Author Topic: You're going to kill it!  (Read 3945 times)

boxy

You're going to kill it!
« on: May 23, 2010, 03:28:07 PM »
I would like to know if I could have handled this situation better:

I was hard pruning a massively overgrown holly bush (basically cutting it down by half to three quarters) in my front yard.  An elderly woman drove up, rolled down her window and hollered, "You're going to kill that holly!!!"

Shocked, I replied, "I hope so!" and went back to pruning.

Should I have reminded her that I'm a professional landscaper (yes, we who are in the business often allow things in our own yards to become overgrown)? 

Amava

Re: You're going to kill it!
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 03:32:33 PM »
Hahaha, perfect!
But I think it's idle hope. I have holly too, and if you trim it right down to the ground with a hacksaw, a few months later it's all over the place again.

boxy

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 03:40:16 PM »
Absolutely!  Holly's are very difficult to kill - something I wasn't trying to do.  I just wanted to get it cut back to a more manageable size.  What bothered me was some woman, without benefit of knowing my plan, stopped to deride what was intended to enhance the yard!  I really wanted to tell her to mind her own business or at least ask me what I was doing (in a conversational tone) rather than pulling up and shouting like she did.

taxing

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 04:12:35 PM »
I think you did well, I'm sure some people would have replied more along the lines of "I'll kill you if you don't mind your own business!"

veryfluffy

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 05:46:08 AM »
At first I was wondering why this was in the "I'm afraid that won't be possible" section. And then I realised it's because it is almost impossible to kill a holly. So that is what you should have replied:

"You're going to kill that holly!"
"I'm afraid that won't be possible, but I am doing my best!"

Delia DeLyons

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 08:16:39 AM »
Haha... we had a last minute freeze threat where I'm at, and I had already had my flowers in for about a week at the time (Mother's Day weekend).  My BF, brother and I were scrambling around to throw tarps over everything and get it staked down to try and provide some protection for my little plants against the impending frost.  I was in the front of the house using rocks to weigh down some tablecloths over a row of petunias when a neighbor lady walking by with her dog says "What are you DOING?" (no greeting, no wave, nothing... just the indignant questioning of my actions)  I said "Oh, I am trying to protect my flowers from the frost they're calling for."  And without any further comment, she just kept walking... I could imagine the eye roll she was giving me as she moseyed away...

But really, I thought it was a bit rude of her... I mean... wouldn't you think in most situations that whatever a person is doing in their own yard - pruning, covering up flowers, whatever - that they have a good reason for it and probably know what they are doing?  At the very least, how hard is it to let someone's own business remain that way?  

« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 10:58:45 AM by Scarlet Begonias »
Once in a while you get your delight, in the strangest of faces if you look at it right...

Minmom3

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 01:23:54 PM »
The tone she used sounds odd, at the least!  When I asked my neighbor what she was doing, the first time I saw her covering her tender plants,  I'm pretty sure my tone was more "what are you doing?" because I wasn't remotely angry, I was mightily curious as to why she was carefully laying out ratty old towels and pillowcases and etc. over the shrubs and flowers by her house.  This was the first time in a long time I'd lived in a house, rather than an apartment, so the first time I saw anybody do such a  thing.  And now I'm back in an apartment, and I'm pretty sure my neighbors think I'm nuts when I drape old sheets over my stuff if a frost is imminent, but they just roll their eyes at me, they don't make annoyed comments...
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

Delia DeLyons

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 01:43:43 PM »
I don't know this particular neighbor very well, though her husband and my bf are quite chummy, always stopping their cars to have a quick chat in passing - I DO recall that on that particular day, well, my eyesight is not very good at a distance and I admit, when she first commented, I didn't immediately recognize her... actually, even as she walked off, I still didn't know it was her.  It was only when I saw the same dog running around in their yard some days later that I had that "Oh THAT'S who that was!" moment... maybe she feels more familiar with me than I happen to feel and she expected me to joke with her or something in response to her question, but me, unaware I knew who was speaking to me, just made the polite, direct answer...

As for her walking away without another word... maybe it was because I spoke to her like I didn't know who she was (at the time, I didn't!) and it offended her??  I don't know... I've had perfectly pleasant exchanges with her before... and even so, if she knew it was me (I was after all, in front of my home) then why was her tone rude from the get go?  I could spend all afternoon contemplating why people do the things they do... but I'd have to split my paycheck with E-Hell :-)

ETA:  Typos
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 01:48:35 PM by Scarlet Begonias »
Once in a while you get your delight, in the strangest of faces if you look at it right...