Hostesses With The Mostest > The Cookbook Project

Easy Chili and Cheater Chili

I had a request again to bring my chili to a potluck so I thought I would post the recipe since it is good enough to get requests.  I am always kind of surprised by the requests because as you can see it is very much a semi-homemade recipe.

Easy Chili

3 pounds ground beef or turkey
3 cans seasoned beans (can be any 3 types but needs to be 3 different types of beans)
1 can diced tomatoes and green chillies (2 cans if you prefer you chili to have more liquid 1 can makes a thick chili)
1 bottle chili sauce (usually this will be near the cocktail sauce at the store)
1 small can diced green chilies
2 packages chili seasoning any brand

Brown meat in a large frying pan ( optional: season to taste using whatever seasonings you would use if you were making hamburgers.)
While the meat is browning mix all of the other ingredients in a large crockpot.  Stir in the meat and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 2-3 hours.

This makes about 5-5 1/2 quarts of chili
Can be served with shredded cheese, tortilla chips, chopped onions, sour cream, etc. to make a nicer selection if desired.

Cheater Chili
This is for those days when you need a large meal for some reason but just don't have the time to do anything more than open some cans.  Again I am always surprised at the complements I get when I make this because really I didn't do much at all (or in this case anything really)

In your slowcooker or a large pan on the stove mix enough cans of different brand canned chili to feed your group.  you will be amazed at the difference mixing 3-4 different brand names of canned chili will make to the final product but it makes enough difference to the flavor that it no longer tastes like canned chili.

Thank you! We love chili! ;D

[0] Message Index

Go to full version