News:

• February 18, 2018, 10:20:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Things that you just should NOT laugh at.  (Read 800737 times)

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
Re: Things that you just should NOT laugh at.
« Reply #810 on: September 06, 2011, 10:09:30 AM »
I don' think I can possibly describe how much I'm enjoying this mermaid cannibalism debate.  I'm a bit torn on it, myself.  Does cannibalism have to be the exact same species?  Would it be cannibalism for a red ant to eat a black ant?  What about snakes that eat other species of snake?  And are humans and mermaids as genetically close as corn snakes and king snakes?

This is a good point.  If two species can successfully mate and produce offspring, I'd have to say that would count as cannibalism.

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #811 on: September 06, 2011, 10:12:41 AM »
Did anyone else get a mental picture of a bunch of surly bears complaining that the coffee is cold and they're out of their favorite muffins?

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #812 on: September 06, 2011, 10:14:23 AM »
Did anyone else get a mental picture of a bunch of surly bears complaining that the coffee is cold and they're out of their favorite muffins?

I am now!
Bingle bongle dingle dangle yickity-do yickity-dah ping-pong lippy-toppy too tah.

Diane AKA Traska

« Reply #813 on: September 06, 2011, 10:18:01 AM »
I... may be missing a reference.

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #814 on: September 06, 2011, 10:19:10 AM »

Last post on the previous page...
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #815 on: September 06, 2011, 10:19:51 AM »
I don' think I can possibly describe how much I'm enjoying this mermaid cannibalism debate.  I'm a bit torn on it, myself.  Does cannibalism have to be the exact same species?  Would it be cannibalism for a red ant to eat a black ant?  What about snakes that eat other species of snake?  And are humans and mermaids as genetically close as corn snakes and king snakes?

This is a good point.  If two species can successfully mate and produce offspring, I'd have to say that would count as cannibalism.

IF that's the case, I'd have to vote for not cannibalism.  Since a merperson's reproductive half is fishy, I'd assume they wouldn't be sexually compatible with humans.  Ariel is a special case, since Triton turned her into a human, and we don't know if they successfully reproduced, anyway.  There's a possibility that merpeople and humans might be able to hybridize through some sort of invitro fertilization, but until we can test that, I'm not counting on it.

Diane AKA Traska

« Reply #816 on: September 06, 2011, 10:26:16 AM »

Well that's odd.  I could swear that wasn't there when I posted, and usually a new reply with be announced when you try to reply.  Huh.  Thanks for the heads-up though!

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
« Reply #817 on: September 06, 2011, 10:34:45 AM »

IF that's the case, I'd have to vote for not cannibalism.  Since a merperson's reproductive half is fishy, I'd assume they wouldn't be sexually compatible with humans.  Ariel is a special case, since Triton turned her into a human, and we don't know if they successfully reproduced, anyway.  There's a possibility that merpeople and humans might be able to hybridize through some sort of invitro fertilization, but until we can test that, I'm not counting on it.
Yes we do, they made that sequel-The Little Mermaid II: Return to the Sea. I've never seen it, but Wikipedia says it's about Ariel and Eric's daughter Melody.
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #818 on: September 06, 2011, 10:39:33 AM »
Ah, I forgot there was a sequel.  Either way, her being changed into a human would make her scientifically irrelevant to this particular question, I should think.

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #819 on: September 06, 2011, 10:41:18 AM »

Well that's odd.  I could swear that wasn't there when I posted, and usually a new reply with be announced when you try to reply.  Huh.  Thanks for the heads-up though!

It happens sometimes.  I'm never sure if it's a forum error or mine :)

Mental Magpie

« Reply #820 on: September 06, 2011, 02:41:25 PM »

Partner is replenishing the chicken food at the end of the day. He steps back and stumbles over chicken, spilling food. Chickens go into a bucking, clucking scrum around his prone body trying to get to the food.

When you look up at the loud "get off!" and several squarks, it is not advisable to laugh so hard you have to sit down at a tableu that looks seriously like a flock of chickens who've got your partner down and are now trying to kick him to death. The two standing on his chest and pecking industriously at his beard seemed very determined.

Really, the whole scene was beyond amusing at the time. Partner has stalked off for a shower and fresh clothes and is muttering about roast dinner next week. The chickens look worriedly satisfied.

Your comment about "like a flock of chickens who've got your partner down and are now trying to kick him to death" made me actually laugh out loud.  I just imagined some of them with brass knuckles on their wings, with dark thick mustaches, gold chains around their necks...thank you for the visual!

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #821 on: September 07, 2011, 10:08:55 AM »
Some people eat the placenta after giving birth - is that cannibalism?  I suppose it is, but it's "different" because the placenta would be willing given and doesn't involve death...  I find the idea a bit unpalatable though.

Mental Magpie

« Reply #822 on: September 07, 2011, 10:19:28 AM »
Some people eat the placenta after giving birth - is that cannibalism?  I suppose it is, but it's "different" because the placenta would be willing given and doesn't involve death...  I find the idea a bit unpalatable though.

No; if it was, eating boogers would be cannibalism, too.  A placenta is the product of a body, not a body.

gramma dishes

« Reply #823 on: September 07, 2011, 10:26:20 AM »

No; if it was, eating boogers would be cannibalism, too.  A placenta is the product of a body, not a body.

LOL!   But which is the greater etiquette faux pas?  Eating placenta or eating boogers?   ;D

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #824 on: September 07, 2011, 10:32:07 AM »

LOL!   But which is the greater etiquette faux pas?  Eating placenta or eating boogers?   ;D

Well I guess if you make sure your guests have enough, it's okay...

Sorry, this should probably be in gross-out...