Author Topic: Your own personal mysteries.  (Read 275391 times)

Mad Goat Woman

• formerly Hamlet: The Original Emo
    • Mad Goat Woman
Re: Your own personal mysteries.
« Reply #1965 on: July 18, 2013, 06:50:43 PM »
Yes, he really is as soft as he looks, and he's extremely gentle, unlike my other cat who is a half-feral monster who will bite me at every chance she gets...

From what I've seen of Russian Blues when I look online, I suspect he might have some of that in him.

Captains Flat, Australia

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1966 on: July 18, 2013, 07:22:40 PM »
My mother's wireless doorbell goes off when someone presses the button at her neighbour's house.

There were a couple of weeks when, after we had a new garage door opener installed, LDH would yell at me for not closing the garage door . . . he found the door open in the morning when he left for work.

I KNOW! I closed the darned thing! I stood by and watch while it closed. All the way! Not like there was anything in the path so that it bounced back up.

One day, I just came inside . . . after making sure the garage door was fully closed . . . and heard the garage door opening.

I ran outside in time to see neighbor (2 houses down) pulling into his driveway.

I have no clue as to why I though of this, but I grabbed the garage remote from my car and walked to his house. He was just leaving his garage as his door went down.

Me: Hey, Neighbor. Do you mind if I try something?

I explained the story, pushed my garage door opener button and sure enough, his garage door went up.

It turns out that we bought the same brand/type opener that he had in his garage and neither one of us changed the pass-code frequency thingy. We both just kept it at the factory default setting.

Maybe something like that is going on with your mom's doorbell?

Check into the security/pass code settings.

unnalee

« Reply #1967 on: July 19, 2013, 01:02:57 PM »
Why is it that EVERY time I fall asleep in the living room (on the couch, in the recliner, even on the floor), I always find myself suddenly wide awake at 4:30 a.m.?  There's no alarm set, or any appliance that kicks on at that time.  This doesn't happen when I manage to make it to my actual bed.  I just find it odd.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #1968 on: July 19, 2013, 08:02:56 PM »
The icemaker in the freezer dumps at that time, making enough noise to wake you up but not enough noise for you to remember what woke you up?

You need to get out of the recliner and head to the bathroom because of the angle at which you are sleeping?

Otherwise...I have no idea.  I do know that I wake up about every three hours (two sleep cycles of 90 minutes) to go to the bathroom - or at least CHECK to see if I need to go.

If I were getting more deep sleep - I might not need to wake up and check....but, alas, I can't seem to get THAT deeply asleep.

Now - WHY I can't get into deep sleep, I do not know.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

TeamBhakta

« Reply #1969 on: August 02, 2013, 02:41:59 AM »
My best friend and I went to a movie at 10 PM. There was a couple a few rows below us; other than that, the show was empty. Halfway through the movie, I noticed a glimmer out of the corner of my eye. I didn't think much of it at first. But then I got this weird feeling like I was being watched. I looked up and there was a round object just hovering in the air. It was bigger than a golf ball but smaller than those rubber bouncy balls kids like to toss at brick walls. The ball was probably one or two feel below ceiling level, and directly over the first row that had stairs next to it.  ???

It was definitely too big and round to be a dust particle, eye floaters, light from the projection room, a thrown food wrapper or the beam from a laser pointer. As the ball moved across the room, the side facing the screen + the left side (my left) was reflecting light from the screen; the back side was black. I grabbed my purse to take out my camera for a picture, when the ball got closer to the wall. But by the time I got my camera out, the ball was gone.

Cherry91

« Reply #1970 on: August 02, 2013, 06:05:37 AM »
One that I come to wonder about every little while is two students from my class at university.

The first, we never met in person. He was on all the attendance registers and paperwork for the class, but never showed up. The lecturers expressed as much surprise and confusion as the students, so he hadn't told them he'd fallen ill or anything. However, every month or so, he sent around a group email stating how sad he was to not have met us yet, and how he hoped to see us soon, so we all thought he'd finally be making an appearance. No such luck, and then each month gone brought another email. To make things even stranger, in spite of never attending lessons, completing assignments (that we know of - there were several group assignments involving presentations, he could have been submitting the essays) or taking the exams, we came into our second year (you had to pass the first year to be allowed to start the second) and his name was still on the register!

The second girl I actually met and got on quite well with. She and I had a fair amount in common and on occasion would work or study together. We had an assignment that required us to record a conversation between ourselves and another person (so we could transcribe it), and she offered to lend me her dictaphone, having already made a recording for her own transcript. I gratefully accepted, made my recording, saved it to my computer and came in the following Monday ready to return it... only for her to not be in our lesson. Okay, she's ill, I thought, except she wasn't in all week. I sent her a message on FB reminding her that I had her dictaphone, and got no response. She never came back to university. I attempted on several occasions to get her dictaphone back to her, but she stopped answering her phone and FB.

I still have the dictaphone...

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #1971 on: August 02, 2013, 09:48:10 AM »
One that I come to wonder about every little while is two students from my class at university.

The first, we never met in person. He was on all the attendance registers and paperwork for the class, but never showed up. The lecturers expressed as much surprise and confusion as the students, so he hadn't told them he'd fallen ill or anything. However, every month or so, he sent around a group email stating how sad he was to not have met us yet, and how he hoped to see us soon, so we all thought he'd finally be making an appearance. No such luck, and then each month gone brought another email. To make things even stranger, in spite of never attending lessons, completing assignments (that we know of - there were several group assignments involving presentations, he could have been submitting the essays) or taking the exams, we came into our second year (you had to pass the first year to be allowed to start the second) and his name was still on the register!

The second girl I actually met and got on quite well with. She and I had a fair amount in common and on occasion would work or study together. We had an assignment that required us to record a conversation between ourselves and another person (so we could transcribe it), and she offered to lend me her dictaphone, having already made a recording for her own transcript. I gratefully accepted, made my recording, saved it to my computer and came in the following Monday ready to return it... only for her to not be in our lesson. Okay, she's ill, I thought, except she wasn't in all week. I sent her a message on FB reminding her that I had her dictaphone, and got no response. She never came back to university. I attempted on several occasions to get her dictaphone back to her, but she stopped answering her phone and FB.

I still have the dictaphone...

LOL! This reminds me of an incident in my second year of college - not so much a mystery now, but still amusing. We had a student registered for our program who also didn't show. No one knew where he was for a month or two. People were doing 'Jimmy Hoffa' type updates, writing messages on the walls, etc. Eventually we found out he had gone to another program. Not sure why no one could find him, they had their classes right next to ours!
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #1972 on: August 02, 2013, 10:46:03 AM »
My best friend and I went to a movie at 10 PM. There was a couple a few rows below us; other than that, the show was empty. Halfway through the movie, I noticed a glimmer out of the corner of my eye. I didn't think much of it at first. But then I got this weird feeling like I was being watched. I looked up and there was a round object just hovering in the air. It was bigger than a golf ball but smaller than those rubber bouncy balls kids like to toss at brick walls. The ball was probably one or two feel below ceiling level, and directly over the first row that had stairs next to it.  ???

It was definitely too big and round to be a dust particle, eye floaters, light from the projection room, a thrown food wrapper or the beam from a laser pointer. As the ball moved across the room, the side facing the screen + the left side (my left) was reflecting light from the screen; the back side was black. I grabbed my purse to take out my camera for a picture, when the ball got closer to the wall. But by the time I got my camera out, the ball was gone.

That is making the hair on the back of my neck stand up.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

cwm

« Reply #1973 on: August 02, 2013, 11:52:50 AM »
What ran through my apartment last night? No, really, what? I'm on a 3rd floor apartment and for the moment sleeping in the living room. (Shades in my bedroom broke, waiting for them to be fixed, and it's too bright in there to sleep.)

As I'm lying on the futon pad on the ground, I saw something in front of me dart through the living room and in towards the dining room/kitchen. It looked vaguely...black and blue and spiky? I mean, not spiky like there were spikes sticking out of it, but the general sensation I got from it was spiky. It was a dark dark black with a kind of faint electric blue outline-ish around it.

I don't feel scared by it, just kind of disturbed that I couldn't feel it at all more than anything else. I'm not scared, I'd just like to know what I'm living with so I can respect its space and all.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #1974 on: August 02, 2013, 11:57:46 AM »

That's one of those things that will *never* be solved, because it's a one-shot deal. You can't rewind to get a closer look, a different angle, see if someone else can see it in the same way you do. It's frustrating.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Snooks

« Reply #1975 on: August 04, 2013, 03:10:50 PM »
Ok who's got all the containers because I've got all the lids.  A little while ago we were over-run with plastic containers but we freeze a lot of meals so it was fine, now we've got no containers and lots of lids.

Dr. F.

« Reply #1976 on: August 04, 2013, 04:38:52 PM »
Ok who's got all the containers because I've got all the lids.  A little while ago we were over-run with plastic containers but we freeze a lot of meals so it was fine, now we've got no containers and lots of lids.

Me, probably. I've got oodles of containers and no lids. I think there's a wormhole in my kitchen.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #1977 on: August 04, 2013, 09:03:09 PM »

Me, probably. I've got oodles of containers and no lids. I think there's a wormhole in my kitchen.

I've been having containers breaking - but I save the extra lids because a few years ago, the LIDS were breaking and I had all these containers without lids.  I prefer spare lids to none.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #1978 on: August 05, 2013, 12:00:52 PM »
Where do single socks go?? Seriously does my washing machine eat them? I'm surrounded by single tiny DS socks and I'm really confused as they went into the machine in pairs. Now I'm stuck with a million divorced socks searchingffrantically for their partners.

I'm convinced that somewhere in my house is a whole other pile of single socks just waiting to be reunited with their lost sole mates.

Sorry.  Bad puns are my Archilles heel...
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #1979 on: August 05, 2013, 03:00:36 PM »
Where do single socks go?? Seriously does my washing machine eat them? I'm surrounded by single tiny DS socks and I'm really confused as they went into the machine in pairs. Now I'm stuck with a million divorced socks searchingffrantically for their partners.

I'm convinced that somewhere in my house is a whole other pile of single socks just waiting to be reunited with their lost sole mates.

Sorry.  Bad puns are my Archilles heel...

I finally solved this problem by washing and drying socks in a garment bag. 
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah