News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• January 17, 2018, 07:28:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Things that you just should NOT laugh at.  (Read 778790 times)

Twik

Re: Things that you just should NOT laugh at.
« Reply #2085 on: October 28, 2014, 02:49:25 PM »
I grew up in the Midwest, but I now live in Alabama.  Babybartfast has lived here her whole life.

Her homework tonight (1st grade) is to go through a list of words, clap out the syllables, and write down how many syllables each one has.

She's horrible at it.  (Seriously - she keeps adding strange syllables in the middle of words, making a single vowel stretch for two syllables, etc.)

I'm trying so hard to keep a straight face and talk her through it, but I don't know how I can correct her when she gets "So-uth - 2, mom?" because that's what she hears from everyone else around here  ;D
I had the same problem as a kid. If I said the word Teacher's way there were many extras. To this day I have to shut my eyes and hear Momma's Maritime Accent or Aunt Mo's British accent to spell certain words.

I remember a quiz show many years ago. The contestants had to introduce themselves, and tell what they did.

One contestant was a very educated man. He was also from the deep South.

It came out sort of like "I'm a bah-aaawlogis'". The host, who was British, had to have someone translate that he was a biologist. He kept muttering "there aren't that many syllables in biologist!"
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Hollanda

• Believe in yourself.
« Reply #2086 on: October 28, 2014, 04:57:40 PM »
In the "Why would I Want to do that?" folder, the headliner thread that appears, almost like a byline, is 'Sober for October'.

I did read the start of the thread, which makes it even more twisted to my mind everytime I skim/read:

"Why would I want to do that? Sober for October"

Why indeed lol.  It's nice and all that but hey, I am looking forward to a wine at the weekend...
Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

TootsNYC

« Reply #2087 on: October 28, 2014, 05:20:35 PM »
Last night, my baby niece was on her tummy, resting on a pillow on my brother's lap. Well, she decided she didn't want to hold her head up anymore and just dropped her head down...onto my brother's knee. Silence for a few seconds and then starts crying.

But then, about half an hour later, she was sitting in her little activity circle thing...with one of those hard plastic rollers that make noises. Now we didn't see it this time, but we all heard the WHACK! as she again face planted into something. And then of course, she looked around in shock and started crying again.

Now I know it's horrible to laugh at a child getting hurt, but the look on her face when she realised it had hurt was hilarious. (I'm a horrible aunt, I know)

If you're a horrible aunt for laughing at the look, then I've got to be the worst mom in the world.

When my daughter was a baby, I had taken her to the doctor for her shots.  She was sitting calmly on my lap, looking around and enjoying the world and the nurse gave her the shot in her leg.  Her little mouth made this "O" shape, like a cartoon baby, for about 5 (very long) seconds while she processed the "OWWWIE" and *then* she started into the bansidhe howling.

At which point I almost dropped her because I was laughing so hard.  It was just...  the little shocked face and the long period between shocked and screaming.  It was funny.  The nurse gave me one of those looks that says she thinks you're way too young to be caring for one of God's Precious Angels (and then she gave me a lecture) but no lasting harm was done to my daughter.   ;)

My daughter fell down a flight of stairs once as a toddler, to my amusement.

Because she fell one step at a time, rolling over as she went.

She was ahead of me, dressed in her knitted cap with the wide band and her puffy snowsuit (so: padding, plus cuteness factor) and I couldn't get around her without knocking her over, and then she fell over. And landed lying along the step on her tummy.

And fell down to the next step, rolling halfway over. And so on.

So it was: back of the head; shocked face; back of the head; shocked face; back of the head; shocked face; back of the head; shocked face.

She wasn't hurt; she was only falling about 8 inches at a time. But it was funny as all get out as I tried to figure out how to get in front of her to stop her without stepping on her. I never did--it was a half flight, and she eventually landed on her tummy at the bottom and scrambled up.
   So I promptly scrambled to get ahead of her for the next half-flight.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #2088 on: October 28, 2014, 05:33:28 PM »
Last night, my baby niece was on her tummy, resting on a pillow on my brother's lap. Well, she decided she didn't want to hold her head up anymore and just dropped her head down...onto my brother's knee. Silence for a few seconds and then starts crying.

But then, about half an hour later, she was sitting in her little activity circle thing...with one of those hard plastic rollers that make noises. Now we didn't see it this time, but we all heard the WHACK! as she again face planted into something. And then of course, she looked around in shock and started crying again.

Now I know it's horrible to laugh at a child getting hurt, but the look on her face when she realised it had hurt was hilarious. (I'm a horrible aunt, I know)

If you're a horrible aunt for laughing at the look, then I've got to be the worst mom in the world.

When my daughter was a baby, I had taken her to the doctor for her shots.  She was sitting calmly on my lap, looking around and enjoying the world and the nurse gave her the shot in her leg.  Her little mouth made this "O" shape, like a cartoon baby, for about 5 (very long) seconds while she processed the "OWWWIE" and *then* she started into the bansidhe howling.

At which point I almost dropped her because I was laughing so hard.  It was just...  the little shocked face and the long period between shocked and screaming.  It was funny.  The nurse gave me one of those looks that says she thinks you're way too young to be caring for one of God's Precious Angels (and then she gave me a lecture) but no lasting harm was done to my daughter.   ;)

My daughter fell down a flight of stairs once as a toddler, to my amusement.

Because she fell one step at a time, rolling over as she went.

She was ahead of me, dressed in her knitted cap with the wide band and her puffy snowsuit (so: padding, plus cuteness factor) and I couldn't get around her without knocking her over, and then she fell over. And landed lying along the step on her tummy.

And fell down to the next step, rolling halfway over. And so on.

So it was: back of the head; shocked face; back of the head; shocked face; back of the head; shocked face; back of the head; shocked face.

She wasn't hurt; she was only falling about 8 inches at a time. But it was funny as all get out as I tried to figure out how to get in front of her to stop her without stepping on her. I never did--it was a half flight, and she eventually landed on her tummy at the bottom and scrambled up.
   So I promptly scrambled to get ahead of her for the next half-flight.

That was the best description ever.  I don't laugh out loud often, but the alternating views did it.

Margo

« Reply #2089 on: November 04, 2014, 04:00:09 PM »
I shouldn't laugh at the kittens, who both came home from the vets (after routine spay/neuter ops) wearing the Cones of Shame. 

I particularly should not laugh at them trying to go in opposite directions through the same narrow gap and bashing their cones into each other.

That would be mean.

(the kittens do not appear to have read the vet's after-care instructions, which tells them they should be feeling snoozy. They have been suggesting that a game of chase-the-laser pointer is just what we all need. )

nuit93

« Reply #2090 on: November 04, 2014, 04:37:03 PM »
I shouldn't laugh at the kittens, who both came home from the vets (after routine spay/neuter ops) wearing the Cones of Shame. 

I particularly should not laugh at them trying to go in opposite directions through the same narrow gap and bashing their cones into each other.

That would be mean.

(the kittens do not appear to have read the vet's after-care instructions, which tells them they should be feeling snoozy. They have been suggesting that a game of chase-the-laser pointer is just what we all need. )

Were they spayed young?  We had ours done as soon as she was big enough for the surgery and she was back to her hyper kitten self in less than 24 hours.  We had to put extra Velcro on the cone and keep her separate from her older brother so she wouldn't try to pick a fight and risk tearing her stitches.

Sirius

« Reply #2091 on: November 04, 2014, 10:57:59 PM »
Our smaller tabby was spayed young, and the day it happened she came home and decided to race up and down the hallway with her sister, who had been spayed at an earlier age because she was larger.

greencat

• Trap...Neuter...What was that third thing again?
« Reply #2092 on: November 05, 2014, 12:51:26 AM »
I think the newer anesthetics the vets are using makes them considerably less sleepy afterward - I haven't noticed any clumsiness or lethargy in the six I've had spayed/neutered in the past year, at two different vets. 

Julia Mercer

• Country Gals Fan Page
« Reply #2093 on: November 05, 2014, 02:39:14 AM »
I saw this article posted on Facebook, and just HAD to share it here, it was too funny not to!
 http://www.huffingtonpost.com/elaine-ambrose/dont-fart-during-an-mri_b_6044578.html

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...
« Reply #2094 on: November 05, 2014, 06:43:52 AM »
I saw this article posted on Facebook, and just HAD to share it here, it was too funny not to!
 http://www.huffingtonpost.com/elaine-ambrose/dont-fart-during-an-mri_b_6044578.html

>snicker<

Now I wonder what a fart looks like on an MRI.
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!

Margo

« Reply #2095 on: November 05, 2014, 08:11:29 AM »

That would be mean.

Were they spayed young?  We had ours done as soon as she was big enough for the surgery and she was back to her hyper kitten self in less than 24 hours.  We had to put extra Velcro on the cone and keep her separate from her older brother so she wouldn't try to pick a fight and risk tearing her stitches.

They are approximately 4 1/2 months old. I wasn't sure whether the vet would be happy to do the spay for Herself, as she is a tiny thing (unlike her brother, who is nearly twice her size, and who very definitily needed to have his op!)

I wasn't altogether surprised that they bounced back so fast. It was more that difference between the advice sheet and the actual kittens which amused me.

Himself would not (per advice) have needed a cone at all had he been an Only Cat - it's mostly to stop him grooming his sister and potentially tearing the wound.

I shall be taking the cones off temporarily tonight so they can each have a good wash under supervision, although I shall be surprised if Herself messes with her scar - it's glued rather than stitched so there are no rough edges (and I am *very* impressed with how tiny it is - the vet must be incredibly dexterous!) but they will be keeping the cones on while I am not there to supervise, just to be on the safe side.

Xandraea

« Reply #2096 on: November 05, 2014, 01:40:14 PM »

>snicker<

Now I wonder what a fart looks like on an MRI.

Me too! And ROFL at her colourful description of the event itself!  ;D  ;D

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #2097 on: November 07, 2014, 04:03:15 PM »
I grew up in the Midwest, but I now live in Alabama.  Babybartfast has lived here her whole life.

Her homework tonight (1st grade) is to go through a list of words, clap out the syllables, and write down how many syllables each one has.

She's horrible at it.  (Seriously - she keeps adding strange syllables in the middle of words, making a single vowel stretch for two syllables, etc.)

I'm trying so hard to keep a straight face and talk her through it, but I don't know how I can correct her when she gets "So-uth - 2, mom?" because that's what she hears from everyone else around here  ;D
I had the same problem as a kid. If I said the word Teacher's way there were many extras. To this day I have to shut my eyes and hear Momma's Maritime Accent or Aunt Mo's British accent to spell certain words.

I remember a quiz show many years ago. The contestants had to introduce themselves, and tell what they did.

One contestant was a very educated man. He was also from the deep South.

It came out sort of like "I'm a bah-aaawlogis'". The host, who was British, had to have someone translate that he was a biologist. He kept muttering "there aren't that many syllables in biologist!"
Many years ago, our friend brought her granddaughter to Hawaii to visit us and other fun stuff.  We all took the tour of Iolani Palace.  This is the only palace in the United States that was occupied by royalty.  Little V was looking forward to seeing the King and Queen.  She was devastated to learn that neither a King or Queen was in residence.  Little V said, in her 4 y.o. southern accent, "They're all de-ah-ed."  It's hard to express in writing.  We didn't laugh at her then, but we still laugh at how she fit 3 syllables into a 1 syllable word - dead.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #2098 on: November 07, 2014, 04:07:10 PM »
Our smaller tabby was spayed young, and the day it happened she came home and decided to race up and down the hallway with her sister, who had been spayed at an earlier age because she was larger.
Many, many years ago, I took in a kitten to be spayed at the local SPCA.  I didn't want her to come into heat because we had a cat door and all 3 cats were indoor/outdoor.  The vet said to expect her to be drowsy for the rest of the day.  Not Serena.  She went racing around the house, then climbed the macrame cat toy I made.  It connected to cat scratch furniture at the bottom and to the ceiling at the top.  There was a little bell inside the top connection which Serena gleefully rang to let us know she was still at the top of her form. >:D
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

Fliss

• Australia - the land that time forgot.
« Reply #2099 on: November 07, 2014, 11:59:54 PM »

Sam has lost de power of de woof over the chickens at last.

He likes to lay on the slabs a little way off the wire and wait until one of the chickens settles down in the loose dirt for a nice long dust bath. Then he slowly crawls up to the wire and bounces onto his feet and gives out a loud 'WULF'. Until today, this has resulted in whoever the victim is jumping up and flapping away, while he smugly trots off singing 'I gotta chicken, I gotta chicken.'

Today however, he tried it -- and the chicken just lay there and glared at him. This had amusement value so I just watched to see what happened next. Sam lay down, then bounced up again. Chicken stayed where it was and flapped a lazy wing. Sam gives it one more try with a bark best described as 'wo-of?'

The chicken turned its back and flicked dust over him twice.

De power of de Woof has ended, and a rather dejected dog had to be consoled that all good things must end with a pigs ear and his favourite chewie. The Human is giving restrained giggles, because it's bad form to laugh outright at a Rottweiler.
Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.