Author Topic: Things that you just should NOT laugh at.  (Read 335977 times)

Luci

• Super Hero!
Re: Things that you just should NOT laugh at.
« Reply #1860 on: January 12, 2014, 01:59:43 PM »
absolutely covered in baked beans.  (As is the floor, and one side of the kitchen island.)

So yeah, probably shouldn't laugh, but now DH is trying to catch a very slimy, sticky Bittybartfast, who has figured out there's some sort of chasing game going on, and he's going to have to completely strip her down and probably at least stick her clothes in the sink to soak as well.  And I feel absolutely zero need to step in . . .

(ETA: turns out DH's version of "clean up the mess" is to let the dogs in.  I'm hoping he removes Bittybartfast from the area first, or she's going to be a very unhappy baby . . .)

Now, I'm thinking about my granddog. He is a really good cleaner-upper because he will eat anything and dog slobber is a lot easier to mop up than other messes, but with beans, I wonder that we would want to be around him for a day.

Best wishes.  ;D

Tashigi

« Reply #1861 on: January 13, 2014, 01:32:27 AM »
Dogs + Sticks + Narrow openings = hilarity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aorpENAK5Xk

greencat

« Reply #1862 on: January 13, 2014, 02:44:21 AM »
Dogs + Sticks + Narrow openings = hilarity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aorpENAK5Xk

The dog-who-ate-all-things did some, err, landscaping work in my back yard - all foliage from 4'6", the reach of her mouth when she was standing on her hind legs, was gone within a month after she got to that size.  Once when I had the back door open and was letting the dogs run in and out of their own accord, I heard some strange thunking and some doggy noises coming from the back porch, and walked into the living room just in time to see my very excited dog bringing in a 6 foot long, inch thick branch off the ficus in the back yard!

English1

« Reply #1863 on: January 13, 2014, 05:36:40 AM »
You shouldn't make fun of people's names but we do have people from a lot of different countries in office, and some of the names are a bit comical to us. One country in particular has a tradition of using some English words as names, that we wouldn't.
After a day or so the novelty wears off and we get used to it as just being someone's name.

We went to a large restaurant for our Christmas office meal. Two of us arrived first, and sat in the waiting area till everyone else arrived. Along with a lot of strangers. One of our colleagues arrived and didn't spot us, walked past and was searching round for people he knew. My colleague yelled his name three times to get his attention 'Innocent! Innocent! Innocent!', well of course everyone round us stared at her in amazement. We collapsed laughing at the expressions on their faces. We managed eventually to explain that she wasn't making a very random legal protest, it was our friend's name.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #1864 on: January 13, 2014, 09:05:05 AM »
You shouldn't make fun of people's names but we do have people from a lot of different countries in office, and some of the names are a bit comical to us. One country in particular has a tradition of using some English words as names, that we wouldn't.
After a day or so the novelty wears off and we get used to it as just being someone's name.

We went to a large restaurant for our Christmas office meal. Two of us arrived first, and sat in the waiting area till everyone else arrived. Along with a lot of strangers. One of our colleagues arrived and didn't spot us, walked past and was searching round for people he knew. My colleague yelled his name three times to get his attention 'Innocent! Innocent! Innocent!', well of course everyone round us stared at her in amazement. We collapsed laughing at the expressions on their faces. We managed eventually to explain that she wasn't making a very random legal protest, it was our friend's name.

I've got family in New Zealand.  They were telling me about a neighbor of theirs, another American, who moved in shortly after they did.  He introduced himself with "Hi, I'm Randy!"  They convinced him he might want to go by "Randall" as long as he lived in NZ . . .

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #1865 on: January 13, 2014, 09:40:14 AM »

I've got family in New Zealand.  They were telling me about a neighbor of theirs, another American, who moved in shortly after they did.  He introduced himself with "Hi, I'm Randy!"  They convinced him he might want to go by "Randall" as long as he lived in NZ . . .

Did he introduce you to his wife, Fanny?

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #1866 on: January 13, 2014, 10:53:21 AM »

Did he introduce you to his wife, Fanny?

Ha!  No, but he did tell a story about a friend and an inflatable sheep at a party and I wasn't old enough to understand exactly what he was talking about until *much* later.  (Sheep was a gag gift, friend didn't realize until he had been carrying it around all evening that it was, err, designed as an *adult* gag gift, if you get my meaning.)  Looking back, I can't believe he told that story in front of me and my younger siblings, but he probably assumed (rightly) we didn't catch the innuendo.  I did remember thinking that "Randy" seemed like it wasn't a bad name for him, he just was one of those guys who give off "I HAVE NO FILTER!" vibes . . .

Tashigi

« Reply #1867 on: January 13, 2014, 01:40:44 PM »

That reminds me of the Adam Hills bit about the Olympic swimmer Misty Hyman: "If your last name is Hyman, DON'T call your child an adjective!"

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #1868 on: January 13, 2014, 04:56:02 PM »
Ha!  No, but he did tell a story about a friend and an inflatable sheep at a party and I wasn't old enough to understand exactly what he was talking about until *much* later.  (Sheep was a gag gift, friend didn't realize until he had been carrying it around all evening that it was, err, designed as an *adult* gag gift, if you get my meaning.)
Many years ago, my XH & I had a young man live with us, doing some landscaping & construction work in exchange for room & board.  This young man was from Montana.  I prepared a lovely leg of lamb for dinner.  He ate a couple bites and asked if he could have some ketchup.  I was puzzled, but being a good hostess, I fetched the ketchup for him.  He proceeded to drown his lamb in ketchup.  I think my jaw hit the floor.  Lamb isn't cheap and I don't think he could taste the lamb with all that ketchup.

I asked him, "Don't you have sheep in Montana?"

He replied, "Yes, but we don't eat them!"

My XH quipped, "Montana - where the men are men and the sheep are scared." >:D
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Onyx_TKD

« Reply #1869 on: January 16, 2014, 05:17:37 PM »
Just saw a banner ad (on another site) that says, in big letters:
"Jesus Christ is Lord
Christian & Single?"

To me, this sounds like they're trying to set Jesus up on dates with single Christians. The fact that my brain keeps trying to read it as "Jesus Christ is single" isn't helping. (It's an ad for a Christian dating site, but I don't think they were intending to imply that Jesus has a dating profile there.)

nuit93

« Reply #1870 on: January 16, 2014, 07:01:32 PM »
"Jesus Christ is Lord
Christian & Single?"

To me, this sounds like they're trying to set Jesus up on dates with single Christians. The fact that my brain keeps trying to read it as "Jesus Christ is single" isn't helping. (It's an ad for a Christian dating site, but I don't think they were intending to imply that Jesus has a dating profile there.)

See, now I'm reading that as: Jesus Christ is Lord Christian and Single.

Punctuation matters :)

Onyx_TKD

« Reply #1871 on: January 16, 2014, 07:06:37 PM »
"Jesus Christ is Lord
Christian & Single?"

It does indeed.  :) For the record, I would like to state that I reproduced the punctuation and capitalization used in the ad. That missing period isn't my fault!

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1872 on: January 16, 2014, 07:40:41 PM »
"Jesus Christ is Lord
Christian & Single?"

Hey, if he isn't Christian, who is? 

:-\ ??? :o Oh, wait. He's a good Jewish boy, right?  Read the Wedding at Cana and see if you don't see Jesus and Mary as a Good Jewish Boy and his Ma.

But he WAS single, at least according to current Christian doctrine.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Cuddlepie

« Reply #1873 on: January 17, 2014, 01:37:19 AM »
As we prepared for my Mum for collection by the undertaker, I wanted her false teeth put in.  It was hard to do as her mouth was not only very dry but her gums had shrunk after 4 months of refusing to wear her false teeth.

I looked at Mum and was horrified then blurted out, "Mum would just die if she was buried looking like this!"   (her teeth look like horses teeth)  So so wrong but never the less we had tears of laughter mixing with our tears of grief.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #1874 on: January 17, 2014, 04:26:36 PM »
Had to laugh at myself today.  The vehicle ahead of me at a stoplight was one of those really jacked up mini pickups.  It was so lifted that you would have needed a four foot ladder to get in.  Dangling from the receiver hitch were the ubiquitous plastic "dangly bits", only these were green.  I'll admit that the first thought through my head was "Compensating much???"  >:D  But the second thought was "Dang, better get those whacked off before the gangrene spreads..."

Slinking off thataway---->

Could have been worse - if they were blue, they'd be euphemistically saying quite a bit about the driver's scrabble life  :P

Probably because they can't play the game properly, what with their wooden piece only holding about 3 scrabble tiles instead of the regulation 7.   ;D

Barely two - that kind of overcompensation speaks volumes....and you don't need a Scrabble dictionary to look up anything...
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 04:30:23 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?