Author Topic: Things that you just should NOT laugh at.  (Read 312543 times)

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
Re: Things that you just should NOT laugh at.
« Reply #855 on: September 10, 2011, 06:59:42 PM »
At a family wedding reception recently, our table was discussing what will happen to my titanium implants when I am cremated. Should it be in my will?

The wedding party were not in on this conversation.

Oh wow, that's a tough one.

The wire that held my stepfather's knee together is in his ashes though. My mom dug it out one day just to reassure herself it really was his ashes. Then she tasted the ashes.

I can only hope she was drunk at the time, because otherwise what does that say for my gene pool?

robobecky

« Reply #856 on: September 10, 2011, 08:51:27 PM »
Kimblee--it was the "Weird things found while househunting" thread in the humor me folder.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #857 on: September 10, 2011, 10:09:04 PM »
At a family wedding reception recently, our table was discussing what will happen to my titanium implants when I am cremated. Should it be in my will?

My metalsmithing teacher had a great hammering stake - round, right size and beautifully polished. We once asked him where we could get similar stakes for ourselves. He answered that it had been a gift from a buddy of his that worked in a crematorium. He had decided it was better not to ask for details.  ??? :o :-X  :o ::)

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #858 on: September 10, 2011, 11:39:12 PM »

My metalsmithing teacher had a great hammering stake - round, right size and beautifully polished. We once asked him where we could get similar stakes for ourselves. He answered that it had been a gift from a buddy of his that worked in a crematorium. He had decided it was better not to ask for details.  ??? :o :-X  :o ::)

So I had best announce plan B. We will salvage the piece, then lottery it off separately. I thought nephew had shown an extraordinary interest at the time.

There were also some leering comments that I might be worth more dead than alive at this point.

It was a lovely wedding, by the way.

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #859 on: September 11, 2011, 12:42:57 AM »

And since my mind thinks implants = fake boobs, I've got a half woman/half robot picture going in my head  ;)

I'm glad it's not just me
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #860 on: September 11, 2011, 12:57:39 AM »
Sorry to disappoint: wrong age group: vertabrae supports.

I do have a friend with two knees and a hip, but she wasn't there.

Now you have me thinking of 7 of 9.

Zenith

• Life's Little Lunatic
« Reply #861 on: September 11, 2011, 12:57:50 AM »

It does beg the question though; what does happen to artificial stuff when you are cremated?. Would it melt in the cremation process or does it get 'reclaimed' for other uses so to speak?.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 02:39:44 AM by Zenith »

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #862 on: September 11, 2011, 11:46:24 AM »
Crematoriums operate at up to 900C, which is way too low to melt most metals (gold melts at around 1000C, for example, and titanium is around 1700C, depending on the alloy) so I would guess that implants survive just fine. I think that they are removed from the ashes by the crematorium, though.

Hazmat

• This Veteran is heavily medicated for your protection
  • How can I miss you if you won't go away?
    • Chronus Is Latin For Time
« Reply #863 on: September 11, 2011, 12:04:29 PM »
Pacemakers need to be removed before cremation.  They have an annoying habit of exploding.
A guest is a jewel on the cushion of hospitality. -Nero Wolfe

Indiana

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #864 on: September 11, 2011, 03:15:07 PM »
My BIL's leg was crushed in a motorcycle accident many years ago. His femur was held together for a year by a titanium rod, which was removed after the bone regrew.

He used it as a jack handle.
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

Animala

• Rowr!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #865 on: September 11, 2011, 06:57:10 PM »
My mother has a rather old dog.  She has cataracts on both eyes which make her nearly blind and is practiaclly deaf.  She also seems to have the ability to go into rigor and stop breathing while she's asleep.  I can't tell you how many times I've come up on her and was positive she was dead.  She's a very sweet tempered dog and not in any pain, but she provides some entertainment.  She walks in to walls and doors (like I do) and occasionally does something spectacular.

Last week she came to the back door and then walked right past it and off the deck.  It's a good six feet up so of course we all thought it would be bad, but when mom got down the dog was walking around just fine.

It's been a week and she's been fine so she's now been dubbed super dog.  That and we've stuck planters around there so she can't go flying again.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #866 on: September 11, 2011, 10:28:18 PM »
My late dog, Ruth, lived to 16. In her last year, she developed Doggie Dementia along with a very slow gait, sort of like Tim Conway doing the Little Old Man.

She would pace into a room, stop, and stare blankly. We developed a whole routine:

"What's the matter? Lost your keys?"
"Ruth?  Where are the invisible gophers?"
"Forgot what you came into the room for, did you?"
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

KimberlyRose

« Reply #867 on: September 11, 2011, 11:52:33 PM »
Pacemakers need to be removed before cremation.  They have an annoying habit of exploding.

Your username makes the fact that you know this both intriguing and worrying.  Alas, I suspect the reality would be a bit more mundane.  :)

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #868 on: September 12, 2011, 01:19:33 AM »

Your username makes the fact that you know this both intriguing and worrying.  Alas, I suspect the reality would be a bit more mundane.  :)

I noticed that, too.  At first it made me laugh; then I thought, maybe Hazmat knows this for all of the wrong reasons.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #869 on: September 12, 2011, 06:06:16 PM »

Your username makes the fact that you know this both intriguing and worrying.
I noticed that, too.  >:D

Our cats are getting on in years; They are sisters born January 1994 which makes them about 17 & 1/2 years old.  Bootsie has arthritis and cataracts, so she moves slowly and doesn't see well.  I give her Hip & Joint treats twice a day before meals.  Last Saturday, I put the treat in front of her paws, as usual.  She looked down, puzzled, then stepped forward, tripping on the tiny treat.

DH & I laughed like loons.  Poor Bootsie; Cats hate it when people laugh at them.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius