Author Topic: Your own personal mysteries.  (Read 296385 times)

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
Re: Your own personal mysteries.
« Reply #1980 on: August 05, 2013, 11:33:33 PM »
I called my gynaecologist's office this morning to make an appointment for some follow-ups on issues I had last year.  The appointment was set for 9:15am next Tuesday.

Not 2 minutes later the receptionist called back - I apparently already had an appointment (a double appt) for 9:45am next Monday.

Now I honestly can't recall making the appointment last year (and it's not something I'd do, because I'd forget it  ::) ) but there it is.

I either have a secretary looking after me that I don't know about, or menopause finally has sent me senile...   :-\

TeamBhakta

« Reply #1981 on: August 08, 2013, 08:18:58 PM »
I had my old phone and my new phone on the computer desk. I sent a text to someone on my new phone, then walked off to the bathroom. Neither phone was on a charger. You would never mistake the ring tones & "you've got a text / your phone is charged" sounds from the new phone vs the old one; they sound completely different. From the bathroom, I heard the "your phone is charged / you have a text" sound from my old phone a couple times. When I got back to the computer desk, there weren't any missed calls or missed texts on the old phone. Same for the new phone.  ???

Cherry91

« Reply #1982 on: August 09, 2013, 09:36:05 AM »
Okay, I've got one I just remembered: what was it that made me so darn forgettable to one of my university lecturers?

This lecturer was our first year supervisor, so she dealt with our inductions and so on. We had a few months where we had less contact, then she took over one of the units, so we had her at least twice a week.

One day, I came into a lecture and sat down in the area I usually sat in, and this lecturer hurried over and asked me if I was the new transfer student she'd been expecting! And this wasn't at the start of a new term so she hadn't seen me in a while - I'd been in one of her lessons earlier that week! I informed her that actually I'd been in all her lectures to this point, and she looked slightly embarrassed and walked off.

About three months later, I was finding a seat for an exam when a teacher at the front announced that certain classes needed to be in certain number seats. I look and wouldn't you know it, not the right number seat. However, when I got up, I couldn't see any seats available in the correct numbers. I see the lecturer and go over to her and state my problem, and she smiled at me and went "Ok, what subject are you in?" I stared at her, stunned. "English. Yours." I replied. Not only had I never missed any of her twice a week lessons, there'd also been seminars once a fortnight and two revision sessions I'd attended for this very exam!

The thing that made it all the more frustrating was that it wasn't just a case of her being forgetful - she knew most of the other students by name, but for some reason she couldn't even remember that I was in her class!

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #1983 on: August 09, 2013, 11:52:09 AM »
Ouch, Cherry!

All I can say is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKHzTtr_lNk

Cherry91

« Reply #1984 on: August 09, 2013, 03:02:55 PM »
Ouch, Cherry!

All I can say is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKHzTtr_lNk

Good lord, you made Chicago relevant to my life. I'm not sure if I'm thrilled or horrified. (I love that musical!)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1985 on: August 10, 2013, 10:05:21 AM »
This is a tiny one but it does make me wonder.

I've written before about how people in our neighborhood put out boxes of 'stuff' on the sidewalk for passers-by to take home.  Yesterday, I chanced upon a box of ceramic items.  There were mugs of varying interest and a nice pair of candlesticks.  The candlesticks were too unwieldy to carry home but there was a coaster that I picked up. 

Once I got it home, it started to look oddly familiar.  It looks a lot like part of a set  I put out for a yard sale a few years ago. 

Julia Mercer

• Country Gals Fan Page
« Reply #1986 on: August 25, 2013, 06:57:38 PM »
Where did my right hearing aid go to? I took out my left hearing aid last Fri, removed the battery, and put it in it's spot where I store it when they aren't' being worn, went to take the right one out, it popped out on its own and fell, but I didn't hear it hit the hardwood floor, I got down on my hands and knees and looked under the dresser and bed with a flashlight, looked under the other two dressers with a flashlight with no luck, looked in the bottom drawer that was slightly open, shook out DH's jeans that were there, nothing, even swept in the walk thru closet with no luck. Anyone know what happened to it, and if so, please tell it I need it, lol!

cwm

« Reply #1987 on: August 26, 2013, 12:04:14 PM »
I've found all the containers and lids! They're in my kitchen. I have an entire box full of lids and containers. I've managed to find two containers with lids that fit them, that's it.

I want to know where all my wrist braces went. I used to have two at work and one at home, but I decided to take one of my work ones home because I just need one at work. And now I have my one at work (not taking that home, not for anything, I need it too much at work) but can't find any of my home ones.

Well, that's not exactly true. I can find the hard brace that doesn't fit properly and needs a sleeve under it to keep from chafing my arm that I haven't used in six or seven years. I just can't find any of them that are actually useful to me.

Julia Mercer

• Country Gals Fan Page
« Reply #1988 on: August 28, 2013, 01:06:17 AM »
Found my hearing aid! I was looking in the top drawer of my dresser for something, moved something in there, and there it was, WHEW, put it where it belonged!

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #1989 on: August 28, 2013, 06:42:29 AM »
Found my hearing aid! I was looking in the top drawer of my dresser for something, moved something in there, and there it was, WHEW, put it where it belonged!

So glad you found it!  Those are so expensive to replace.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Cami

« Reply #1990 on: August 28, 2013, 10:18:33 AM »
The banner ad I'm seeing for a stain remover reminded me of a personal mystery involving a stain. 

My dd had a shirt that got one of those mystery stains -- the kind where you have NO idea when you got the stain, what the stain could be and also -- since it's right on the front chest of the shirt -- how in the world you could have overlooked it when you got it. So we dutifully put stain remover on the shirt. Throw in wash.  Wash is over. Pull out shirt.

Original stain is gone, but now shirt looks like it has watermark stains all over it.

Throw shirt back in the wash. Wash is over. Pull out shirt.

Watermark stains are now gone. Original stain has returned.

Shirt goes into trash while we wonder where the original stain went during the interregnum of the watermark stain.

CuriousParty

« Reply #1991 on: August 28, 2013, 01:25:35 PM »
The banner ad I'm seeing for a stain remover reminded me of a personal mystery involving a stain. 

My dd had a shirt that got one of those mystery stains -- the kind where you have NO idea when you got the stain, what the stain could be and also -- since it's right on the front chest of the shirt -- how in the world you could have overlooked it when you got it. So we dutifully put stain remover on the shirt. Throw in wash.  Wash is over. Pull out shirt.

Original stain is gone, but now shirt looks like it has watermark stains all over it.

Throw shirt back in the wash. Wash is over. Pull out shirt.

Watermark stains are now gone. Original stain has returned.

Shirt goes into trash while we wonder where the original stain went during the interregnum of the watermark stain.

I know this one!  Not the stain disappearance-reappearance one, that's weird, but the stains-that-look-like-watermarks and magical appearing stains where none were known to exist before...

Grease or greasy-based/oil based stains.  Residue from food, or chapstick, or something like that.  Regular washing and even sometimes direct stain treatment doesn't always get them out and they can be hard to see before you toss it in the dryer. 

Sometimes a re-wash in warm (not cold) water with direct treatment will work, but if not try a dab of Dawn dishsoap (just Dawn. Other types don't work) and 90% of the time - woosh!

The rest of the time a soak in stain treatment (OxyClean or color safe Clorox) usually works too.

CuriousParty - who has spent most of the last six years with at least one spitting up infant in the house, which is a primary source of watermark-type stains.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1992 on: August 28, 2013, 01:32:38 PM »
Lestoil also works wonders for grease stains - even that black car grease.  It'll usually work even if the item has gone through the dryer to 'set' the stain.

From the person with a large 'shelf' who constantly drops oily stuff like salad dressing.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #1993 on: August 28, 2013, 03:25:14 PM »

May I just say that I love hanging out on a board where the word "interregnum" is thrown around casually?
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #1994 on: August 29, 2013, 01:38:59 PM »
Many years ago I was enamored of a particular bottled iced tea. I drank it all the time. It came in a very pretty bottle, so I was happy when they ran a promotion for getting a coffee mug with the same design on it. I did whatever it was they required and sent off for one. It seemed like it was never going to show up and I finally forgot about it. After a year/year and a half suddenly it arrives in the mail. Great!

Several years later I move into a different house. Several years after moving into that house what shows up in the mail? Another coffee mug. At this point I had long since stopped drinking that tea. I can't figure out how they managed to get it to me as 1) I was living at a completely different address, 2) Any forwarding order from my older address would have expired years before. But the shipping label had my current and correct address on it, with no yellow stickers from the post office or anything. Just very weird.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!