Author Topic: Co-workers Rudeness  (Read 7447 times)

MayHug

Co-workers Rudeness
« on: May 18, 2010, 10:01:46 PM »
My daughter used the complete silence tactic today but I think it mostly because she was dumbstruck.

Background:
In Jan of 2008, my daughter delivered her little girl at 18 weeks. Unfortunately little Gabriella was too early to live at birth. Since then they have tried unsuccessfully to get pregnant.  Until now! She is 8 weeks pregnant!!!
End BG

Daughter has been really sick, ended up in the ER last week with dehydration. The doctor is very concerned because she is losing weight. While at work today ( she is a pre-school teacher) her boss was asking how she was feeling and when her due date was. Her co-teacher looked at them both and said " I wouldn't be worrying too much about due date until you're sure this one is going to stick" My daughter said they both looked at her, didnt say a word, then turned back to their conversation. The co-teacher walked out of the room.

(She's lucky I live a few states away. I don't think I would have kept silent)

Minmom3

Re: Co-workers Rudeness
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 12:17:53 AM »
Wow.  What a breathtakingly ugly thing to say.....  That's just shocking.  Hopefully somebody pulled her aside a little later and told her that was a horrible thing to say and she owes your daughter a huge apology.  Huge, with groveling.  Or, at the very least, she'd best keep her mouth shut if that's all the better she can come up with.
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

Viscountess

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 12:23:00 AM »
The co-teacher definitely owes your daughter an apology.  That comment was uncalled for.  Best wishes for your daughter!
"If you don't like something, then change it.  If you can't change it, then change your attitude towards it."

JacklynHyde

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 05:33:54 PM »
Wow.  Just... wow.   :o

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 05:41:35 PM »

I hope it was an incident of not thinking before speaking, and not something more. People really can be that clueless.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

JonGirl

• I'm a JonGirl forever.
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBAa6CvY-TQ
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 07:41:12 AM »

That is disgraceful.  >:(
Good luck to your daughter.
Stewart/Colbert '16

faithlessone

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 10:27:07 AM »
I'm not often speechless, but that... Dear Lord that's a horrific thing to say to a person! I also generally detest violence, but I'd advocate a short, sharp slap for that.

ETA: I really hope your daughter wasn't too hurt by it, and she and the baby continue to be okay.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 10:29:45 AM by faithlessone »

Shortcake

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2010, 05:45:54 PM »

I can't believe someone would say something so cruel to another person!  I wouldn't even know how to respond. Silence was probably the best response. Since the boss was there, I hope she will take the co-teacher aside and talk to her about sensitivity and thinking before *she speaks. IMO someone who is working with small children and their parents should have more tact and sensitivity.

I hope things turn out well for your daughter.

* I am assuming these people are all females because of the pregancy discussion and the fact they are pre-school teachers. That might be an interesting assumption on my part. :)
"Carry out a random act of kindness, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you."  Princess Diana

Amava

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2010, 07:44:22 AM »
I *hope* that what she really meant to say was:
"I remember you have lost a child and I really feel for you. I do hope that this pregnancy will work out better."
and that she just phrased it in an awfully clumsy way.

I also hope that she realised, afterwards, that it was really not a good idea to bring this up and especially not in such a blunt and hurtful way, and that she learns from it.

There's always hope. But, by golly, if I had been in your daughter's shoes, I would have had such trouble not to smack her right in the face or yell at her.

kudeebee

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2010, 10:14:50 PM »
What a horrible thing to say.  I hope that she didn't mean it as it came out.  Sometimes people mean to say something and it comes out totally wrong. I think your daughter handled it gracefully.  Hopefully it made the coworker think about how she phrased her statement.

Spoder

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2010, 11:11:28 AM »
 :o

That goes far, far beyond rude. As a PP put it, 'breathtakingly ugly' is a fair description.

I hope that the boss said something to the co-teacher afterwards. I mean, there's slip of the tongue, but how could your brain-to-mouth filter be *that* bad??

Warm happy thoughts going your daughter's way.  :)

Yankee-Belle

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2010, 04:39:46 PM »
I can never understand how people could be so thoughtless, so careless and unfeeling.  :(

I hope your daughter is feeling better and am sending warm thoughts to her.

holly firestorm

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2010, 07:21:35 PM »
Are they enemies or is the coworker totally lacking in social skills?! (Not that I am justifying it either way, of course.  Just curious, well, perplexed or astounded would be more accurate.)

How are your daughter and grandbaby doing, by the way?

MayHug

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2010, 07:42:30 PM »
My daughter is doing ok. She has about 9 weeks left. Unfortunately she had to leave that job due to being so sick with the pregnancy.

She thought the co-worker was a friend. Didn't seem to have any problems with her until this incident.

Thank you for your continued good thoughts and prayers. :-)

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2010, 08:07:18 PM »
EeeEp!  What a horrible thing to say!