Author Topic: Your own personal mysteries.  (Read 298531 times)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
Re: Your own personal mysteries.
« Reply #2055 on: December 21, 2013, 06:53:49 PM »
The mystery name in my genealogy is "Waitstill."  Female name, I think 18th C, but the info is on DH's computer and he's gone to bed.
OK, the mystery deepens.  I clearly remember this name, because it was so unusual.  But DH just checked his database, and it's not there.  He's searched for both the text strings "wait" and "still."  So what happened?  Why do I remember a name that isn't there? 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

Snooks

« Reply #2056 on: December 22, 2013, 03:04:26 PM »
There are a few television shows I loved as a kid. I've only been able to find out the name of one of them (and of course I then watched all the episodes again on YouTube), but the starring actor, Garth Napier-Jones, seems to have since disappeared completely off the face of the planet. I'll always wonder what became of him. I adored him when I was small.

Watt on Earth?  I loved that show.  I desperately wanted a cupboard like that above my bed, although thinking about it I have no idea why someone would build a giant cupboard half way up a bedroom wall.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2057 on: December 28, 2013, 11:56:09 AM »
Here is the personal mystery thread.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Pen^2

« Reply #2058 on: December 28, 2013, 03:37:26 PM »
There are a few television shows I loved as a kid. I've only been able to find out the name of one of them (and of course I then watched all the episodes again on YouTube), but the starring actor, Garth Napier-Jones, seems to have since disappeared completely off the face of the planet. I'll always wonder what became of him. I adored him when I was small.

Watt on Earth?  I loved that show.  I desperately wanted a cupboard like that above my bed, although thinking about it I have no idea why someone would build a giant cupboard half way up a bedroom wall.

Wow, you used to watch it also? I loved it! I watched it in Australia as a very small kid. You can't even buy dvds or anything for it from the BBC, sadly. It's a real pity. I'd just love to know what happened to the star, though. I know it was just a fun sci-fi kids series, but I was so young that it's actually one of the first shows I can lucidly recall. Plus Garth Napier-Jones (upon recent YouTube re-viewing) really did a wonderful job as the quirky Watt.

... I have a similar kind of cupboard above my bed. It's a storage cupboard. I never thought about the similarities before. Now I want to put a backwards-eared alien in a track suit in it.

Dr. F.

« Reply #2059 on: December 28, 2013, 05:51:45 PM »
Speaking of genealogy. What happened to my great-grandmother's parents?

She was orphaned early - by age 4 (1900), she's living with a family with the last name of Schuder (hers was Yordy), listed as their neice. Her brother was adopted by another part of the family.

So, evidently, her parents both died between 1896 and 1900. I haven't been able to find any records of either of them or what the possible connection was to the Schuders. My mother has vague memories of going to family reunions with a bunch of Schuders, but doesn't remember the details.

Snooks

« Reply #2060 on: December 29, 2013, 01:22:39 PM »

Wow, you used to watch it also? I loved it! I watched it in Australia as a very small kid. You can't even buy dvds or anything for it from the BBC, sadly. It's a real pity. I'd just love to know what happened to the star, though. I know it was just a fun sci-fi kids series, but I was so young that it's actually one of the first shows I can lucidly recall. Plus Garth Napier-Jones (upon recent YouTube re-viewing) really did a wonderful job as the quirky Watt.

... I have a similar kind of cupboard above my bed. It's a storage cupboard. I never thought about the similarities before. Now I want to put a backwards-eared alien in a track suit in it.

Yes, and now I'm jealous of your storage cupboard.  If you find a backwards eared alien wearing a deerstalker in it can I come round to play?

Yarnspinner

« Reply #2061 on: January 07, 2014, 09:56:33 AM »
Dear Dunkin Donuts:  I have a mystery you can solve.  What is the obsession your employees have with slapping that preprocessed egg patty on everything, even more so when you tell them "no egg"?  I used to think it was because the shop I went to had mostly non English speaking employees, but it happens where people speak perfect English and seem to know the word "no".  They can get the "sugar, no cream"  and "no sour cream", but when "no" is followed by "egg" it seems to indicate a need to relentlessly pile on the yellow stuff.  In fact, when I said "sausage and cheese, no egg"  what I got was "cheese and egg, no sausage."

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2062 on: January 07, 2014, 03:11:10 PM »
Speaking of genealogy. What happened to my great-grandmother's parents?

She was orphaned early - by age 4 (1900), she's living with a family with the last name of Schuder (hers was Yordy), listed as their neice. Her brother was adopted by another part of the family.

So, evidently, her parents both died between 1896 and 1900. I haven't been able to find any records of either of them or what the possible connection was to the Schuders. My mother has vague memories of going to family reunions with a bunch of Schuders, but doesn't remember the details.

I have two instances of family adoptions in my family.  In the most recent (1892), the kids were adopted by their mother's brother.  Check your g-g-grandmother's maiden name.  In the other (ca. 1860), the kids were taken in by their mother's sister and her husband and are listed as "niece" and "nephew" on the census.  In that case, they kept their family name but were listed under the uncle's family, which is how I spent eons searching for them :).

Snooks

« Reply #2063 on: January 07, 2014, 06:19:03 PM »
Dear Dunkin Donuts:  I have a mystery you can solve.  What is the obsession your employees have with slapping that preprocessed egg patty on everything, even more so when you tell them "no egg"?  I used to think it was because the shop I went to had mostly non English speaking employees, but it happens where people speak perfect English and seem to know the word "no".  They can get the "sugar, no cream"  and "no sour cream", but when "no" is followed by "egg" it seems to indicate a need to relentlessly pile on the yellow stuff.  In fact, when I said "sausage and cheese, no egg"  what I got was "cheese and egg, no sausage."

Maybe they think you're indecisive "Sausage and cheese.  No, egg".  No idea why they left the sausage off though  ;)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2064 on: January 07, 2014, 06:26:49 PM »

Maybe they think you're indecisive "Sausage and cheese.  No, egg".  No idea why they left the sausage off though  ;)
I know that if I want a hamburger at McD's that I can eat, I have to say "Ketchup only."  I do not say "No mustard or pickles," because the odds are even that someone will misunderstand and I'll get one with mustard and pickles but  no ketchup. Try it that way, without even mentioning egg.  Just "Sausage and cheese."
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

DaisyG

« Reply #2065 on: January 08, 2014, 07:20:12 AM »

Yes, and now I'm jealous of your storage cupboard.  If you find a backwards eared alien wearing a deerstalker in it can I come round to play?

I remember this show - I was 11 when it was on. I think it was one of my brother's favourites.

Do you remember 'The Girl from Tomorrow' which was on around the same time? Thinking about 'Watt on Earth' brought back memories of this girl who had telekinetic abilities through a 'headband' and I conjured up enough google-fu to find the title.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 07:28:25 AM by DaisyG »

drzim

« Reply #2066 on: January 08, 2014, 10:51:00 PM »

I know that if I want a hamburger at McD's that I can eat, I have to say "Ketchup only."  I do not say "No mustard or pickles," because the odds are even that someone will misunderstand and I'll get one with mustard and pickles but  no ketchup. Try it that way, without even mentioning egg.  Just "Sausage and cheese."

I always used to have the opposite problem with McDonald's.  I like a little bit of everything on the hamburger (mustard, ketchup, onion) but I absolutely cannot stand pickles.  One little slice of pickle will ruin the whole thing because the flavor just soaks into it.  Whenever I ordered "no pickles", they would leave off the pickles as ordered, but every single time the hamburger would be literally swimming in ketchup and mustard to the point it was inedible. I guess they figured that they had to somehow make up for the lost volume of condiments. 

I learned to just order a plain hamburger (they never messed that up) and add my own ketchup and mustard in reasonable amounts.

cwm

« Reply #2067 on: January 09, 2014, 05:58:43 PM »

I knew a woman who went to McD's one day and ordered a chicken sandwich, lettuce and may only. She drove away and lo and behold, on her bun there was mayo and lettuce only, no chicken.

Snooks

« Reply #2068 on: January 11, 2014, 07:45:17 AM »

I remember this show - I was 11 when it was on. I think it was one of my brother's favourites.

Do you remember 'The Girl from Tomorrow' which was on around the same time? Thinking about 'Watt on Earth' brought back memories of this girl who had telekinetic abilities through a 'headband' and I conjured up enough google-fu to find the title.

Yes. The headband had a stone in it if I remember correctly.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #2069 on: January 13, 2014, 11:59:27 PM »
My boyfriend was driving me home the other day. When we were at a stoplight, I noticed a really cool car next to us. It was a metallic gold color. I am really into cars and often snap pictures of ones I like. So I went digging in my bag for the camera. While I was doing that, I looked up for a second to tell BhaktaBoy "Check out the sweet car next to me", but instead noticed the gold car's door. It now had some weird swirly purple & teal glimmer / movement on it, like a mood ring.  ??? And when we started moving again, the color on the car "spread out" and it became completely purple. Then completely red. Then rust colored. I was sitting there thinking "Okay, I don't do drugs. I haven't drank any alcohol. I must be losing my dang mind here  :o" The only thing that comes up on Google for anything like this is a hoax video. What on earth...