Author Topic: Things that you just should NOT laugh at.  (Read 314836 times)

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: Things that you just should NOT laugh at.
« Reply #1650 on: May 20, 2013, 01:43:27 PM »
They named the cat something from "To Kill a Mockingbird"? I suspect the cat is going to feel its hunting prowess must be exhibited.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

StarDrifter

• I never tell people exactly how smart I am
« Reply #1651 on: May 21, 2013, 05:48:19 AM »
Baby Jolinar, when she's crying.

I mean, she's a month old, but when she gets herself worked up (usually over a smelly nappy) and refuses to be calmed by anything but a bottle... which won't be ready for another minute or so... she cries one long wail until she's completely out of breath and kind of peters out, getting  quieter and quieter until she kind of croaks at the end of it and sucks in a massive breath and gets distracted breathing, calms herself a bit and after about 20 or 30 seconds seems to remember that she was upset about something and starts to cry again.
... it might frighten them.
Victoria,

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1652 on: May 21, 2013, 08:24:05 AM »
This isn't really awful but it was funny in a strange way.

Some years ago, the Museum was receiving lot of checks that bounced.  One day, when I went to Financial to deposit some checks we had received, I was called into the office by a Supervisor.  There was nothing wrong with me but the Supervisor had a binder with copies of bounced checks.  She wanted me to go through them and identify any that had come to us. 

I did so and found none.  What I did find was that almost a dozen of the bad checks were written by the Supervisor's own son who also worked at the Museum. 

You are very tempted to laugh at the irony of that.   

Seven Ate Nine

« Reply #1653 on: May 21, 2013, 06:17:03 PM »
I was at Sam's Club the other day, and there was a lady there - probably in her 60s - who was obviously not all there mentally.  She was with a caretaker, and they were doing their shopping.  I wouldn't have noticed them at all except that the lady would yell occasionally.  I was ringing my stuff up at the self checkout when they came over to the other self checkout lane, and the caretaker said something along the lines of "Let's check out here" and the lady shouted "NO! NO! NO!"  This would not have been funny at all, except that something about her voice made me hear the old lady from The Princess Bride shouting "Boo!  Boo!"  I refrained from laughing, but inwardly I was quite amused.

On another note, this morning I logged into Facebook and saw that my "suggested post" said "Hormones are preventing your weight loss."  I'm seven months pregnant, of course they are!

Ereine

« Reply #1654 on: May 26, 2013, 10:51:50 PM »
I was reading Amazon reviews for a book and a sentence in a glowing review made me laugh: "They are truly gifted authors who deserve some notoriety."

audhs

« Reply #1655 on: May 27, 2013, 01:54:38 AM »
This would probably fit in the Brain-Hurt Thread as well.

Over 10 years ago I regularly worked on construction-related projects in a field office. We all had desktop computers that ran Microsoft Windows. "James," the office manager was also an architect who spend a lot of time on his computer sending e-mails and such. Several months into the project, James complained to the administrative assistant, "Linda," that his computer was running very slowly. He went to lunch while Linda took a look at his computer. She discovered that James had never rebooted his computer since day one, nor had he ever closed a window for a document or an application - he just kept opening more and more windows.  :o

The rest of us were not privy to this until hearing Linda laughing so hard that she was at first too speechless to explain what she had found. Cue uncontrolled laughter from the rest of us. We fortunately regained our composure by the time James returned from lunch, and Linda tried to explain to him how to use Windows. He still did not understand.

Then there was the time James' computer was not working at all, and he asked for help. The problem? The computer's power plug had worked itself loose. We shouldn't have laughed at him behind his back, but it was so hard not to! Now that I'm older and turn to children for tech support with newer electronic devices, I can sympathize with poor James.

I got my very first smart phone when I was teaching middle school.  It was a Blackberry, back when those were all the rage.  I couldn't figure out most of the features, so I eventually pulled it out during homeroom (8th grade) and asked if any of them knew how to use it and could they teach me.  I had half a dozen volunteers within 10 seconds.

I helped out in my oldest dd's class last year taping the kids reading on the computer. We were having trouble setting it up but thought that we'd fixed it.  It turns out we didn't get it right, so half of them didn't tape. No one could figure out why some worked and others didn't.  I had to leave before they get it fixed so next time I saw the teacher I asked if everything got straitened out.  The techer says oh yes we did we got one of the fourth graders to come down and fix the problem.   ;).

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1656 on: June 07, 2013, 06:52:38 AM »
My cat Izzy is a tripod; he had his left front leg removed.  I know I shouldn't laugh when he uses the litter box, balances on the remaining leg, and tries to "dig" with his stump waving madly.

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #1657 on: June 07, 2013, 01:40:37 PM »
My cat Izzy is a tripod; he had his left front leg removed.  I know I shouldn't laugh when he uses the litter box, balances on the remaining leg, and tries to "dig" with his stump waving madly.
Thanks for starting my morning off with a chuckle.  I can just see him in my mind's eye.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #1658 on: June 07, 2013, 11:06:16 PM »
Today DH had an doctor's appointment that required that he be sedated.

The staff called me in when he started to wake up and asked me to talk with him and help him wake up.

The resulting conversations were pretty amusing, since they mostly consisted of him waking up, asking a few questions and dozing off. Then he'd wake up and ask the same questions. Lather, rise, repeat. :D

So I read to him, chatted a bit and gently kept waking him up.
We were joking around about how he was pretty loopy and how I could ask him anything.

The conversation went like this:

"So how many wives do you have?"
Groggily, "Thousands."  ;D

"And how many girlfriends do you have?"
"Thousands..."  ;D

It was pretty funny. But even better is that DH has absolutely no recollection of the conversation.  >:D
Yeah, I'm not going to let him forget it.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1659 on: June 08, 2013, 11:21:20 AM »
I cracked up when my bff once remarked that she hadn't talked to me until after returning home when she had her gallbladder surgery.

Because you see she had called me upon returning from her room, raving and just about waxing poetically about how much she loved anesthesia and oh how she didn't know what she'd been so worried about cause this was great!  (she'd never had it before, it was her first surgery she'd ever had) But of course since she was still heavily under the influence of the anesthesia she didn't remember talking to me at all. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Snooks

« Reply #1660 on: June 08, 2013, 01:16:50 PM »
DH just licked my face in an attempt to annoy me, unfortunately for him I've just got home from a facial and I'm still covered in whatever lotions and potions they used on me.  The look on his face was priceless, as was him running to the sink to try and get the taste out of his mouth.

greencat

« Reply #1661 on: June 08, 2013, 09:01:08 PM »
My laser-cat is defective.  Her water-avoidance module has deactivated.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #1662 on: June 09, 2013, 11:52:46 AM »
My laser-cat is defective.  Her water-avoidance module has deactivated.

This needs to go in "Cuteliness Near Misses."
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #1663 on: June 10, 2013, 12:40:28 PM »
I cracked up when my bff once remarked that she hadn't talked to me until after returning home when she had her gallbladder surgery.

Because you see she had called me upon returning from her room, raving and just about waxing poetically about how much she loved anesthesia and oh how she didn't know what she'd been so worried about cause this was great!  (she'd never had it before, it was her first surgery she'd ever had) But of course since she was still heavily under the influence of the anesthesia she didn't remember talking to me at all. 
DP, when she was coming out of the medically induced coma they had her in for 40+ days, was similar, but for an extended period. We have talked at length, and I think we've come down to about a three week period that *I* thought she was awake, but she can't remember. We didn't have a lot of conversations, per say, since she was still on the ventilator, but there were a few dozen really hysterical stories that I've told her that she won't believe me on, because she swears she wasn't awake then. One notable one was when someone came in and muttered loudly that "Rebecca sure made a mess of these lines.", meaning her night nurse. DP got so indignant, and actually SNORTED over her ventilator to get their attention, until the nurse clarified that she didn't mean *her* Rebecca, but the nurse. That one was still making the rounds in the ICU a month later when I went down to get some copies of some paperwork.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #1664 on: June 10, 2013, 01:53:43 PM »

DP, when she was coming out of the medically induced coma they had her in for 40+ days, was similar, but for an extended period. We have talked at length, and I think we've come down to about a three week period that *I* thought she was awake, but she can't remember. We didn't have a lot of conversations, per say, since she was still on the ventilator, but there were a few dozen really hysterical stories that I've told her that she won't believe me on, because she swears she wasn't awake then. One notable one was when someone came in and muttered loudly that "Rebecca sure made a mess of these lines.", meaning her night nurse. DP got so indignant, and actually SNORTED over her ventilator to get their attention, until the nurse clarified that she didn't mean *her* Rebecca, but the nurse. That one was still making the rounds in the ICU a month later when I went down to get some copies of some paperwork.

Your DP is awesome.