News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 12, 2017, 10:30:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Things that you just should NOT laugh at.  (Read 755598 times)

Nikko-chan

Re: Things that you just should NOT laugh at.
« Reply #2505 on: October 21, 2017, 10:52:48 PM »
Maybe it's just me but when I see Theresa May (new acting PM in the UK) on the news, I can't help but think of the character on Dr. Who, whose name I cannot remember, who was a low level staffer who got elevated to PM because she was the only one left.  Cracks me up every time I see Ms. May on the news.

Same here, they sound the same as well.

Harriet Jones ;)

LOL.  Thanks!

And I still think of you whenever I see PM May on television.

"Harriet Jones, former Prime Minister."
"We know who you are."

o_gal

« Reply #2506 on: October 23, 2017, 06:03:16 AM »
We shouldn't have laughed at this, because it broke all rules of etiquette and was incredibly bad theater manners, but in the moment it was hysterical.

At the opera yesterday, there were tons of freshman college students. This past weekend's production was a special program that they run with the Univ. of Dayton, the First Year Student Arts Immersion. The upper balcony (which is where my season ticket is, because I'm cheap) was filled with very well dressed up 17/18/19 year olds. For almost all of them, their first opera. For probably most of them, their first live theater experience.

So for a first opera experience, did they choose to have them attend "The Barber of Seville"? (March's production) Or "Turandot"? (May) Or even the September production of Verdi's "Requiem"?

No, this was "The Consul" by Menotti (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Consul). A very dark opera, basically 3 hours of despair. The production was wonderful but it takes a strong opera lover to want to make it through this one.

The program listed act 1, intermission, act 2, intermission, act 3. At the first intermission, we lost about 1/3 to 1/2 of the UD students. Act 2 is the powerhouse act, with a fantastic performance by The Magician, and the power aria by Magda (and yes, it was awesome!) I had actually planned to leave during the second intermission because I was wilting under all the despair, and wasn't sure I wanted to stick it out to the end, in which Magda commits suicide.

So act 2 concludes, curtain rings down. I reach for my purse but wait - the orchestra is still playing. They're not breaking for the scheduled intermission. The curtain goes up on act 3. Just as I'm thinking hey, they're skipping the intermission, one of the students lets forth with "Aw, f*ck!"

So yes, bad theater manners, against all rules of etiquette, but in the moment, funny as h*ll  >:D

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #2507 on: October 27, 2017, 01:04:22 PM »
I was babysitting my friend's son for the first time (he's in kinder btw). He was enthralled/fascinated when I mentioned I had homework to do when we got back to my house. The idea that adults could be in school and have homework was a completely foreign concept to him. I'm the only adult he's ever been around that is in college. He sighed, this look came over his face, and told me "Oh my god, I'm going to have homework forever!"   

I thought it was flipping hysterical.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

mime

« Reply #2508 on: October 27, 2017, 01:41:24 PM »
Daughter (age 17) was trying to figure out how mammograms are done.  So I told her: "they squish your b00b between two plates and take a picture."  Her expression was everything you would hope for.  >:D  ;D

I had a similar experience when I was explaining to my son (who was 10 at the time) how a colonoscopy was done. ("well, they take a video camera and...."). He just stared at me with this look on his face like I was telling a very sick joke. (What is *wrong* with you? Why would you even say that?!?  :o :o :o) I had to stop in the middle of my explanation when I realized how it was all sounding to him.  ;D

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #2509 on: November 17, 2017, 02:40:40 PM »
I work with a lady in her early 60's. She is a very nice lady, from NY originally, and has some traits and ways of speaking from up there.

For whatever reason, she has decided to buy rather gaudy velour track suits and wear them to work. It cracks me up every time, and I try not to laugh, but she's now Leisure Suit lady.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

parrot_girl

« Reply #2510 on: December 05, 2017, 06:55:41 PM »
So Mum and I were chatting about the week ahead, and Mum said that she would be visiting a friend of hers who is sadly now suffering dementia and may or may not recognise her. I said how sad that was, and asked how said friend's husband was going, and Mum said, "Oh, he finds it hard, but he's doing much better now that Jan's moved to the Home for the Bewildered."

I cackled.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #2511 on: December 06, 2017, 05:27:51 PM »
Woman called to ask if she could just go to one of our graduations next week (we have 6!). I replied that she would need a ticket, and they aren't open to the public.

She goes on to tell me that she went to one of other school, and didn't need a ticket. What were we thinking?

Our graduation ceremonies fill up. It's not like we have loads of room, plus we try to keep the crowds under control.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien