Author Topic: Things that you just should NOT laugh at.  (Read 371677 times)

parrot_girl

Re: Things that you just should NOT laugh at.
« Reply #1530 on: January 02, 2013, 06:17:20 AM »
I have one!
My DS is 16 months and has really hit the trantruming phase. If he is cross, unhappy, frustrated, or his will slighted in any way, he will crouch down and bang his head on the floor. (if he doesn't know how hard the floor surface is, he'll do it very very gently at first, giving the impression that this screeching banshee lunatic toddler is just interrupting this tantrum to pray to Mecca.)
The other day we went to the pool. There is a 50 metre lap pool, 2 metres deep at one end; a children's pool where all the lessons are, about 1 metre deep; and a toddler pool that's 30cm deep at one end and just covers your toes at the other end. DS, of course, toddled straight for the lap pool, the deep end no less, and was OUTRAGED when I scooped him up and took him to the toddler pool. Straight into tantrum mode, yelling, shrieking and going for the "whack my head on the floor" routine.
He got a mouthful of water and sat up coughing and spluttering and sneezing. And then he did it again!
I am a terrible mother, because watching my son half drown himself in the name of completing his tantie was the funniest thing I've seen in months. :D

Shea

« Reply #1531 on: January 02, 2013, 09:25:06 AM »
I have one!
My DS is 16 months and has really hit the trantruming phase. If he is cross, unhappy, frustrated, or his will slighted in any way, he will crouch down and bang his head on the floor. (if he doesn't know how hard the floor surface is, he'll do it very very gently at first, giving the impression that this screeching banshee lunatic toddler is just interrupting this tantrum to pray to Mecca.)
The other day we went to the pool. There is a 50 metre lap pool, 2 metres deep at one end; a children's pool where all the lessons are, about 1 metre deep; and a toddler pool that's 30cm deep at one end and just covers your toes at the other end. DS, of course, toddled straight for the lap pool, the deep end no less, and was OUTRAGED when I scooped him up and took him to the toddler pool. Straight into tantrum mode, yelling, shrieking and going for the "whack my head on the floor" routine.
He got a mouthful of water and sat up coughing and spluttering and sneezing. And then he did it again!
I am a terrible mother, because watching my son half drown himself in the name of completing his tantie was the funniest thing I've seen in months. :D

I don't blame you for laughing! Just reading about it made me laugh so loudly I woke BF. It's okay, he had to get up soon anyway >:D.

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.

Elisabunny

« Reply #1532 on: January 11, 2013, 02:34:56 PM »
A filler article for my newspaper (yes, I still have one) had the headline "Four People Exposed to Rabid Llama."   I know rabies is very serious, but somehow, to me, rabies+llama=incredibly funny.  Especially since the exposure consisted of the llama spitting on them. ;D

You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1533 on: February 02, 2013, 09:30:07 AM »
Warning.  This is long.

Mr. Thipu and his father belonged to a Chinese engineering club.  Every year, they had a long weekend meeting at a hotel.  One year, they met at the Nevele in the Catskills.

For those who don't know it, the Catskills were called the Borscht Belt because it was an area with many resort hotels that had a primarily Jewish clientele.  A common entertainment feature were stand-up comics who would tell jokes in English with the punch line in Yiddish.  This is important.

The engineering club meeting was held in the off season and they had the hotel almost to themselves. After dinner, everyone retreated to the show lounge for the entertainment.  Mr. Thipu and some of the other younger members took a table near the stage.  The dance band plays for a
 while, the crooner sings and then the comic comes out. 

He sees nothing but Asian faces.  At that point, he must have thought, 'I'm doomed' but carried on anyway.  Mr. Thipu and his friends didn't get the Yiddish but they did get the absurdity of the situation and started laughing in sympathy so the performance wasn't a complete fiasco.

Octavia

« Reply #1534 on: February 02, 2013, 11:31:49 AM »
This would probably fit in the Brain-Hurt Thread as well.

Over 10 years ago I regularly worked on construction-related projects in a field office. We all had desktop computers that ran Microsoft Windows. "James," the office manager was also an architect who spend a lot of time on his computer sending e-mails and such. Several months into the project, James complained to the administrative assistant, "Linda," that his computer was running very slowly. He went to lunch while Linda took a look at his computer. She discovered that James had never rebooted his computer since day one, nor had he ever closed a window for a document or an application - he just kept opening more and more windows.  :o

The rest of us were not privy to this until hearing Linda laughing so hard that she was at first too speechless to explain what she had found. Cue uncontrolled laughter from the rest of us. We fortunately regained our composure by the time James returned from lunch, and Linda tried to explain to him how to use Windows. He still did not understand.

Then there was the time James' computer was not working at all, and he asked for help. The problem? The computer's power plug had worked itself loose. We shouldn't have laughed at him behind his back, but it was so hard not to! Now that I'm older and turn to children for tech support with newer electronic devices, I can sympathize with poor James.
"I never explain anything." ~Julie Andrews in Mary Poppins

scansons

« Reply #1535 on: February 02, 2013, 11:51:20 AM »
Warning.  This is long.

Mr. Thipu and his father belonged to a Chinese engineering club.  Every year, they had a long weekend meeting at a hotel.  One year, they met at the Nevele in the Catskills.

For those who don't know it, the Catskills were called the Borscht Belt because it was an area with many resort hotels that had a primarily Jewish clientele.  A common entertainment feature were stand-up comics who would tell jokes in English with the punch line in Yiddish.  This is important.

The engineering club meeting was held in the off season and they had the hotel almost to themselves. After dinner, everyone retreated to the show lounge for the entertainment.  Mr. Thipu and some of the other younger members took a table near the stage.  The dance band plays for a
 while, the crooner sings and then the comic comes out. 

He sees nothing but Asian faces.  At that point, he must have thought, 'I'm doomed' but carried on anyway.  Mr. Thipu and his friends didn't get the Yiddish but they did get the absurdity of the situation and started laughing in sympathy so the performance wasn't a complete fiasco.

LOL  That is funny.  I can totally see that happening in my head.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #1536 on: February 02, 2013, 11:19:06 PM »
So my friends and I are in a chat together talking... when one of them types the following sentence:

"There are cats playing scrabble under my window."*

I laughed like a loon.

*I edited the sentence a bit to make it more ehell friendly.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #1537 on: February 03, 2013, 06:49:34 AM »
My best froend's husband's ex-wife (did you follow that?) is a crazy, toxic, naive woman. When best friend told me this story, I couldn't help but laugh.

Ex-wife served husband with court papers to rearrange the custody agreement. Upon looking over the papers, best friend became suspicious. Why was the attorney's cell phone on there and why did they have to hand write in all the information? Husband called the attorney to inquire. Surprise, surprise, the attorney had never heard of ex-wife nor had anyone else in his firm. The case simply did not exist but in ex-wife's head. Now the attorney is representing husband for free.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

mmswm

« Reply #1538 on: February 03, 2013, 11:32:50 AM »
This would probably fit in the Brain-Hurt Thread as well.

Over 10 years ago I regularly worked on construction-related projects in a field office. We all had desktop computers that ran Microsoft Windows. "James," the office manager was also an architect who spend a lot of time on his computer sending e-mails and such. Several months into the project, James complained to the administrative assistant, "Linda," that his computer was running very slowly. He went to lunch while Linda took a look at his computer. She discovered that James had never rebooted his computer since day one, nor had he ever closed a window for a document or an application - he just kept opening more and more windows.  :o

The rest of us were not privy to this until hearing Linda laughing so hard that she was at first too speechless to explain what she had found. Cue uncontrolled laughter from the rest of us. We fortunately regained our composure by the time James returned from lunch, and Linda tried to explain to him how to use Windows. He still did not understand.

Then there was the time James' computer was not working at all, and he asked for help. The problem? The computer's power plug had worked itself loose. We shouldn't have laughed at him behind his back, but it was so hard not to! Now that I'm older and turn to children for tech support with newer electronic devices, I can sympathize with poor James.

I got my very first smart phone when I was teaching middle school.  It was a Blackberry, back when those were all the rage.  I couldn't figure out most of the features, so I eventually pulled it out during homeroom (8th grade) and asked if any of them knew how to use it and could they teach me.  I had half a dozen volunteers within 10 seconds.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #1539 on: February 03, 2013, 12:41:13 PM »
My best froend's husband's ex-wife (did you follow that?) is a crazy, toxic, naive woman. When best friend told me this story, I couldn't help but laugh.

Ex-wife served husband with court papers to rearrange the custody agreement. Upon looking over the papers, best friend became suspicious. Why was the attorney's cell phone on there and why did they have to hand write in all the information? Husband called the attorney to inquire. Surprise, surprise, the attorney had never heard of ex-wife nor had anyone else in his firm. The case simply did not exist but in ex-wife's head. Now the attorney is representing husband for free.
I worked for a law firm during summers of University. There was a woman that was acting as her own lawyer suing the firm's client. She was given a lot of latitude. She turned in paper work filled out in crayon.

She finally showed up for a deposition with another woman in flowing robes. Everyone thought she had hired a lawyer. During the deposition the 2nd woman reached in the flowing robes and brought out a small stuffed doll and long needles - started chanting and sticking the needles into the doll. Everyone fled the room. The judge threw the case out after that.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Bethczar

« Reply #1540 on: February 03, 2013, 04:43:01 PM »
My Mom recently got a new set of kitchen chairs. They're metal and were lots-of-assembly-required. Mom didn't like the fabric that was covering the seats, so she had my husband leave the seats off of the chair frames until she could find a different fabric for them.

One of Mom's cats likes to jump from the counter top to the fridge, and then will usually jump from the fridge to the chair when it wants to get down. Well, the cat didn't realize that the new chairs don't have seats on them yet. It was like cat basketball. The cat jumped off the fridge, aimed for the chair, and went straight through the empty space where the seat is supposed to go. The look of confusion was priceless.

That reminds me of an incident with our dog.

When I was growing up we had a station wagon. My parents rode in the front seat, us kids in the middle, and the dog in the "trunk". All was well until Dad got a new, smaller, car. When he opened the door to the back seat, our dog scrambled in and tried to jump into the trunk. She bounced right off the back window.

Poor girl, she looked so confused!

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #1541 on: February 04, 2013, 02:00:58 PM »
When we drive home, Jack runs to meet us, we roll down a window and he jumps into the vehicle.

One day I parked and was rummaging in my purse for something, when WHAP! Jack collided with the unrolled-up window.
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...
« Reply #1542 on: February 04, 2013, 02:08:51 PM »
Go to youtube and search for "Puppy vs Mirror". Look for the one with Rambo, a little black and white dustmop. :)
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #1543 on: February 08, 2013, 04:30:05 PM »
So my friends and I are in a chat together talking... when one of them types the following sentence:

I laughed like a loon.

I'm glad you mentioned the edit. Otherwise, I was wondering what the word score was for MROWR.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Nikko-chan

« Reply #1544 on: February 08, 2013, 06:42:15 PM »

I laughed like a loon.

I'm glad you mentioned the edit. Otherwise, I was wondering what the word score was for MROWR.

Thank you Twik.... now my mother is probably wondering why I am laughing like a loon.