Author Topic: Your own personal mysteries.  (Read 311794 times)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: Your own personal mysteries.
« Reply #2010 on: September 23, 2013, 07:47:41 PM »
I love polydactyl cats - I had one with a thumb on each paw and a second one that had one thumb on one paw and two thumbs on the other, as well as an extra toe on each back foot.  Bit of a mutant, he was.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

that_one_girl

« Reply #2011 on: September 23, 2013, 08:51:35 PM »
I must have kitchen gnomes in my house ...
Over the last week I have found yellow squash and a brand new pack of chewing gum on my counters.

cwm

« Reply #2012 on: September 24, 2013, 12:28:40 PM »
I love polydactyl cats - I had one with a thumb on each paw and a second one that had one thumb on one paw and two thumbs on the other, as well as an extra toe on each back foot.  Bit of a mutant, he was.

The cat at the local board game store is named Toebias. He's a polydactyl. Beautiful cat, and he knows just how to flirt with the ladies who come in. He gets lots of love from it.

Carotte

« Reply #2013 on: September 24, 2013, 12:47:28 PM »
Unless the cats got opposable thumbs and grew 5 ft, there is no one else to put them in the freezer.   ;D

I bought one you do have to freeze at the same time.  It's in the door of the fridge freezer, where it is supposed to be.

Even without thumbs I'm pretty sure they could be the culprits. Do they have any hidding places for stuff (their toys, their "toys" that they are the only ones to believe are their, or toys?
Or could they have just played with them and batted them in a corner or at the bottom of the stairs?   

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2014 on: September 24, 2013, 01:16:04 PM »
These things would be far too heavy for the cats to move far.  But I did check the bottom of the stairs, in case they managed to push them off.  No dice.  Driving me bonkers, this is.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Julia Mercer

• Country Gals Fan Page
« Reply #2015 on: September 29, 2013, 07:23:07 PM »
I purchased a 20 pack of crew socks to wear at my new job, when I opened the package of them to roll them up and put them in the sock drawer, there was only 19 socks! I even counted them again to make sure I didn't miss one, and the package hadn't been tampered with (why would anyone want to steal a lone sock anyhow), where did the 20th sock go to? Did a factory worker take it for a one legged family member? And it's a generic company (bought them at Giant Tiger in Canada), so I can't contact them to find out what happened. Does anyone know?

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2016 on: September 29, 2013, 07:25:30 PM »
^^^  Nope.  But if you still have the packaging, the company's name will be there plus possibly an address or phone number.  Just get in touch with them and tell them how much you love your nineteen socks, but that number nineteen is so sad to have lost its partner.  I'm pretty sure they'll send you another sock.  At least.

Julia Mercer

• Country Gals Fan Page
« Reply #2017 on: September 30, 2013, 12:21:20 AM »
gramma dishes, first off, as DH so kindly pointed out, it was 39 socks, doi, and I do have the packaging, no address or phone number, I will look at it again, and Google the company name to find out how to contact them.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #2018 on: September 30, 2013, 12:41:39 AM »
Take them back to the store - it is, after all, a defective product, and they should replace it with another package of the same socks.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Julia Mercer

• Country Gals Fan Page
« Reply #2019 on: September 30, 2013, 07:16:09 PM »
Take them back to the store - it is, after all, a defective product, and they should replace it with another package of the same socks.

I've already rolled them up and put them in my sock drawer, and start the job tomorrow, so one less sock isn't that big a deal.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2020 on: September 30, 2013, 07:48:01 PM »
How did those cup-socks get on top of the silverware?

My mother has knitted me a couple of dozen little 'socks' that fit over a soda can or a normal-size glass. They're cup-socks because 'glass-socks' is too hissy and 'soda-can-socks' is too long.  They live in the second drawer of the little dresser in the dining room; the silverware is in the top drawer, and the TV lives on top of the dresser, taking up almost all of its top.

DH had just set the table, and I went into the silverware drawer for something that he had forgotten.  On top of the forks were three cup-socks and a coaster for a wineglass.  DH said they hadn't been there when he took the forks out a few minutes before.  They hadn't been on top of the dresser, so they couldn't have been knocked off unnoticed.  (The wineglass coaster has never been used, in fact.)  So how did they get there without tunneling up through the bottom of the drawer?
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

TeamBhakta

« Reply #2021 on: December 09, 2013, 01:49:38 PM »
 I wonder what happened to a kid I saw on 20/20 years ago. His name was Timmy and he was on a John Stossel special about kids taken away from the only families they've known. Timmy's mom and boyfriend raised Timmy until he was 11; then the mom died. Timmy's birth father heard about the mom's death + the boyfriend acting as a dad and decided "Ugh, no, you can't raise my kid. Never mind that I didn't want him for 11 years." That part of the segment ended with Timmy kicking up a storm as Birth Dad forced him into a truck, after a judge gave Birth Dad custody. Poor Timmy. :(
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 01:51:30 PM by TeamBhakta »

Pen^2

« Reply #2022 on: December 09, 2013, 02:32:16 PM »

For a second, I misread this as, "I love pterodactyl cats." I think my heart rate doubled in excitement.

Man, that would be awesome.

PennyandPleased

« Reply #2023 on: December 09, 2013, 02:49:44 PM »
When I was 8 and had just started riding horses an elderly (sounding) woman called and left a message on our home answering machine that she was calling to see what time she should deliver the pony and if we needed any tack for him because she wanted to get rid of some.

You can imagine what that type of voicemail does to an 8 year old who is newly obsessed with horses. ESPECIALLY since it was a few weeks before Christmas.

My poor parents said that to this day it broke their hearts to tell me the voicemail was a mistake. Luckily they bought me my own pony about 1 year later but I remember that voicemail clear as day.

The weirdest part was the woman left no name or phone number. We always wondered who she was. She sounded like she was about 100 years old. 

cwm

« Reply #2024 on: December 09, 2013, 03:01:10 PM »
I wonder where my music theory books went. When I moved from college, I packed ALL my books in a relatively few boxes. I never got rid of any of my music theory books, they were workbooks written by my professor, and they were amazing. Better than any textbook I've ever seen at explaining things. They can only be bought at the University bookstore, and she only has the bookstore print enough for her students. There's no buyback on them because they're workbooks, and finding an extra copy somewhere is going to be impossible.

I was really looking forward to using her examples to give some music theory lessons to my boyfriend. Oddly enough, I can find two copies of Theory III and one of Theory IV (there were 4 semesters required), but I can't find I or II at all. I guess I'll have to wait until I have money then go to find a good music theory textbook somewhere at the local bookstore.