Author Topic: Things you thought were gross but weren't  (Read 871 times)

Dr. F.

Things you thought were gross but weren't
« on: November 29, 2014, 07:59:46 PM »
{a mash-up of two threads}

So, I've been trying to write a final exam and bake christmas cookies at the same, and failing pretty badly at both. This culminated in a quick run to the grocery for some baking soda.

Needless to say, I've been running around like the proverbial headless chicken all day.

I stopped into the bathroom. I looked down on my shoe and saw a bright green worm. Immediately, I freaked. CRUD MONKEYS!, so disgusting! Where did I pick that up! Yikes! I have a serious worm-phobia.

I spent what seemed like 5 minutes freaking out about the worm on my foot.

And then I realized it was a blob of green icing from the christmas cookies. <sigh>

Celany

• the soul of a cat, in the body of a person...
Re: Things you thought were gross but weren't
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 08:05:24 PM »
Oh heavens, regularly, I'll get a cat hair tumble weed brushing against me and think it's a spider or some other creepy crawly and leap out of my skin before realizing that it is, in fact, a cat hair tumble weed.
I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior. ~ Hippolyte Taine

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 08:54:02 PM »
Dried leaves on the carpet look remarkably like cat poo from the right angle. (Unfortunately, cat poo can also look remarkably like dried leaves...)
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2014, 10:08:54 PM »
Dried leaves on the carpet look remarkably like cat poo from the right angle. (Unfortunately, cat poo can also look remarkably like dried leaves...)

Or cat barf, as a member of this household realized early one morning while stooping to pick up a dead leaf from the hibiscus tree. (It wasn't a leaf.)

As for thought-was-gross, I had a little wad of fluffy fur on my pillow. I did not realize this little wad of fluffy fur was there. I may have done an interesting supine heebie-jeebie dance before realizing it was not, in fact, a bug I had just laid on.
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~

Reika

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2014, 10:23:34 PM »
I have no issues with spiders or most insect/arachnid type multilegged crawlies. I do however, have issues with roaches. Palmetto bugs are the stuff of nightmares for me. So one day I wigged out over what I thought was a truly enormous palmetto bug.

Then I realized that it wasn't moving.

It was in fact a dead leaf.

I was so very grateful there was no one else around to see how I freaked out.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2014, 10:27:52 PM »
I have totally freaked over cat toys being left on my pillow.  I have cats that give presents. It's not unreasonable for my half awake mind to think there is a dead mouse on my pillow when I first open my eyes.  The cats find it amusing. I don't buy those life like looking mice toys anymore.

I've woken up to some disgusting cat presents over the years, so a dead mouse is not a stretch.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

greencat

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2014, 11:19:17 PM »
I have totally freaked over cat toys being left on my pillow.  I have cats that give presents. It's not unreasonable for my half awake mind to think there is a dead mouse on my pillow when I first open my eyes.  The cats find it amusing. I don't buy those life like looking mice toys anymore.

I've woken up to some disgusting cat presents over the years, so a dead mouse is not a stretch.

Having woken up to a still-slightly-living disgusting cat present, I also do not buy the realistic mouse toys anymore.

I tend to think things that are unexpectedly cold when I touch them are actually wet things.  Needless to say, the aforementioned cats, and the dog, make things that are unexpectedly wet very suspect. 

AzaleaBloom

• Help, I'm stepping into the twilight zone...
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2014, 02:32:07 PM »
I have a lot of dexterity in my toes.  I tend to use them to pick things up when I'm at home.

I was once cat sitting.  While on the phone, I saw a toy mouse on the floor.  I idly used my toes to pick it up.

And then I realized it wasn't a toy. 

I'm not easily grossed out, but that did it for me at that moment.  :P

AnnaJ

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2014, 07:01:03 PM »

Having woken up to a still-slightly-living disgusting cat present, I also do not buy the realistic mouse toys anymore.

I tend to think things that are unexpectedly cold when I touch them are actually wet things.  Needless to say, the aforementioned cats, and the dog, make things that are unexpectedly wet very suspect.

I buy very colorful mice, mostly to keep visitors from freaking out - this current group of cats has never brought home a real one, so I don't worry about it myself but hate to upset guests  >:D

whatsanenigma

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2014, 01:27:03 PM »
More than once, I have freaked out a little and jumped back when in semi-darkness I see what I think at first is a hairball on the floor but turns out to be a crunched-up knee high stocking.

(Still the cat's fault, though-she likes to pull those things out of the laundry basket.  :) )

CrochetFanatic

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2014, 04:08:26 PM »
When my brother and I were kids, he played a little prank on me.  He thought it would be funny to put 'worms' in my bed so that I would freak out at bedtime.  I don't have a worm phobia, but you don't expect to find them in your bed, so of course I jumped and went "Aaah!"

They were realistic-looking rubber fishing worms.  It actually turned out to be pretty funny.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 04:37:09 PM »
Once when I was in the shower I saw this dark thing on the bathtub bottom.  Since I wasn't wearing my glasses I couldn't tell what it was, and if it was an insect it was large.  I yelled for Mr. Sirius, and he came into the bathroom, looked at the "bug", and told me, "It's a piece of dead leaf."  He then left the bathroom, laughing.