News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• September 24, 2017, 04:24:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Things that you just should NOT laugh at.  (Read 708177 times)

mmswm

Re: Things that you just should NOT laugh at.
« Reply #2490 on: August 06, 2017, 01:09:07 PM »
Oscar is, in fact,  goffins cockatoo. :)

And he's in the early stages of fatty liver disease.  The current hypothesis is that he started plucking when he started feeling ill, but it didn't get really bad until he got a strep infection on top of that.  Unfortunately he was on a terrible diet before he came to me, among other issues (Dazi has seen the pictures...poor thing was not in good shape), so the liver disease was already happening, though he just wasn't ill enough for anybody to catch it.  The blood test to find it isn't on the normal new bird panel, and the markers that would have suggested we do the liver function test weren't bad enough to indicated the additional testing.  Then the stress of having to get meds twice a day and go into a flat bottomed hospital cage set up just put him over the edge. He was chewing his chest bloody.  He had a different e-collar but he managed to remove that one, so we had to upgrade to this version.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #2491 on: August 06, 2017, 06:32:21 PM »
DH has lost 20+ lbs since we bought the house. A combination of him skipping meals and working hard in the yard and with "demovating" the house.

I should not laugh at his pitiful attempts to wear the same clothing, which falls straight off if he doesn't wear a belt. We had to donate almost all of his formal attire, and most of his regular wardrobe.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Dawse

« Reply #2492 on: September 13, 2017, 05:50:07 PM »
Telling on myself. Feel free to laugh at me. (I did, afterwards.)

I've recently binged a load of YouTube videos along the lines of 'top 10 best ghost photos' and '5 super creepy videos that defy rational explanation', so I'm extra primed to creep myself out at the moment.

Tonight I was driving home from a friend's house along a road that's overhung by trees, winding, and through fields. There were a few wispy bits of mist that were reflecting off my headlights and I was just in the process of telling myself off for having an overactive imagination as I went round a bend... and spotted a large, looming white shape fluttering I'm the hedge. Would you care to take a guess at my reaction?

If you said 'slam the brakes on and scream like a banshee' you would be correct. It turned out to be an innocent carrier bag, attached harmlessly to a branch and minding its own business.

I'm just glad there was nobody behind me. You can laugh now  ;D
'A troth, by the way, is a small furry creature with fins, the offspring of a trout and a sloth. I often wonder what they saw in each other, but then I suppose the sloth, being upside down, would tend to have a different slant on things.'

Chipmunky

« Reply #2493 on: September 18, 2017, 07:57:05 AM »
Was not allowed to laugh, because it encourages the behavior at this age.

Chipmunchkin, at 15.5 months of age, has determined how certain drawers work. Specifically, drawers in DH's and my bedroom. She can and will pull the storage bed drawers open, remove some of our carefully folded shirts, wave them about, then stuff them back in the drawer and close it for us.

Here's the "I CANNOT LAUGH" portion.

She figured out how to open my undergarments drawer. She immediately grabbed several pairs of briefs in each hand and went tearing down the hall, waving them like banners and shrieking with delight over her prize. I had to chase her down and offer a LOT of cheerios and yogurt melts to "trade" for my underwear.  She took the trade session very seriously- a plain pair of underwear in nude or white was apparently worth 5 cheerios and a yogurt melt. "Pretty" patterned ones required at least 10 honey nut cheerios, and as many yogurt melts. 

This kid is going places in contracting and negotiating deals and hostage situations.

Fortunately, it was around snack time anyways, and I managed to keep a calm, slightly stern, straight face throughout as we gravely traded underwear for snacks. Even better, it was ultimately only about 5 pairs of underwear. I didn't make a big deal of it, and only looked away from her once, to give Mr. Chipmunky the Mom Stare when he started choking from trying not to laugh.

Once Chipmunchkin was otherwise preoccupied with a book to read with her daddy, I took the "prizes" back to our room, where I let loose the giggles- can't let the kiddo see it!

Reika

« Reply #2494 on: September 18, 2017, 10:31:41 AM »
A co-worker was complaining about the headshots that were done by a photographer for her business cards.  The part that I tried not to laugh at was when she said, "He made me look like a glazed donut! "

gramma dishes

« Reply #2495 on: September 18, 2017, 11:09:15 AM »
^^^  My guess is that she intended for you to laugh.  Made me laugh too. ;)

Reika

« Reply #2496 on: September 18, 2017, 01:41:38 PM »

She came off so angry that I didnít dare at 5he time.

gramma dishes

« Reply #2497 on: September 18, 2017, 01:59:19 PM »

Does she, by chance, actually look like a glazed doughnut?   ;D

Reika

« Reply #2498 on: September 18, 2017, 02:01:40 PM »

Normally no, so I can't imagine what kind of lighting the photographer  used.

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #2499 on: September 18, 2017, 08:44:37 PM »

Normally no, so I can't imagine what kind of lighting the photographer  used.

Could also be due to photo retouching.

esteban

« Reply #2500 on: September 19, 2017, 07:55:04 AM »
A co-worker was complaining about the headshots that were done by a photographer for her business cards.  The part that I tried not to laugh at was when she said, "He made me look like a glazed donut! "

Are you sure she didn't want him to sugarcoat it for her?
The artist formerly known as deadbody

sleepy59

« Reply #2501 on: September 19, 2017, 08:44:58 AM »
Maybe it's just me but when I see Theresa May (new acting PM in the UK) on the news, I can't help but think of the character on Dr. Who, whose name I cannot remember, who was a low level staffer who got elevated to PM because she was the only one left.  Cracks me up every time I see Ms. May on the news.

Same here, they sound the same as well.

Harriet Jones

• Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #2502 on: September 21, 2017, 08:54:25 AM »
Maybe it's just me but when I see Theresa May (new acting PM in the UK) on the news, I can't help but think of the character on Dr. Who, whose name I cannot remember, who was a low level staffer who got elevated to PM because she was the only one left.  Cracks me up every time I see Ms. May on the news.

Harriet Jones ;)

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #2503 on: September 21, 2017, 05:12:18 PM »

Harriet Jones ;)

LOL.  Thanks!

And I still think of you whenever I see PM May on television.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario