News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• March 31, 2015, 08:01:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: You know you live in a Cold Climate...  (Read 1957 times)

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
Re: You know you live in a Cold Climate...
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2015, 11:09:21 PM »
I'd rather have the brutal cold I experienced in Bangor, Maine than the not-so-cold ice storms I lived through in Greenville, North Carolina.  When snow is really cold you can walk or drive in it.  No one can walk or drive on ice. 

Also, Bangor has snow plows.  Last I knew Greenville had one pick up truck with a plow blade to serve the whole county.   

This is true, at -30C the roads are sticky and traction is great. It is the sloppy -5 to plus 1 stuff that causes the most accidents.

By the way, you know you live in a winter climate when it is illegal to operate a vehicle on the highways without winter tires from October to April.

Really? Wow. It is cold here (-39 with the wind chill last week) but I don't think summer tires are illegal, just stupid. I don't have a car, though, so I may not be up on my tire legislation.

(Co-worker's husband has no winter tires. She said she was reminded of this when she borrowed his car and slid through an intersection with cars coming the other way. Fun times!)
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Wintergreen

« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2015, 08:12:28 AM »
I'd rather have the brutal cold I experienced in Bangor, Maine than the not-so-cold ice storms I lived through in Greenville, North Carolina.  When snow is really cold you can walk or drive in it.  No one can walk or drive on ice. 

Also, Bangor has snow plows.  Last I knew Greenville had one pick up truck with a plow blade to serve the whole county.   

This is true, at -30C the roads are sticky and traction is great. It is the sloppy -5 to plus 1 stuff that causes the most accidents.

By the way, you know you live in a winter climate when it is illegal to operate a vehicle on the highways without winter tires from October to April.

Really? Wow. It is cold here (-39 with the wind chill last week) but I don't think summer tires are illegal, just stupid. I don't have a car, though, so I may not be up on my tire legislation.

(Co-worker's husband has no winter tires. She said she was reminded of this when she borrowed his car and slid through an intersection with cars coming the other way. Fun times!)
And that is the exact reason most cold places have mandatory winter tires. :D But really, unfortunately with car one is quite likely to kill somebody else. So it's not a personal risk, thus the laws. However, we only have mandatory winter tires from december to end of february, so we are not that cold place. Although, they are supposed to be used also if the weather requires it, which it does quite often outside the mandatory times.

Wintergreen

« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2015, 08:22:39 AM »
When you know the best time to defrost your freezer is in January because all the food will stay frozen if you put it in the garage. 

You know you are in college in a cold climate when spring finally rolls around and there are outdoor keg parties with the keg placed on a snow bank.  And this happens in April or May.

Or, when you are barbequing/grilling something outside and one has to keep their beer next to the fire so it won't freeze before one has time to drink it.

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2015, 01:41:40 PM »
When you know the best time to defrost your freezer is in January because all the food will stay frozen if you put it in the garage. 

You know you are in college in a cold climate when spring finally rolls around and there are outdoor keg parties with the keg placed on a snow bank.  And this happens in April or May.

Or, when you are barbequing/grilling something outside and one has to keep their beer next to the fire so it won't freeze before one has time to drink it.

Or there is no point in trying to grill because even if you are in a sheltered area, it is just too cold to keep the heat at the grill.  :P
"I think her scattergun was only loaded with commas and full-stops, although some of them cuddled together for warmth and produced little baby colons and semi-colons." ~ Margo

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2015, 01:43:43 PM »
When you've been cooped up inside with -30C temps plus windchill for a weekend and you decide to go for a walk on a day that is positively balmy at -10C.  And you weren't cold!  Despite not wearing longjohns.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2015, 03:00:29 PM »

Or there is no point in trying to grill because even if you are in a sheltered area, it is just too cold to keep the heat at the grill.  :P

Early in my grandparents' marriage, my grandpa attempted to grill steaks for my grandma. In North Dakota. In early February. He was eventually successful, but I'm surprised the poor steaks didn't get frostbite. :P
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Mergatroyd

« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2015, 03:44:29 PM »

And that is the exact reason most cold places have mandatory winter tires. :D But really, unfortunately with car one is quite likely to kill somebody else. So it's not a personal risk, thus the laws. However, we only have mandatory winter tires from december to end of february, so we are not that cold place. Although, they are supposed to be used also if the weather requires it, which it does quite often outside the mandatory times.

-30C without windchill, is the stickiest time.   >:D

One place that we lived got so cold the mercury didn't rise at all on the outdoor thermometer. Near as we could figure, it had to be at least -60C. The hose to the diesel tank snapped in two when DH tried to put fuel in the big truck. I gained ten pounds that winter, all of it bacon. Lol.

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2015, 12:17:27 PM »
When a driverless snowmobile travels 12 km (7 miles) down a major highway.

Your response is "Yep, can totally see how that would happen!"

{edited to add: everything turned up fine!}
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 12:38:45 PM by White Dragon »
"I think her scattergun was only loaded with commas and full-stops, although some of them cuddled together for warmth and produced little baby colons and semi-colons." ~ Margo

Mergatroyd

« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2015, 12:33:37 PM »
That guy was lucky! The last time I heard about a riderless sled on the highway, the driver was in the snowbank dead. He'd hit the edge and gone headfirst into a chunk of icey snow. Nice guy too. My DH worked with him. I wasn't sure how that article was going to end before I clicked the link!

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2015, 12:39:22 PM »
That guy was lucky! The last time I heard about a riderless sled on the highway, the driver was in the snowbank dead. He'd hit the edge and gone headfirst into a chunk of icey snow. Nice guy too. My DH worked with him. I wasn't sure how that article was going to end before I clicked the link!

Good point! So many sled reports have bad endings! I edited my post to say that everything turned out well!

ITSJUSTME

« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2015, 02:38:54 PM »
When a co-worker, who did graduate studies in Peru, wears an alpaca blanket like a shawl over her coat on the way to work & wishes she was back in the Andes where it's not so cold & windy.