Author Topic: Your own personal mysteries.  (Read 286340 times)

Fliss

• Australia - the land that time forgot.
Re: Your own personal mysteries.
« Reply #2160 on: April 24, 2014, 12:47:32 AM »

How, with two ravenous hounds in the house, did I wake up this morning to find the white of half a boiled egg next to my pillow? The yolk was nowhere to be found.

If the Demons have learnt to open the fridge, boil the water, and make their own eggs, I may have a problem.
Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #2161 on: April 24, 2014, 06:39:56 AM »

How, with two ravenous hounds in the house, did I wake up this morning to find the white of half a boiled egg next to my pillow? The yolk was nowhere to be found.

If the Demons have learnt to open the fridge, boil the water, and make their own eggs, I may have a problem.

Were there Easter Egg Hunts in your area?  Could be a leftover egg someone didn't find this weekend.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Snooks

« Reply #2162 on: April 24, 2014, 06:04:29 PM »

At least it sounds like they're tidying up after themselves.

Fliss

« Reply #2163 on: April 24, 2014, 10:48:28 PM »

Were there Easter Egg Hunts in your area?  Could be a leftover egg someone didn't find this weekend.

They never leave the yard unattended, certainly not at night. And we don't do easter, so no eggs to find.

We think we've solved it. The PIC gave them an egg each before he went to bed, and Max might have decided to bring the half with him for a pre-dawn snack. He's not allowed to, but the PIC says he might not have realised he hadn't eaten it. But why he only ate half and left the white ungobbled is out of character.
Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

GrammarNerd

« Reply #2164 on: April 24, 2014, 11:54:05 PM »
When my oldest son was a toddler, I gave him a bottle (baby bottle, when still drank out of those) of milk when we were at my mother's house for the night.  It was a bigger bottle, like the 9 oz kind.  Filled up the thing.  He took it and toddled off.  Shortly after that, we looked for the bottle and couldn't find it.   Looked all over, and could NOT find it.

He's 14 now, and we NEVER found that bottle.

And I asked my mother later that week if she found the bottle.  Nope, she never did.  And yes, we checked the garbage.  I thought for sure we'd find it at some point, because hey, it was milk, and it would obviously start smelling pretty soon if it was left out.  But no, we never found it.  My mother has since passed away, and we cleaned out her house to sell it.  Never found that bottle.  And it still bugs me.

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2165 on: April 25, 2014, 01:48:04 AM »
I know it's not such a mystery, but how does a 14 year old boy, 5'9, blow through the fridge like Godzilla and lose weight?  Where does it go?  And how is he getting any nourishment, the atmosphere?

(Yep, this is picky eater I wrote about earlier.  A year ago, he ate maybe five foods.  Now, he's still a picky eater: If it's food, he picks it  ;D). 

ETA: Doctor says he's doing great, no worries.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 01:51:42 AM by guihong »

AuntieA

• Anything but your basic traditional auntie
« Reply #2166 on: April 25, 2014, 03:19:01 AM »
stargazer, I had forgotten about the dead singleton on the hall runner when I initially posted. Anyway, I checked the traps the other day, and one trap was missing! Then all evening I heard tapping & rattling in the storage area under the stairs, which is packed with boxes - something was caught by (probably) the tail.* Noises had stopped by the next morning, but the trap has not re-appeared. And, while searching for the missing trap, I found the entry point and I am now plugging it up with steel wool.

*because if it was caught by a paw/leg, it would have screeched to high heaven, trust me.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2167 on: April 25, 2014, 04:18:18 PM »

...   We think we've solved it. The PIC gave them an egg each before he went to bed, and Max might have decided to bring the half with him for a pre-dawn snack. He's not allowed to, but the PIC says he might not have realised he hadn't eaten it. But why he only ate half and left the white ungobbled is out of character.

No ... he saved half and brought it to you to share it with you!  What a sweet dog!   ;)

Ohjustlovely

• Myspace
« Reply #2168 on: April 25, 2014, 06:09:39 PM »
Excuse me: what is PIC?

Thanks.

Fliss

« Reply #2169 on: April 25, 2014, 09:34:51 PM »
Excuse me: what is PIC?

Thanks.

Partner In Crime.

TeamBhakta

« Reply #2170 on: April 26, 2014, 10:29:41 PM »
When my oldest son was a toddler, I gave him a bottle (baby bottle, when still drank out of those) of milk when we were at my mother's house for the night.  It was a bigger bottle, like the 9 oz kind.  Filled up the thing.  He took it and toddled off.  Shortly after that, we looked for the bottle and couldn't find it.   Looked all over, and could NOT find it.

And I asked my mother later that week if she found the bottle.  Nope, she never did.  And yes, we checked the garbage.  I thought for sure we'd find it at some point, because hey, it was milk, and it would obviously start smelling pretty soon if it was left out.  But no, we never found it.  My mother has since passed away, and we cleaned out her house to sell it.  Never found that bottle.  And it still bugs me.

This is my theory
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Girl_Lost_%28The_Twilight_Zone%29

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #2171 on: April 27, 2014, 12:23:29 AM »
Why the heck did I think I heard my co - worker's very distinctive voice call my name when he was too far away to call to me other than by walkie - talkie, and he didn't have one?
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2172 on: April 27, 2014, 01:48:19 AM »

This is my theory
My mother said that episode scared her so much that she had to go and check to make sure her children were all in their beds where they were supposed to be!

My current mystery:  DH and I came home from a trip to see my family last month and found a pair of prescription glasses on the front doorstep.  No idea how they got there or who they belong to.  They certainly don't belong to us, because our glasses don't leave our faces except in bed; they don't belong to any of our children or grandchildren, nor any of the SCA people using our backyard archery range while we were gone.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Eeep!

« Reply #2173 on: April 27, 2014, 10:46:44 AM »

This is my theory
My mother said that episode scared her so much that she had to go and check to make sure her children were all in their beds where they were supposed to be!

My current mystery:  DH and I came home from a trip to see my family last month and found a pair of prescription glasses on the front doorstep.  No idea how they got there or who they belong to.  They certainly don't belong to us, because our glasses don't leave our faces except in bed; they don't belong to any of our children or grandchildren, nor any of the SCA people using our backyard archery range while we were gone.

Regarding this glasses, I'm betting someone found them on the sidewalk and out them there hoping they belonged to someone in your house.
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

Bethczar

« Reply #2174 on: April 27, 2014, 07:34:32 PM »
Our personal mystery is…..Ghost Kitteh!

We just moved into our new house in September.  About 2 weeks later, when I was going to sleep, I noticed that it felt like my cat was walking around on the bed.  Problem was, she wasn’t in the room.  And on the rare occasions when we do let her sleep on the bed, she doesn’t ever move, she just lays there.

So one night DH and I actually went to bed at the same time, something that rarely happens.  And it felt like Ridley was walking around.  I asked DH, “Do you feel that?  I thought Ridley wasn’t in the room.” 

A couple minutes later, DH groggily says, “Oh.My.God, this whole time I thought I was nuts.   You really feel it too?!?!  It totally feels like she’s walking around, and I know for a fact that she’s sleeping in her tree right now.” 

So we’re not nuts (well, that can be proven) and we are now convinced that we have a ghost cat.  I think we should name her Bernice.

So that's where Patches is!

My brother, as an adult, used to sleep in the basement. He said that from time to time it would feel like one of the cats was walking around on his bed or sleeping at the end of it. But he would never see a cat there when he looked. He named the ghost cat Patches, and she intermittently visited him until our family moved away. He will be glad to know she found a nice new home.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 07:45:58 PM by Bethczar »