Author Topic: Things that you just should NOT laugh at.  (Read 325485 times)

greencat

Re: Things that you just should NOT laugh at.
« Reply #1740 on: November 26, 2013, 07:21:04 PM »
My neighbors start constructing what I can only loosely term a "nativity" scene in their FRONT yard around Halloween.

Entertaining features include:

Wicker furniture, sans cushions/glass toppers
A mulched path
An 18" high "fence" made of log sections with pointy-tipped fence boards wedged between them
Randomly placed haybales
A laundry line with baby clothes
A small pile of random plastic vegetables
An assortment of random animal lawn ornaments including but not limited to:
  • A Black-and-white Cow
  • Canadian Geese
  • A Giraffe
A wheelbarrow
Life-sized statues of Joseph, Mary, and...some dude.  Maybe a Wise Man?  The two male figures are right on the edge of the road and I thought they were real people when I first drove past them in the dark.  Mary, however, is turned so that she faces the front wall of the house.

I will take pictures of the insanity and post them closer to Christmas - I don't think they're done yet.

exitzero

« Reply #1741 on: November 27, 2013, 09:23:55 AM »
My neighbors start constructing what I can only loosely term a "nativity" scene in their FRONT yard around Halloween.

Entertaining features include:

Wicker furniture, sans cushions/glass toppers
A mulched path
An 18" high "fence" made of log sections with pointy-tipped fence boards wedged between them
Randomly placed haybales
A laundry line with baby clothes
A small pile of random plastic vegetables
An assortment of random animal lawn ornaments including but not limited to:
  • A Black-and-white Cow
  • Canadian Geese
  • A Giraffe
A wheelbarrow
Life-sized statues of Joseph, Mary, and...some dude.  Maybe a Wise Man?  The two male figures are right on the edge of the road and I thought they were real people when I first drove past them in the dark.  Mary, however, is turned so that she faces the front wall of the house.

I will take pictures of the insanity and post them closer to Christmas - I don't think they're done yet.

This sounds AWESOME! I love the touch of the baby clothes, 'cause kinda makes sense, you know?

greencat

« Reply #1742 on: November 27, 2013, 12:11:10 PM »
It might sound awesome, but it just looks insane.  Especially because it seems like it's something they're just adding random things to instead of a planned out decoration.  Here.  Have some insanity!

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #1743 on: November 27, 2013, 12:48:13 PM »

You need to add three boats with Lord of the Rings action figures between those front two guys.
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult); Zuul (F); Magpie (M); Balrog (M); Nazgul (F)

Margo

« Reply #1744 on: November 27, 2013, 01:32:14 PM »
Some years ago I was visiting my grandmother, and brought my cat with me.  More than once over the course of the visit he misjudged the jump to come in through the (open) window. We'd be sitting inside, hear a thump and look up in time to see him bounce of the window...

We tried opening a different window for him, but despite being shown where it was, and going *out* through it quite happily, he kept on trying to come through the other one, and bouncing off it. And looking so indignant every single time.

We never did work out why that window gave him so much trouble.

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #1745 on: November 27, 2013, 08:52:32 PM »
In my previous house, the cats used the unscreened opened windows for access all the time.

Then I finally got security screens...

Poor cats would try to jump through the window, and boing!!! bounce off back into the garden. 

The looks on their faces was priceless!  Even funnier if there was human laughter involved.

They did learn to use the cat flaps after a while, but still occasionally forgot, and Boing!!!!!

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #1746 on: November 28, 2013, 04:26:41 AM »

greencat, i  wish i was your neighbor.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #1747 on: November 28, 2013, 08:09:36 AM »
My rottweiler-border collie mix used to bound over the chain link fence (maybe about 4' high) from essentially a stand still.  To stop this, I wove dowel rods through a small section of the post then put chicken wire over the top, making the fence taller.  It was funny to see him try to jump the fence for the first time, bounce off the chicken wire, then stare it down like he was going to kill it.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

snowfire

« Reply #1748 on: November 28, 2013, 02:19:01 PM »
At our old house there was an opening high in the basement wall that led to a crawlspace under what had been a back porch but was now the back of the dining room.  My GM had hung curtains over it as a cover but it was still accessible.  When I had to crawl in there for some reason I discovered that one of the cats had been using it for his litterbox.  Much swearing ensued as I crawled out and went for the plastic bags and pooper scooper to clean it up. 

After I was sure that I had cleaned it up I took my heavy duty staple gun and stapled a couple of sheets of cardboard over the opening.  This cardboard was completely hidden by the curtains.  I was nice, though.  I moved an old sofa over to that wall so that when the inevitable "leap, thud, splat" happened, Big Red would land on the sofa instead of the concrete floor. 

I can't remember how many attempts it took for him to realize that his personal potty was permanently closed, but he wore a perpetual "what the heck???" expression for a couple of weeks.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #1749 on: November 28, 2013, 07:13:35 PM »
I'm really not seeing how wicker furniture comes into the Nativity Story.   :o
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1750 on: November 28, 2013, 07:15:36 PM »

Maybe the cows ate the furniture since their hay was being used for other purposes?

greencat

« Reply #1751 on: November 29, 2013, 12:15:18 AM »
The nativity scene now plays music!

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #1752 on: November 29, 2013, 12:08:12 PM »

Maybe the cows ate the furniture since their hay was being used for other purposes?

Maybe they represent rest stops on the way to Bethlehem?
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #1753 on: November 29, 2013, 12:33:50 PM »

MESSIAH
Next Right

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1754 on: November 29, 2013, 01:05:42 PM »

MESSIAH
Next Right

;D ;D ;D  That made me laugh out loud!!