Author Topic: Things that you just should NOT laugh at.  (Read 276916 times)

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
Re: Things that you just should NOT laugh at.
« Reply #1440 on: August 11, 2012, 01:01:32 PM »
From the 'Little Good News' thread:

Programs at the library this week have been well attended and have received good evaluations.

Not laughing at either whiterose or her post at all. No, it's the fact that for some reason I keep misreading it as Pogroms at the library this week have been well attended and have received good evaluations, and having split-second moments of wondering what the heck kind of library they're running there... :o

And now I have a silly image of Lenin and Stalin sitting in fancy chairs by the bookcases, watching people run past and saying "Ooo, nice torches, very fiery! Nine out of Ten!"
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1441 on: August 12, 2012, 11:07:32 AM »
another bird flew over and landed one right on her FACE, pretty much on her mouth!

Well, that's what happens when you talk shhhhh....amefully like that.

Mr. Thipu recounts an incident like that. 

At lunch, a friend of his was walking in Central Park with two litigation lawyers.  The lawyers were quite tall and our friend was on the short side. 

Anyone who knows Central Park around Columbus Circle knows about the pigeons. 

On the stroll, the two lawyers got 'blessed' while our friend escaped unscathed.  he decided that yes, there was justice in the world. 

Elisabunny

« Reply #1442 on: September 02, 2012, 06:58:04 PM »
I had a hard time deciding which thread to put this in.

I have been reading some old women's magazines.  One issue had a short piece on making sack lunches more interesting.  Some of the sandwich fillings sounded pretty good.  Then I came to this gem at the end:

"Blend thoroughly equal parts of peanut butter, orange juice, and moist, shredded coconut for a mysterious filling that's sure to be a conversation piece."   :o
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

Reika

« Reply #1443 on: September 02, 2012, 07:50:03 PM »
I had a hard time deciding which thread to put this in.

I have been reading some old women's magazines.  One issue had a short piece on making sack lunches more interesting.  Some of the sandwich fillings sounded pretty good.  Then I came to this gem at the end:

"Blend thoroughly equal parts of peanut butter, orange juice, and moist, shredded coconut for a mysterious filling that's sure to be a conversation piece."   :o

I can how I'd start that conversation, "Mom, are you trying to poison me?" :)

Then again, by the time I was 8 or 9, I was making my own lunches for school.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1444 on: September 02, 2012, 09:08:47 PM »
Today we went to a different church than usual because they were having a Kirkin' of the Tartan ceremony, with bagpipes and people dressed in kilts of their family's patterns.  And as we're sitting there, enjoying the lovely service with pipes and everything, I can't help but think "I wonder if they're going fully traditional in their dress?"* Then I had to make myself think sober thoughts so that I would NOT laugh!

*Traditionally, no knickers are worn under kilts...
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...
« Reply #1445 on: September 02, 2012, 09:49:08 PM »
Today we went to a different church than usual because they were having a Kirkin' of the Tartan ceremony, with bagpipes and people dressed in kilts of their family's patterns.  And as we're sitting there, enjoying the lovely service with pipes and everything, I can't help but think "I wonder if they're going fully traditional in their dress?"* Then I had to make myself think sober thoughts so that I would NOT laugh!

What does a Scotsman wear under his kilt?
Socks. ;)
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1446 on: September 02, 2012, 10:19:39 PM »
LOL! I love it!
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
  • Is it Spring yet?
« Reply #1447 on: September 02, 2012, 10:51:53 PM »
The answer I heard was "prrrride!"

Which, considering the climate of Scotland, seems to be a poor substitute for long woolly underwear.  ;)
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I don't go crazy.  I AM crazy.  I sometimes go normal. 
Please make a note of this for future reference.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #1448 on: September 03, 2012, 08:32:41 AM »
This brings back memories of Oldest Bro's wedding. He wore a kilt, and just had to show people what was underneath. He was wearing undies, but still...
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #1449 on: September 03, 2012, 02:07:29 PM »
The drum major my last two years of high school wore complete Scottish regalia, and he said that at first he didn't understand why people kept asking him what he was wearing under his kilt.  (Soccer shorts, usually.)  Then he found out about what "true Scotsmen" wear under their kilts. 

I tried to find a picture, but the only band pictures I found were for after 1976, when we both graduated.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1450 on: September 03, 2012, 06:03:42 PM »
First time I learned of this was when I went to the Maryland Renfair with my mother.  It was a treat, since it was my last weekend at home before starting my freshman year of college, and one of the few things she was willing to do that was more my thing than hers.

Anyway, one show we sat in on had a guy in a kilt walking a tightrope that happened to be right over our heads.  The announcer joked that if you wanted to see if he was truly wearing the kilt traditionally, just look up if you were in a position to do so. 

Mom said "Don't look up."  I asked why and she whispered that the traditional way was to not wear underwear.  She wasn't looking up either and to this day I suspect that he probably was wearing underwear.

AfleetAlex

• Proud cat mom and Auntie
« Reply #1451 on: September 04, 2012, 03:32:49 PM »
The promoter for our local Scottish festival was a Scot and, in his festive burr, he would say, "People always ask me if anything is worn under the kilt. I tell them everything works just fine!"
I have a chronic case of foot-in-mouth disease.

Madam Pansy

« Reply #1452 on: September 04, 2012, 03:39:39 PM »
We had recruitment this past weekend, and my chapter historically does the worst on campus. Our recruitment chair was giving us a pep speech before we started on Friday saying "since tonight is a blue moon, and they are rare, we want the blue moons of the PNMs"

Took everything to not laugh- I was thinking "well, we do well once in a blue moon, so we should do good then"

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1453 on: September 04, 2012, 03:42:02 PM »
I love the Scottish burr, and when we went to the Kirkin' of the Tartans, one of the liturgical readers was actually Scottish! :) We loved hearing her read.   

But then I've always said that someone who was either Scottish or Irish could read the phone book and I'd be in 7th heaven.  Bonus if it's Johnny Depp with an Irish or Scottish accent, and he has done both! *swoon!*

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #1454 on: September 04, 2012, 04:13:51 PM »

At our annual Scottish Highland Games, the MC often checks as the lads hurl their haggis.