News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• September 25, 2016, 10:52:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Kids say the funniest things  (Read 345068 times)

Browyn

Re: Kids say the funniest things
« Reply #1635 on: September 09, 2016, 09:14:58 AM »
A memory from the days when my daughter started losing her milk teeth and developed this really cute lisp:
Em: 'Mummy, can I have the scissors?'
Me: 'Sure... wait a minute, you didn't lisp. Does that mean you have been lisping all this time just to make me laugh?'
Em, with her best innocent face: 'No...th?'

To be fair to her, she might have just gotten used to the missing teeth.  When my braces came off and I got a retainer, I had a lisp for about a week until I got used to it.

PaintingPastelPrincess

• She of 3 P's
« Reply #1636 on: September 10, 2016, 04:54:55 PM »
At a family event recently, my cousin's daughter (who I've known and see frequently), comes over to the table where I was at, and goes "Hi, I'm Cammien, I'm 10, next year in in 2nd grade!" Then she scampered off, no time for additional comments.

Poor kid. I bet she was being asked all night.  ;D

A bit off topic, but are 't most kids heading into second grade 7? I was 10 when I started sixth grade!

My son just started 6th grade and he is 11 (November birthday so one of the older kids). Unless she's been held back I would expect a second grader to be 7/8 or a 10 year old to be 5th grade at least.

Typo by me, sorry! She is in 4th grade. She has an August birthday. I think she could have started a year sooner but my cousin decided to wait a year.

lilfox

« Reply #1637 on: September 12, 2016, 03:21:49 PM »
My DD (6) has developed selective hearing and it's already getting her in trouble in class, which isn't great considering school started last week.  It's also getting her in trouble at home.  She is very bright and has no delays or issues that would prohibit her from focusing and paying attention, as she is able to when she chooses to.

So yesterday, I had a conversation with her about her poor listening skills.  Keep in mind she made eye contact with me the entire time.

Me:  "DD, you really need to work on your ability to listen and follow directions.  Daddy and I are going to start having you repeat back everything we say, maybe several times, to make sure you heard what we said."
DD: <nods, wide eyes staring at me>
Me:  "Okay, what did I just say?"
DD: "I don't know"
Me:  <head explodes>

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #1638 on: September 13, 2016, 01:17:39 AM »
More a 'kids do the funniest things' rather than 'say'...

A friend's daughter had her fourth birthday party on the weekend. The kids' part of it was held at a Build-a-Bear (side note: there's a Build-a-Bear in Canberra?! Awesome! *ahem* anyway...) and then the festivities moved to a muffin shop where some adult friends without children (the Good Ethnic Boy and I) joined in. So there we all were, eating rainbow cake, with four tiny girls clutching their new bears. Three of the bears had sparkly multicoloured fur, pink tutus or princess dresses, and tiaras.

The fourth bear had bright pink fur and was wearing a Darth Vader outfit, complete with mask. ;D

(I didn't witness it myself, but I'm reliably informed that the father of the 3yo girl in question recently did the whole deep breathy voice thing and informed her that "Luke Rose... I am your father!" and she responded with a huge grin and dramatic "Noooooooooooo~~~!!!" She's clearly being raised right. >:D)
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Mal

« Reply #1639 on: September 13, 2016, 04:32:04 AM »
My 3-year-old godson, to his dad, at bedtime:
"I am parsley! I'll bite your leg!"

magicdomino

« Reply #1640 on: September 13, 2016, 11:42:30 AM »
More a 'kids do the funniest things' rather than 'say'...

A friend's daughter had her fourth birthday party on the weekend. The kids' part of it was held at a Build-a-Bear (side note: there's a Build-a-Bear in Canberra?! Awesome! *ahem* anyway...) and then the festivities moved to a muffin shop where some adult friends without children (the Good Ethnic Boy and I) joined in. So there we all were, eating rainbow cake, with four tiny girls clutching their new bears. Three of the bears had sparkly multicoloured fur, pink tutus or princess dresses, and tiaras.

The fourth bear had bright pink fur and was wearing a Darth Vader outfit, complete with mask. ;D

(I didn't witness it myself, but I'm reliably informed that the father of the 3yo girl in question recently did the whole deep breathy voice thing and informed her that "Luke Rose... I am your father!" and she responded with a huge grin and dramatic "Noooooooooooo~~~!!!" She's clearly being raised right. >:D)

I like this kid.   :)

lilfox

« Reply #1641 on: September 13, 2016, 04:44:45 PM »
We'd been trying for a few weeks to convince DS (2) that he needs a haircut.  He was saying "No!" for a while, but then changed it to "Later, later!"  Since that sounded promising, we said okay, we'll cut it later.

After a few weeks of that, at dinner DH says to DS, "It's time for a haircut, so after dinner let's get you set up and cut your hair."  DS says "Later, later!"  I said, "You said that before and now it is later."  DS says "Later means 'don't want to.'"

(Yes, he got his haircut.   :D )

lilfox

« Reply #1642 on: September 16, 2016, 02:57:38 PM »
Another from DS.  When I went to pick him up from daycare, his teacher was on the playground with them and said she had to show me something.  There's an area toward the back that's just bare dirt and the kids love digging in it.  She said DS was particularly dedicated to one spot and had dug a sizable and relatively deep hole, which she pointed out to me.  She had asked why he was digging the hole, what would he put in there, and he said "Look!" and proceeded to stick his face right in the hole.

Slartibartfast

• Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #1643 on: September 17, 2016, 05:56:41 PM »
4yo: Stories end.

me: Yes they do.

4yo: Potatoes don't end.

me: . . .

4yo: That's because potatoes aren't stories.

[Pretty sure there's a fallacy in there somewhere . . .]

MSwoman

« Reply #1644 on: September 18, 2016, 10:07:48 PM »
My youngest son has recently asked to be called "Bat". Ok, but why?

His friend Cooper gave him that nickname, in exchange for his own nickname.

Cooper wants to be called "Super-Cooper".

I can't argue. It's kind of cool. So now "Bat" calls him "Super-Cooper," and Cooper calls Matt "Bat."

Gyburc

« Reply #1645 on: September 19, 2016, 10:00:01 AM »
Little G has started making up words. It gets a bit confusing, because he tends to ask me questions about things he has just made up:

LG: 'Mummy, what's a baggyups?'
Me: 'I don't know, LittleG, can you tell me?'
LG: 'I don't know...'
Me: (searching for enlightenment) 'Are you a baggyups?'
LG: 'No.' (Looks at me as if I am infinitely stupid.)

When you look into the photocopier, the photocopier also looks into you

Mal

« Reply #1646 on: September 20, 2016, 05:25:43 AM »

I want to live in your kid's world of neverending potatoes. I would be so happy there.  ;D

Slartibartfast

• Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #1647 on: September 20, 2016, 12:48:29 PM »

I want to live in your kid's world of neverending potatoes. I would be so happy there.  ;D

Would have made "The Martian" a very different story, that's for sure  :P

Mal

« Reply #1648 on: September 21, 2016, 03:52:42 AM »

Would have made "The Martian" a very different story, that's for sure  :P

But unlike the potatoes in the story, the story itself would have ended, because it is a story!