang again, this time with the whole "Ding Dong".  There was nobody at the door and my son and I were mystified how the doorbell would ring on its own.

I'm not sure exactly how wireless doorbells work, but it could have been an interfering signal from somewhere accidentally triggering it. Not sure about how only the second part would work, though.

We had plenty of problems with our wireless doorbell, so much that we just got rid of it and installed a normal one.