Author Topic: Things that you just should NOT laugh at.  (Read 276376 times)

Moonie

Re: Things that you just should NOT laugh at.
« Reply #1770 on: December 10, 2013, 12:39:03 PM »
Last week I was at my desk at home eating some crackers that came in a silver mylar-like bag. When I finished, I put the bag in the trash can under my printer stand. Now, under my printer stand is one of the furnace vents, and it is a favorite place for my cat, Chloe, to sit because the warmth gets trapped there.

So, I'm on the computer, and Chloe is under the printer stand and I hear some gosh-awful commotion from under the printer stand. Lo and behold, there's Chloe with her head stuck in the bag from the crackers. I can't get a hold on her because she's thrashing around so much. I move the small table from in front of the printer stand and she takes off like a shot through the living room and into the kitchen. She still has the silver bag on her head. I tell my grandson to catch her and take it off....of course, by this time we are both laughing so hard we can't breathe.

Chloe then takes off again back through the kitchen, through the living room and into my bedroom and up on my bed. I have NO idea how she found her way because the bag was over her whole head. Grandson catches up to her  and removes the bag.

Chloe spent the rest of the evening giving me the stink eye for laughing at her.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #1771 on: December 10, 2013, 05:36:27 PM »
Why we need the Oxford comma:

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #1772 on: December 10, 2013, 05:47:30 PM »
Frieda the foster kitty played Chase the Ball this morning, followed immediately by playing Crash Your Head into the Wall.

Note: She meant to do that.
Current foster kittens: Friday (F: green collar), Duffy (M: blue), Fez (M: orange), Kipling (M: pink), Thirteen (F: yellow).

Luci45

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1773 on: December 10, 2013, 05:50:58 PM »

Oh, Slartibartfast, that was mean.............. :D   ;D

mmswm

« Reply #1774 on: December 10, 2013, 07:42:36 PM »

Oh, Slartibartfast, that was mean.............. :D   ;D

But hysterical. 

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #1775 on: December 12, 2013, 12:22:49 AM »
This is more like "I've gotta laugh or else I'll cry," but this is more or less the transcript of the conversation I had in the car with Babybartfast (age 5) today:

Discussion with Babybartfast in the car about gender today:

Me: So what do you want to get Daddy for Christmas?

Her: We should get him a Lego set.  So then we can play together.

Me: Do you think heíd like that?

Her: Yeah.  But it would have to be a boy Lego set.

Me: How can you tell if itís a boy Lego set?

Her: Boys like things that are strong and fast.  Girls like things that are pretty.

Me: So girls canít like strong things and boys canít like pretty things?

Sonja: Yeah.

Me: But you like space.  Some people might say rockets and astronauts are for boys.

Her: [audibly rolling her eyes from the backseat] Mom, Iím a SUPERHERO!  I can like both kinds!  But kids who arenít superheroes, they canít like both.

Me: But what if a boy who isnít a superhero likes something pretty?

Her: He canít.  Thatís for girls.

I mean, she just started kindergarten, for Pete's sake!  How is she indoctrinated into what's "boy" and "girl" yet?  At the same time, I'm kinda glad she's been watching so much Powerpuff Girls, because it means she's got a plausible reason to not feel bound quite as much as her classmates into a gender binary  ;D

greencat

« Reply #1776 on: December 12, 2013, 01:27:20 AM »
~~Author's note:  I have no children.  I have cats instead.  This is based on what I've read about child development, and what I vaguely remember about my own very young childhood, and what I've seen my friends with kids going through.~~

Part of the process of developing a sense of self as separate from one's environment is developing a gender identity based on what they've gathered from their environment.  Ascribing masculine and feminine traits to things which are not inherently gendered is part of that process - I still remember the awkward conversation that ensued when I witnessed cats engaging in reproductive processes and was very confused, because I was clear on the fact that making babies needed both a boy and a girl, but for some reason I had developed the idea that all cats were girls and all dogs were boys.  I really don't know how that happened but it seems to be a fairly common misconception in the pre-kindergarten crowd.

Actually, that assumption almost certainly belongs in the things you shouldn't laugh at category.  My mom may have chortled through the explanation that cats come in both boy and girl models and so do dogs.

Spring Water on Sundays

• We will never rest, fighting the battle of who could care less.
« Reply #1777 on: December 12, 2013, 09:12:24 AM »
This is more like "I've gotta laugh or else I'll cry," but this is more or less the transcript of the conversation I had in the car with Babybartfast (age 5) today:

Discussion with Babybartfast in the car about gender today:

Me: So what do you want to get Daddy for Christmas?

Her: We should get him a Lego set.  So then we can play together.

Me: Do you think heíd like that?

Her: Yeah.  But it would have to be a boy Lego set.

Me: How can you tell if itís a boy Lego set?

Her: Boys like things that are strong and fast.  Girls like things that are pretty.

Me: So girls canít like strong things and boys canít like pretty things?

Sonja: Yeah.

Me: But you like space.  Some people might say rockets and astronauts are for boys.

Her: [audibly rolling her eyes from the backseat] Mom, Iím a SUPERHERO!  I can like both kinds!  But kids who arenít superheroes, they canít like both.

Me: But what if a boy who isnít a superhero likes something pretty?

Her: He canít.  Thatís for girls.

I mean, she just started kindergarten, for Pete's sake!  How is she indoctrinated into what's "boy" and "girl" yet?  At the same time, I'm kinda glad she's been watching so much Powerpuff Girls, because it means she's got a plausible reason to not feel bound quite as much as her classmates into a gender binary  ;D

Oh :( Good thing you're her mom! You'll have her set straight in no time ;)

I am reminded of this, though: http://i.imgur.com/tfAPwC2.png :D

Spring Water on Sundays

• We will never rest, fighting the battle of who could care less.
« Reply #1778 on: December 12, 2013, 09:15:11 AM »
~~Author's note:  I have no children.  I have cats instead.  This is based on what I've read about child development, and what I vaguely remember about my own very young childhood, and what I've seen my friends with kids going through.~~

Part of the process of developing a sense of self as separate from one's environment is developing a gender identity based on what they've gathered from their environment.  Ascribing masculine and feminine traits to things which are not inherently gendered is part of that process - I still remember the awkward conversation that ensued when I witnessed cats engaging in reproductive processes and was very confused, because I was clear on the fact that making babies needed both a boy and a girl, but for some reason I had developed the idea that all cats were girls and all dogs were boys.  I really don't know how that happened but it seems to be a fairly common misconception in the pre-kindergarten crowd.

Actually, that assumption almost certainly belongs in the things you shouldn't laugh at category.  My mom may have chortled through the explanation that cats come in both boy and girl models and so do dogs.

I was also under that notion for a few years...regardless that I had 2 girl dogs  ::)

Runningstar

« Reply #1779 on: December 13, 2013, 06:14:17 AM »
Yesterday at the post office, waiting in a long line to mail my Christmas packages I heard at least 5 times someone ask to buy just two or three Christmas printed stamps.  Each person was told that no, the gingerbread or the whatever could not be broken up and had to be bought as a whole sheet.  The only one the worker could break up was the Holy Family.  After the five times, the worker just would say "I can only break up the Holy Family".  I said to the lady in front of me - gosh they're breaking up the Holy Family in the US Post Office now!  Shouldn't have said it, but we started cracking up.  The worker wasn't entertained by our giggling. 

OSUJillyBean

« Reply #1780 on: December 13, 2013, 02:26:07 PM »

Pug meets playground slide ...

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #1781 on: December 13, 2013, 02:35:55 PM »
I think you posted this in the wrong place.

This is for things you should NOT laugh at.  ;D

cwm

« Reply #1782 on: December 13, 2013, 03:44:43 PM »

It would work if it was a cat and not a pug, though. You should NOT laugh at cats. They take it as a personal slight.

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #1783 on: December 13, 2013, 04:12:15 PM »

It would work if it was a cat and not a pug, though. You should NOT laugh at cats. They take it as a personal slight.

So, something more like this:

In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

Snooks

« Reply #1784 on: December 14, 2013, 05:38:50 PM »

I was once told a story about a little girl who was convinced that when she grew up she'd turn into a boy.  She was quite looking forward to it.