Author Topic: Your own personal mysteries.  (Read 277433 times)

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
Re: Your own personal mysteries.
« Reply #1950 on: July 15, 2013, 04:50:44 PM »
My mother's wireless doorbell goes off when someone presses the button at her neighbour's house.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #1951 on: July 15, 2013, 04:51:53 PM »
We had a new wireless doorbell installed about three months ago and it has been working fine.  The other night I was in bed just beginning to drift off and heard the doorbell ring, but instead of "Ding Dong"  just the "Dong" part sounded.  After a pause of about 15 seconds the bell rang again, this time with the whole "Ding Dong".  There was nobody at the door and my son and I were mystified how the doorbell would ring on its own.

I'm not sure exactly how wireless doorbells work, but it could have been an interfering signal from somewhere accidentally triggering it. Not sure about how only the second part would work, though.

We had plenty of problems with our wireless doorbell, so much that we just got rid of it and installed a normal one.

Yes, the word "wireless" indicates where the problem may be, rather than a phantom bell-ringer.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #1952 on: July 15, 2013, 11:33:28 PM »
We had a new wireless doorbell installed about three months ago and it has been working fine.  The other night I was in bed just beginning to drift off and heard the doorbell ring, but instead of "Ding Dong"  just the "Dong" part sounded.  After a pause of about 15 seconds the bell rang again, this time with the whole "Ding Dong".  There was nobody at the door and my son and I were mystified how the doorbell would ring on its own.

I'm not sure exactly how wireless doorbells work, but it could have been an interfering signal from somewhere accidentally triggering it. Not sure about how only the second part would work, though.

We had plenty of problems with our wireless doorbell, so much that we just got rid of it and installed a normal one.

Our wireless doorbell and the new phone we bought at around the same time both started ringing at 1 am every evening with no one at the door or on the line.  The phone has a way to schedule times where it does not ring so I set it to be silent between 12:55 and 1:05 am.  Once I did that, the doorbell stopped ringing as well.  I think someone in the neighborhood has something that was setting off the phone and then the phone was setting off the doorbell.

Psychopoesie

« Reply #1953 on: July 16, 2013, 12:45:45 AM »
Reading this thread made me remember the mystery of the missing doll case.

Growing up, I had a lovely Sindy doll case (like the one pictured in this blog. http://virginiaknitting.blogspot.com.au/2011_09_01_archive.html ).  I took it with me everywhere, and made bedding for the dolls that slept there (barbie, Luke Skywalker & a bionic woman doll - Sindy herself was retired after I cut her hair a little too short). It went with me everywhere & even when I'd grown out of playing with dolls, I kept it in a special place in my bedroom.

When I moved out of home and thousands of km away to start uni, it stayed in my old bedroom. I only went back home for brief visits. At some point, I noticed it was missing & the search commenced. What happened was a complete mystery. Mum swore she had not given it away to anyone in my absence or thrown it out. When mum ended up moving house, figured it would turn up during the packing. Felt a bit sad when it didn't.

On the bright side, a few of the other childhood toys that meant a great deal to me did survive. Some of them sit on top of my bookcase and watch over my library. Others have been given to another generation of family to love.

crella

« Reply #1954 on: July 16, 2013, 01:50:57 AM »
We had two.

My mother swore that people were knocking on the front door in the middle of the night. She would get up, go to the door, and find no one there...but the knocking was loud enough to wake her up even though she was taking a sleeping pill. 2 am is an odd time for even teenagers to be out, it's a nice neighborhood, if they were up to no good (burlgars etc) they wouldn't knock, or wouldn't just knock and go away. We were mystified.

She also was always totally ticked off that 'the doctor's office NEVER calls me back!'. She complained many times about it. I knew she was calling the doctor's office, so I thought she should be getting calls back, so I was upset over it too. She had an answering machine, so she could get messages even when she was out at dialysis, but it was rare that she got a message.

Well, she passed away last August. We were sitting in the family room after the funeral, talking about how it went, and talked about how surprised we were that we hadn't heard from one uncle and cousin, (they hadn't attended), when we got a message that the Comcast voice mail was full....'what Comcast voice mail!?" We dialed the numbers as prompted, and listened through 175 messages, 90% from the doctor's office she swore never called her back, along with the relatives that didn't come, asking for directions to the funeral. Oh, boy. I apologized to the relatives, and the doctor's office.

I went back to the house to clean it out and on the November trip we turned on the heat for the first time. At 2 am precisely every night (until I got the system bled) the pipes BANGED 8-10 times in a row as it kicked in. The door-pounding mystery solved....wish I could tell her.

Who would have guessed either thing?  ;)

Mad Goat Woman

• formerly Hamlet: The Original Emo
    • Mad Goat Woman
« Reply #1955 on: July 16, 2013, 04:37:33 AM »
Where did the little grey kitten that's sitting on my lap come from?

1. My dad found him in the feedshed
2. He was able to be picked up and not bite or hiss or scratch
3. He's not a stray, based on his behaviour
4. He's settled in as if he's always lived here

Could've been dumped, but he would have to have been dumped in the last few weeks, and we have no idea how old little Ghostie Grey is. I'm taking it as a sign that he was meant to be my cat.

Captains Flat, Australia

Moonie

« Reply #1956 on: July 16, 2013, 12:39:46 PM »
I'm pretty sure he was left there by angels.

EllenS

« Reply #1957 on: July 16, 2013, 05:50:43 PM »
Where are my totally awesome cowboy boots?  I haven't seen them since I moved from my house-share in North Carolina, shipped all my stuff to my parent's house, and went to Europe for the summer.  Everything else made it, why not the boots?

It's been 16 years, I still miss those boots.  They were so comfortable.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #1958 on: July 16, 2013, 06:42:40 PM »
I'm pretty sure he was left there by angels.

That's Ghostie's story, and he's sticking to it.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Layla Miller

• I know stuff.
« Reply #1959 on: July 17, 2013, 09:47:56 PM »
How did my eleven-month-old daughter pull the string out of my coupon organizer?

I have a coupon organizer that is held shut by a string looped around it.  The string has a toggle at each end that goes through a hole on the cover of the organizer.  (It kind of looks like this: http://www.amazon.com/Coupon-Organizer-Receipt-Holder-Wallet/dp/B008657JSM/ref=sr_1_48?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1374111899&sr=1-48&keywords=coupon+organizer) I was looking through coupons earlier tonight and DD started playing with the string.  After a few moments I noticed the string felt odd and I looked down to see that one end had been pulled out of the hole.  Just as I looked at her, she pulled the other end out.  Of course I took the string away so she couldn't swallow it or anything like that, and proceeded to try to pull the string back through the hole.

It wouldn't fit.  No matter how hard I pushed, I could not make either toggle fit through the hole.  DH couldn't do it, either.  Not even with pliers.

How the heck did DD manage this?  And effortlessly--she was barely pulling on the string!  :o
I searched for nothing on the Internet and got 175,000,000 hits.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #1960 on: July 17, 2013, 09:55:09 PM »
^^^ That is the law of children.

If it can be broken, it will be broken.  Sort of falls in the same category of, if it's child proof and you as an adult can't get it open, hand it to a kid.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Mad Goat Woman

• formerly Hamlet: The Original Emo
    • Mad Goat Woman
« Reply #1961 on: July 18, 2013, 07:59:22 AM »
Here's a photo of Ghostie

« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 08:01:53 AM by Mad Goat Woman »

Captains Flat, Australia

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1962 on: July 18, 2013, 11:45:16 AM »
Is he as soft as he looks?  It might be just the way the light is in the picture but it looks like all his toes have some white.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

The Wild One, Forever

« Reply #1963 on: July 18, 2013, 02:40:15 PM »
What an adorable kitty cat!  I love those soft gray kitties with a little white on them. 
Soft silly music is meaningful, magical

Moonie

« Reply #1964 on: July 18, 2013, 02:46:26 PM »
I have a gray kitty also, and he has very soft fur. Ghostie is a very dapper guy!