News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• July 03, 2015, 05:03:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: To World Cup Soccer Visitors To My Country  (Read 5487 times)

T'Mar of Vulcan

• the lost city of Atlantis, the planet Tencton and the moon Pandora!
  • Super Hero!
  • Star Trek will always rule
    • The Flag Waver
To World Cup Soccer Visitors To My Country
« on: May 22, 2010, 01:09:12 AM »
I hope this is the right folder for this. If not, mods, please move it somewhere appropriate.

To World Cup Soccer Visitors To My Country:

Welcome to South Africa. Here are some tips for you about our country and culture.

1. If someone says "howzit" to you, it's a greeting. You can reply, "Fine", but it's not necessary. It basically means "hello".
2. "Is it?" pronounced "izzit?" is not really a question. It's what someone says when they have nothing of value to contribute to the conversation. For example, "In America football and soccer are not the same thing." "Izzit?"  ;D
3. A "robot" is a traffic light. Everybody uses it. Please don't laugh or make fun.
4. Yes, you can go to Soweto if you want to. Nobody will care.
5. If you put your knife and fork together in the middle of the plate at a restaurant, this is a sign to the waitron that you have finished. They will take your plate away. So until you're finished, leave them on opposite sides of the plate. In that vein, there are no free coffee refills (unless the menu says "bottomless coffee").
6. You WILL learn some Afrikaans and probably Zulu while you're here. Trust me.  ;D (That's not an order; it's a fact because most of us use Afrikaans and Zulu words in our everyday speech.)
7. Definitely try the Rooibos tea. It's a herb tea that is really good for you. Lots of people drink it. It's even used to bath children with exzema in.
8. French fries are called "chips" here. People still like to eat "slap chips", often with a nice piece of fried fish. "The "slap" part is pronounced "slup" and is the Afrikaans word for "soft". The term comes from the habit of anointing chips with lots of vinegar which makes them go slap and which, of course, is the only way to eat them when you are young enough not to be bothered by indigestion or unduly concerned about things like cholesterol."
9. "Cookies" are called "biscuits" in S.A. Though people will know what you mean if you talk about cookies.
10. Do yourself a favour and have some Indian food while you are here. Even if you only try a samoosa. They are small three-cornered, deep-fried curried pies and are delicious. Often they are labelled "halaal" but you can still eat them.
11. A "soda" in S.A. is a "cold drink", like Coke, Fanta, Sprite, etc. We do not have flavoured Coke or Dr Pepper, which saddens me greatly. (Cherry Coke is my favourite!) So if someone says, "You want some cold drink?" they are asking what kind of carbonated beverage you would like.
12. Do not be lulled into a false sense of security because it's winter - if you go into the sun for more than ten minutes, you will get sunburnt. Don't think you can lie in the sun for an hour and get a nice tan. You will get horribly burnt. Like the old song said, WEAR SUNSCREEN.

I'll leave it to other S.Africans to add things.

The only Vulcan from South Africa! :)

M-theory

• cybernetic loving
  • Super Hero!
Re: To World Cup Soccer Visitors To My Country
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 01:14:12 AM »
13. Watch out for prawns.

Re: #10. Are people actually put off by stuff labeled halaal? I mean, have you actually encountered this phenomenon? If so, I weep for our species.

faithlessone

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 04:54:34 AM »
Re: #10. Are people actually put off by stuff labeled halaal? I mean, have you actually encountered this phenomenon? If so, I weep for our species.

I know a few people who weren't sure that they were allowed halal or kosher stuff if they aren't of that religion.

M-theory

• cybernetic loving
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 05:02:51 AM »

I know a few people who weren't sure that they were allowed halal or kosher stuff if they aren't of that religion.

I have to laugh, because I'm told that 80% of kosher food is actually purchased by non-Jews. Maybe if everyone else thought it was sacrosanct they'd lower the price and I could afford to eat meat more than once a month.

Sorry for the threadjack, T'Mar!

T'Mar of Vulcan

• Super Hero!
    • The Flag Waver
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 12:49:19 PM »
13. Watch out for prawns.

Bwahahahaaa!!!

Actually, at first I thought you were referencing the 1995 Rugby World Cup. The day we (S.A.) played New Zealand, the NZ team complained that "we had poisoned them" with bad seafood. Turns out they'd ordered huge amounts of prawns and other seafood the night before the game. Dudes, you ordered seafood in Johannesburg. It's 600k's from the sea. And yes, we won that game.

Yes, some people are worried about that. Some fundamentalist types I know won't eat anything if it has the halaal symbol on it. However, from a religious Christian point of view, it's fine. In one of the epistles of Paul he says it's okay to eat that kind of food (or at least that's the inference you can draw from what he wrote). I often go by a place called Delhi Delicious that sells halaal pies - yummy!!!

ccpb1214

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 01:38:09 PM »

I have to laugh, because I'm told that 80% of kosher food is actually purchased by non-Jews. Maybe if everyone else thought it was sacrosanct they'd lower the price and I could afford to eat meat more than once a month.

Sorry for the threadjack, T'Mar!

I've heard that the kosher labelling is helpful for those with dairy allergies.

Sorry! I'm done hijacking now!

iradney

• DoSWMBO
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 04:01:56 AM »
14. Those minibusses are public transport AND roller coaster rides all in one!
15. Biltong is awesome. You should try it.
16. So is braaing!
It is not who is right, but what is right, that is of importance.
-Thomas Huxley

Jolie_kitten

• Cute little thing enjoying life
  • Illegitimi non carborundum
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2010, 06:55:19 AM »
7. Definitely try the Rooibos tea. It's a herb tea that is really good for you. Lots of people drink i

I'm a HUGE fan of vanilla-flavored rooibos tea. :)
Where there is cake there is hope. And there is always cake ;)

veryfluffy

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2010, 07:10:19 AM »

Halal and kosher meat comes from animals which are not unconscious at the time of slaughter -- they are killed by having their throats slit while conscious. Some people object to this.

T'Mar of Vulcan

• Super Hero!
    • The Flag Waver
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2010, 07:17:35 AM »
Halal and kosher meat comes from animals which are not unconscious at the time of slaughter -- they are killed by having their throats slit while conscious. Some people object to this.

Also, some people think that halaal and kosher food has blessings said over it by people from Islam/Judaism, and they think that Christians should not eat such food. However, the Bible (one of Paul's epistles; can't remember which; can look it up if anyone truly wants that level of detail) does not prohibit one from eating such food. There are also different "levels" of halaal... a friend of mine, for example, will only eat one type of halaal food because it's the only one that is "correct".

My view on food is I'll eat anything that doesn't eat me first.  ;D

Ferrets

• "Rugby referees are like bees. They communicate through interpretative dance movements."
  • Dych chi'n moyn dishgled?
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2010, 07:31:51 AM »
10. Do yourself a favour and have some Indian food while you are here. Even if you only try a samoosa. They are small three-cornered, deep-fried curried pies and are delicious.

Samosas = ambrosia. ;D Sitting at my desk tucking into one at this very minute, as it happens.

shygirl

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2010, 04:45:39 PM »
3. A "robot" is a traffic light. Everybody uses it. Please don't laugh or make fun.

I remember the first time my DH referred to the "robots".

I think he was giving me directions or something, and said "turn at the robots".  I just stared at him, like he was crazy.  (Which he is, most of the time, actually.)  He just stared back at me, like I was crazy.  Finally, I'm like "robots?  There are no robots wandering around town... unless something new is going on, and I haven't gotten the memo yet"

Since back then (and still even now) DH assumed that I have the ability to read his mind and automatically understand whatever he says, it took me a looooong time to figure out that he was referring to the stoplights.

robots.

It makes me laugh now, but at the time, I was picturing a robot standing in the middle of the road and directing traffic.

(I've now typed robot so many types, it doesn't seem like a real word anymore.)

ETA:  DH is from Zimbabwe, a neighbor to South Africa.  But we live in the US now.

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2010, 06:17:28 AM »
ETA:  DH is from Zimbabwe, a neighbor to South Africa.  But we live in the US now.
I grew up in Zimbabwe, but now live in SA, and yes, "robot" means the same in both countries.

But I've found a term that only seems to exist in Zimbabwe: "Stickystuff". The phrase means nothing to most South Africans, they say "Prestik" (I think Americans call it "sticky putty"). 20 years after I've left Zimbabwe and I still call it "stickystuff" even if nobody in SA knows what I'm talking about.   :P
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2010, 07:35:29 AM »
I wonder if rooibos tea in south africa tastes different than rooibos here (in the US).  My friend brought me over tea from England when she was there, and while I normally drink it straight I actually added milk to it because it was so strong.  I've always wondered that!  (are the herbs different, i mean, like specific to SA as opposed to the US.  or maybe its all imported from there, i don't know) I wish there was some way to do a tea-exchange, like penpals, only you switch teas from other countries with people.

According to Wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rooibos
"Rooibos is grown only in a small area in the region of the Western Cape province".

"Rooibos grades are largely related to the percentage "needle" or leaf to stem content in the mix. A higher leaf content will result in a darker liquor, richer flavour and less "dusty" aftertaste. The high grade rooibos is exported and does not reach local markets, with major consumers being EU, particularly Germany, where it is used in creating flavoured blends for loose leaf tea markets. In development within South Africa are a small number of specialty tea companies producing similar blends."

So yes, it seems you overseas folk get the good stuff.  :(
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

CG

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2010, 01:08:51 PM »
I've heard that the kosher labelling is helpful for those with dairy allergies.

Sorry! I'm done hijacking now!

It's also helpful for those with wheat issues.  If something is marked Kosher for Passover, we just have to make sure it does not have matzo in it instead of the usual 200-item list of things we can't eat. (I'm exaggerating about 200 items. Maybe)

I got excited when I was up in NJ - I realized that I could walk into a Kosher restaurant (I'd never seen one in Texas) and ask for something that would be Kosher for Passover with no matzo, and they knew exactly what I could and could not eat.