News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 21, 2018, 04:32:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Your own personal mysteries.  (Read 752980 times)

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
Re: Your own personal mysteries.
« Reply #1950 on: July 19, 2013, 07:02:56 PM »
The icemaker in the freezer dumps at that time, making enough noise to wake you up but not enough noise for you to remember what woke you up?

You need to get out of the recliner and head to the bathroom because of the angle at which you are sleeping?

Otherwise...I have no idea.  I do know that I wake up about every three hours (two sleep cycles of 90 minutes) to go to the bathroom - or at least CHECK to see if I need to go.

If I were getting more deep sleep - I might not need to wake up and check....but, alas, I can't seem to get THAT deeply asleep.

Now - WHY I can't get into deep sleep, I do not know.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

TeamBhakta

« Reply #1951 on: August 02, 2013, 01:41:59 AM »
My best friend and I went to a movie at 10 PM. There was a couple a few rows below us; other than that, the show was empty. Halfway through the movie, I noticed a glimmer out of the corner of my eye. I didn't think much of it at first. But then I got this weird feeling like I was being watched. I looked up and there was a round object just hovering in the air. It was bigger than a golf ball but smaller than those rubber bouncy balls kids like to toss at brick walls. The ball was probably one or two feel below ceiling level, and directly over the first row that had stairs next to it.  ???

It was definitely too big and round to be a dust particle, eye floaters, light from the projection room, a thrown food wrapper or the beam from a laser pointer. As the ball moved across the room, the side facing the screen + the left side (my left) was reflecting light from the screen; the back side was black. I grabbed my purse to take out my camera for a picture, when the ball got closer to the wall. But by the time I got my camera out, the ball was gone.

Cherry91

« Reply #1952 on: August 02, 2013, 05:05:37 AM »
One that I come to wonder about every little while is two students from my class at university.

The first, we never met in person. He was on all the attendance registers and paperwork for the class, but never showed up. The lecturers expressed as much surprise and confusion as the students, so he hadn't told them he'd fallen ill or anything. However, every month or so, he sent around a group email stating how sad he was to not have met us yet, and how he hoped to see us soon, so we all thought he'd finally be making an appearance. No such luck, and then each month gone brought another email. To make things even stranger, in spite of never attending lessons, completing assignments (that we know of - there were several group assignments involving presentations, he could have been submitting the essays) or taking the exams, we came into our second year (you had to pass the first year to be allowed to start the second) and his name was still on the register!

The second girl I actually met and got on quite well with. She and I had a fair amount in common and on occasion would work or study together. We had an assignment that required us to record a conversation between ourselves and another person (so we could transcribe it), and she offered to lend me her dictaphone, having already made a recording for her own transcript. I gratefully accepted, made my recording, saved it to my computer and came in the following Monday ready to return it... only for her to not be in our lesson. Okay, she's ill, I thought, except she wasn't in all week. I sent her a message on FB reminding her that I had her dictaphone, and got no response. She never came back to university. I attempted on several occasions to get her dictaphone back to her, but she stopped answering her phone and FB.

I still have the dictaphone...
All will be well, and all manner of things will be well.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #1953 on: August 02, 2013, 08:48:10 AM »
One that I come to wonder about every little while is two students from my class at university.

The first, we never met in person. He was on all the attendance registers and paperwork for the class, but never showed up. The lecturers expressed as much surprise and confusion as the students, so he hadn't told them he'd fallen ill or anything. However, every month or so, he sent around a group email stating how sad he was to not have met us yet, and how he hoped to see us soon, so we all thought he'd finally be making an appearance. No such luck, and then each month gone brought another email. To make things even stranger, in spite of never attending lessons, completing assignments (that we know of - there were several group assignments involving presentations, he could have been submitting the essays) or taking the exams, we came into our second year (you had to pass the first year to be allowed to start the second) and his name was still on the register!

The second girl I actually met and got on quite well with. She and I had a fair amount in common and on occasion would work or study together. We had an assignment that required us to record a conversation between ourselves and another person (so we could transcribe it), and she offered to lend me her dictaphone, having already made a recording for her own transcript. I gratefully accepted, made my recording, saved it to my computer and came in the following Monday ready to return it... only for her to not be in our lesson. Okay, she's ill, I thought, except she wasn't in all week. I sent her a message on FB reminding her that I had her dictaphone, and got no response. She never came back to university. I attempted on several occasions to get her dictaphone back to her, but she stopped answering her phone and FB.

I still have the dictaphone...

LOL! This reminds me of an incident in my second year of college - not so much a mystery now, but still amusing. We had a student registered for our program who also didn't show. No one knew where he was for a month or two. People were doing 'Jimmy Hoffa' type updates, writing messages on the walls, etc. Eventually we found out he had gone to another program. Not sure why no one could find him, they had their classes right next to ours!
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #1954 on: August 02, 2013, 09:46:03 AM »
My best friend and I went to a movie at 10 PM. There was a couple a few rows below us; other than that, the show was empty. Halfway through the movie, I noticed a glimmer out of the corner of my eye. I didn't think much of it at first. But then I got this weird feeling like I was being watched. I looked up and there was a round object just hovering in the air. It was bigger than a golf ball but smaller than those rubber bouncy balls kids like to toss at brick walls. The ball was probably one or two feel below ceiling level, and directly over the first row that had stairs next to it.  ???

It was definitely too big and round to be a dust particle, eye floaters, light from the projection room, a thrown food wrapper or the beam from a laser pointer. As the ball moved across the room, the side facing the screen + the left side (my left) was reflecting light from the screen; the back side was black. I grabbed my purse to take out my camera for a picture, when the ball got closer to the wall. But by the time I got my camera out, the ball was gone.

That is making the hair on the back of my neck stand up.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

cwm

« Reply #1955 on: August 02, 2013, 10:52:50 AM »
What ran through my apartment last night? No, really, what? I'm on a 3rd floor apartment and for the moment sleeping in the living room. (Shades in my bedroom broke, waiting for them to be fixed, and it's too bright in there to sleep.)

As I'm lying on the futon pad on the ground, I saw something in front of me dart through the living room and in towards the dining room/kitchen. It looked vaguely...black and blue and spiky? I mean, not spiky like there were spikes sticking out of it, but the general sensation I got from it was spiky. It was a dark dark black with a kind of faint electric blue outline-ish around it.

I don't feel scared by it, just kind of disturbed that I couldn't feel it at all more than anything else. I'm not scared, I'd just like to know what I'm living with so I can respect its space and all.

Twik

« Reply #1956 on: August 02, 2013, 10:57:46 AM »

That's one of those things that will *never* be solved, because it's a one-shot deal. You can't rewind to get a closer look, a different angle, see if someone else can see it in the same way you do. It's frustrating.
"The sky's the limit. Your sky. Your limit. Now, let's dance!"

Snooks

« Reply #1957 on: August 04, 2013, 02:10:50 PM »
Ok who's got all the containers because I've got all the lids.  A little while ago we were over-run with plastic containers but we freeze a lot of meals so it was fine, now we've got no containers and lots of lids.

Dr. F.

« Reply #1958 on: August 04, 2013, 03:38:52 PM »
Ok who's got all the containers because I've got all the lids.  A little while ago we were over-run with plastic containers but we freeze a lot of meals so it was fine, now we've got no containers and lots of lids.

Me, probably. I've got oodles of containers and no lids. I think there's a wormhole in my kitchen.

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #1959 on: August 04, 2013, 08:03:09 PM »

Me, probably. I've got oodles of containers and no lids. I think there's a wormhole in my kitchen.

I've been having containers breaking - but I save the extra lids because a few years ago, the LIDS were breaking and I had all these containers without lids.  I prefer spare lids to none.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #1960 on: August 05, 2013, 11:00:52 AM »
Where do single socks go?? Seriously does my washing machine eat them? I'm surrounded by single tiny DS socks and I'm really confused as they went into the machine in pairs. Now I'm stuck with a million divorced socks searchingffrantically for their partners.

I'm convinced that somewhere in my house is a whole other pile of single socks just waiting to be reunited with their lost sole mates.

Sorry.  Bad puns are my Archilles heel...
Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #1961 on: August 05, 2013, 02:00:36 PM »
Where do single socks go?? Seriously does my washing machine eat them? I'm surrounded by single tiny DS socks and I'm really confused as they went into the machine in pairs. Now I'm stuck with a million divorced socks searchingffrantically for their partners.

I'm convinced that somewhere in my house is a whole other pile of single socks just waiting to be reunited with their lost sole mates.

Sorry.  Bad puns are my Archilles heel...

I finally solved this problem by washing and drying socks in a garment bag. 
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #1962 on: August 05, 2013, 10:33:33 PM »
I called my gynaecologist's office this morning to make an appointment for some follow-ups on issues I had last year.  The appointment was set for 9:15am next Tuesday.

Not 2 minutes later the receptionist called back - I apparently already had an appointment (a double appt) for 9:45am next Monday.

Now I honestly can't recall making the appointment last year (and it's not something I'd do, because I'd forget it  ::) ) but there it is.

I either have a secretary looking after me that I don't know about, or menopause finally has sent me senile...   :-\

Out on the patio we'd sit,
And the humidity we'd breathe,
We'd watch the lightning crack over canefields
Laugh and think, this is Australia.

Ganggajang - Sounds Of Then (This Is Australia)

TeamBhakta

« Reply #1963 on: August 08, 2013, 07:18:58 PM »
I had my old phone and my new phone on the computer desk. I sent a text to someone on my new phone, then walked off to the bathroom. Neither phone was on a charger. You would never mistake the ring tones & "you've got a text / your phone is charged" sounds from the new phone vs the old one; they sound completely different. From the bathroom, I heard the "your phone is charged / you have a text" sound from my old phone a couple times. When I got back to the computer desk, there weren't any missed calls or missed texts on the old phone. Same for the new phone.  ???

Cherry91

« Reply #1964 on: August 09, 2013, 08:36:05 AM »
Okay, I've got one I just remembered: what was it that made me so darn forgettable to one of my university lecturers?

This lecturer was our first year supervisor, so she dealt with our inductions and so on. We had a few months where we had less contact, then she took over one of the units, so we had her at least twice a week.

One day, I came into a lecture and sat down in the area I usually sat in, and this lecturer hurried over and asked me if I was the new transfer student she'd been expecting! And this wasn't at the start of a new term so she hadn't seen me in a while - I'd been in one of her lessons earlier that week! I informed her that actually I'd been in all her lectures to this point, and she looked slightly embarrassed and walked off.

About three months later, I was finding a seat for an exam when a teacher at the front announced that certain classes needed to be in certain number seats. I look and wouldn't you know it, not the right number seat. However, when I got up, I couldn't see any seats available in the correct numbers. I see the lecturer and go over to her and state my problem, and she smiled at me and went "Ok, what subject are you in?" I stared at her, stunned. "English. Yours." I replied. Not only had I never missed any of her twice a week lessons, there'd also been seminars once a fortnight and two revision sessions I'd attended for this very exam!

The thing that made it all the more frustrating was that it wasn't just a case of her being forgetful - she knew most of the other students by name, but for some reason she couldn't even remember that I was in her class!
All will be well, and all manner of things will be well.