Author Topic: Your own personal mysteries.  (Read 314559 times)

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
Re: Your own personal mysteries.
« Reply #2145 on: March 21, 2014, 09:08:32 AM »
1. Why have we gone from over 20 pairs of DS's socks to under 5 pairs of matching ones?
2. Where has my good make up gone? What have I done with it??
3. Why does 5 minutes snooze in bed suddenly transform into half an hour, whereas at work 5 minutes feels like an hour?
4. Why does food that is so horrifically bad for us suddenly become the one thing I want more than anything? Donuts. I am talking about donuts. I have had 1 donut.  There are 2 left.  I need someone to come and eat them.  Now.
5. Why, when the weather forecast tells me it is going to rain on a Saturday and I dress myself and DS accordingly, does the sun decide it is going to shine with all its mightiest power, yet if I dare remove coats/hats etc, the sun goes behind a conveniently-placed cloud, the wind starts up and the temperature plummets to somewhere around freezing?

Gah.
Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Eeep!

« Reply #2146 on: March 21, 2014, 12:33:50 PM »
Where did all my forks go? Seriously, I should have at least 16 and I think I have like 10.  And I feel like I have way more kids forks than I used to.  Did my grown-up forks get jealous of the fancy colored handles and convert?
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

gmatoy

« Reply #2147 on: March 21, 2014, 09:11:21 PM »
Where did all my forks go? Seriously, I should have at least 16 and I think I have like 10.  And I feel like I have way more kids forks than I used to.  Did my grown-up forks get jealous of the fancy colored handles and convert?

Ooh, the kid forks started saying, "Come on, you know you want to be our faith! We have grape juice instead of nasty tasting wine." And the adult forks who were abstaining all alcohol all converted!

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2148 on: March 21, 2014, 09:49:00 PM »
I had a mystery I think I've finally solved. Inexplicably, several times lately my bra has come unhooked. Different bras, different days, under different outfits. Not broken, just unhooked. And these things have three hooks. Right in the middle of the day sometimes, although I tend not to notice it right away (which was why the cause was mysterious). And I don't really do anything active, mainly computer work. Really bizarre.

Then, I realized that lately since my shoulders have been stiff (too much computer work), I've been stretching them a lot. It's hard to describe, but I'm sure everyone's done it, where you put your arms behind your back and compress your shoulder blades, then go back the other way. When done repeatedly, it creates slack in the band of the bra... and lets the hooks come undone.

It was a big relief to solve this. However, now I'm really paranoid about stretching during the day. ::)
~Lynn2000

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #2149 on: March 26, 2014, 10:24:39 AM »
Where did my apartment key card go to?

I was leaving for a trip several weeks ago, and decided to run *one last errand* (fatal, I know). I have to use the key card to get into and to exit the parking garage, and to enter the building by the front door.

I took the key card out of my purse, and opened the parking garage door to exit.

When I returned, no key card. I searched my purse. I searched the car. I went back to the store, searched all the aisles I had been in, and around where I'd parked. No key card.

I inveigled a very nice woman to loan me her card, so I could park my car, and get into my building, because the superintended was off duty, and the contact number he'd left said "What do you want me to do? I can't replace your card."

I managed to get everything done about 5 minutes before the taxi arrived to take me to the airport. But the key card has not returned, even though I've bought a new one (replacing things usually makes the lost ones reappear, but not this time).

Still have no idea where else it could have gotten itself. (The last time I lost one was in my apartment, when I dropped one and it disappeared. Turns out it had slid through the crack of my closed closet door, then under my largest suitcase.)
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

AuntieA

• Anything but your basic traditional auntie
« Reply #2150 on: April 13, 2014, 07:18:13 PM »
My household "spirits" are now helping me with pest control. I saw a mouse amble across the living room floor last month, so I immediately got out the traps, baited & set them. That evening two were killed, one after the other in the trap under the stairs. I had another kill, same trap, the next day. Since then - nothing, and no mouse scat anywhere either. Seems the spirits either dislike vermin as much as I do or are helping me out.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

stargazer

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2151 on: April 13, 2014, 09:38:02 PM »
My household "spirits" are now helping me with pest control. I saw a mouse amble across the living room floor last month, so I immediately got out the traps, baited & set them. That evening two were killed, one after the other in the trap under the stairs. I had another kill, same trap, the next day. Since then - nothing, and no mouse scat anywhere either. Seems the spirits either dislike vermin as much as I do or are helping me out.

Or the traps were just doing their job?  Not sure why you would attribute this to spirits helping out.

Cali.in.UK

« Reply #2152 on: April 14, 2014, 06:12:40 AM »
When I was 19 I was traveling with my friends and my ex-boyfriend. My ex and I split from the group for a week and after two days of being okay (we were still friends and pretty naive) things went south pretty quickly. We were staying in his parents' friends house in Barcelona in an old apartment. We were out one night and got in a really terrible fight, and I can't remember ever being so angry at someone. We had to be quiet because we were staying with a family so we went into our room and were going to sleep on opposite sides of the room but I was still so angry that I was seething and couldn't go to sleep. I had my back to him and as I was laying there, he somehow must have silently crept over to my side of the room because I heard a weird, hushed, unrecognizable voice in my ear say, "hey. hey you." I thought he was trying to be funny by using a weird voice, and since I was still so mad, I did not appreciate his attempt at a joke so I whirled around but my ex was on the other side of the room with his back towards me. I went from being completely angry to completely spooked. I went over to him and shook him and he seemed asleep.
We spoke about it numerous times since then and he's never changed his story. What was the creepiest part was the voice was literally in my ear, so it doesn't explain him being on the opposite side of the room. It still creeps me out!

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2153 on: April 14, 2014, 01:00:29 PM »

Or the traps were just doing their job?  Not sure why you would attribute this to spirits helping out.

As much as I like the paranormal, I have to agree (unless you were saying that tongue-in-cheek).

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #2154 on: April 14, 2014, 03:10:21 PM »

Because some mice get cunning about avoiding traps.

I've been told that peanut butter on a cotton ball or a half a pecan (walnut might work, too) or bacon make good bait because they are tempting enough to make most mice risk the trap for the treat.  The idea with the cotton ball or the peanut butter is that can't be snatched by the mouse & run off with as easily.  The snagged cotton fibers trip the trapwire or the mouse has to stay & lick the nut butter...leaving it in range of the trap's mechanisms longer.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2155 on: April 14, 2014, 03:30:52 PM »
We always used a raisin dipped in peanut butter.  The raisin gets pretty solidly stuck to the bait platform so they have to work to get it off.

And yes, mice can be very smart.  We had one trap stripped over and over before we finally caught the little %*&^*.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #2156 on: April 14, 2014, 04:48:18 PM »
The first winter I lived in my mobile home I found mouse droppings.  Unfortunately, it was the one time I let my dorky ex-BIL cook in my kitchen, and he pulled out the cutting board and it was covered.  Cue a lot of unnecessary talk about my "vermin-riddled dump" and threats from me to shove his barbecuing implements in his ear if he didn't shut up.  But that was the only time I ever saw any evidence of mice in my trailer.  In January of that year I had adopted a cat from the SPCA who liked to nap under the sink, and either she disposed of the mice (I never found any evidence of this) or the scent of cat chased the mice away.  Since this incident happened perhaps a month or so after I'd adopted her, I never saw any evidence of mice in that trailer ever again. 

AuntieA

• Anything but your basic traditional auntie
« Reply #2157 on: April 15, 2014, 01:21:18 AM »
Well, if the traps were doing their job, I would be finding dead mice in them, and that's not happening. Then there's the dead mouse I found the first evening lying on the front hall mat - nowhere near a trap! I almost stepped on it before I realized what that lump on the carpeting was.

The traps are still baited, too.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

stargazer

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2158 on: April 15, 2014, 10:12:53 AM »
I guess I am confused because your post said that they were killed in the traps.

squeakers

« Reply #2159 on: April 23, 2014, 04:11:47 PM »
Where are all my bras? I don't usually wear one but I have 3 for the times I do need them. 

When I wash them I usually set them in the sock and undie basket as they come out of the dryer (or if I remembered I hang them from a nail in the ceiling to dry). But sometimes one of the boys or DH will do a load and they just pile everything from the dryer into a basket.

If I only wore it for a few hours then I usually put it on top of the closet (it's a little cloth one) at the foot of our bed.

I guess I will need to either search under the bed or go through the clean clothes baskets in the basement (stuff no one seems to wear or use but they get washed again and again).
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin