Author Topic: Things that you just should NOT laugh at.  (Read 369831 times)

Jones

Re: Things that you just should NOT laugh at.
« Reply #1785 on: December 14, 2013, 05:57:52 PM »
I feel like a horrible person for this, but I laughed when my cousin posted this picture a while back.

Dog On Left had pushed Dog On Right out a window. Dog On Right wanted an acknowledgement of wrongdoing and an apology....

Dog on Right is fine now.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #1786 on: December 14, 2013, 06:32:24 PM »
~~Author's note:  I have no children.  I have cats instead.  This is based on what I've read about child development, and what I vaguely remember about my own very young childhood, and what I've seen my friends with kids going through.~~

Part of the process of developing a sense of self as separate from one's environment is developing a gender identity based on what they've gathered from their environment.  Ascribing masculine and feminine traits to things which are not inherently gendered is part of that process - I still remember the awkward conversation that ensued when I witnessed cats engaging in reproductive processes and was very confused, because I was clear on the fact that making babies needed both a boy and a girl, but for some reason I had developed the idea that all cats were girls and all dogs were boys.  I really don't know how that happened but it seems to be a fairly common misconception in the pre-kindergarten crowd.

Actually, that assumption almost certainly belongs in the things you shouldn't laugh at category.  My mom may have chortled through the explanation that cats come in both boy and girl models and so do dogs.

I was once told a story about a little girl who was convinced that when she grew up she'd turn into a boy.  She was quite looking forward to it.

A friend of mine wanted to be a puppy when she grew up.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1787 on: December 14, 2013, 08:56:22 PM »
~~Author's note:  I have no children.  I have cats instead.  This is based on what I've read about child development, and what I vaguely remember about my own very young childhood, and what I've seen my friends with kids going through.~~

Part of the process of developing a sense of self as separate from one's environment is developing a gender identity based on what they've gathered from their environment.  Ascribing masculine and feminine traits to things which are not inherently gendered is part of that process - I still remember the awkward conversation that ensued when I witnessed cats engaging in reproductive processes and was very confused, because I was clear on the fact that making babies needed both a boy and a girl, but for some reason I had developed the idea that all cats were girls and all dogs were boys.  I really don't know how that happened but it seems to be a fairly common misconception in the pre-kindergarten crowd.

Actually, that assumption almost certainly belongs in the things you shouldn't laugh at category.  My mom may have chortled through the explanation that cats come in both boy and girl models and so do dogs.

I was once told a story about a little girl who was convinced that when she grew up she'd turn into a boy.  She was quite looking forward to it.

A friend of mine wanted to be a puppy when she grew up.
And reportedly, the current Queen Elizabeth wanted to be a horse.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #1788 on: December 15, 2013, 04:13:37 PM »
My brother wanted to be an airport.
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1789 on: December 15, 2013, 09:13:45 PM »
:o   I can understand that some kids might want to be another gender/animal -- but an airport?  That's like wanting to be the Empire State building.
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #1790 on: December 15, 2013, 09:14:46 PM »

Ms_Cellany? Your brother is awesome.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #1791 on: December 15, 2013, 10:22:48 PM »

He is. He grew up instead to be a professor of Buddhism.
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #1792 on: December 16, 2013, 02:17:24 AM »

And now he can be one with everything - including airports.  Sounds like an inspired choice  ;D

(Okay, okay, I realize that was a bit flippant about a very real religion, but the joke just begged to be made!)

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #1793 on: December 16, 2013, 06:58:24 AM »
This morning I stepped on a cool, squishy something.  I have cats.  I have cats that hunt.  My mind immediately went to, "Oh my Deity! I bet I'm standing on a dead lizard or salamander."  I didn't want to look.

Slowly, I lifted my foot off, pleased that whatever it was didn't stick to the bottom of my foot.  It was BRIGHT neon green.  Sweet monkey fritters!?!  I didn't have my glasses on yet and couldn't fathom what critter could be that color.  So, I go hunt down my glasses to investigate the squishy green thing and discovered I was totally freaking out over a soft foam earplug.   :P
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

cwm

« Reply #1794 on: December 16, 2013, 10:40:31 AM »

Cousins of my mom, they were about 5 and 3 when they were asked what they wanted to be when they grew up. 5YO said she wanted to be a babysitter. 3YO said she wanted to be diarrhea.

My uncle wanted to be a table.

missanpan

« Reply #1795 on: December 16, 2013, 10:44:20 AM »

And now he can be one with everything - including airports.  Sounds like an inspired choice  ;D

(Okay, okay, I realize that was a bit flippant about a very real religion, but the joke just begged to be made!)

Don't worry - I am Buddhist and that had me cracking up!

Midnight Kitty

• The Queen of Sludge
    • The Stoddard's Hale
« Reply #1796 on: December 16, 2013, 03:33:15 PM »
I feel like a horrible person for this, but I laughed when my cousin posted this picture a while back.

Dog On Left had pushed Dog On Right out a window. Dog On Right wanted an acknowledgement of wrongdoing and an apology....

Dog on Right certainly has that expression on its face - Are you NUTS? Why did you push me? What did I ever do to you?

I am relieved to hear that Dog On Right is fine - now - but it looks like 2 broken legs.  If I were Dog on Left, I wouldn't stand at the top of any staircases when Dog On Right is around, at least for awhile.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit.  The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are."

Marcus Aurelius

nuit93

« Reply #1797 on: December 16, 2013, 04:05:28 PM »

Dog on Right certainly has that expression on its face - Are you NUTS? Why did you push me? What did I ever do to you?

I am relieved to hear that Dog On Right is fine - now - but it looks like 2 broken legs.  If I were Dog on Left, I wouldn't stand at the top of any staircases when Dog On Right is around, at least for awhile.

Dog on Left's face seems to be saying "I regret NOTHING".

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #1798 on: December 16, 2013, 06:44:41 PM »

Dog on Left's face seems to be saying "I regret NOTHING".

To me, it says "I know why you're upset, I would be too.  But it wasn't me.  I know it LOOKED like me, but I don't know who that was.  Seriously.  Stop looking at me like that.  STOP IT!"

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1799 on: December 17, 2013, 11:03:57 AM »
For a few years I worked with a woman who was both slim and petite.  She also suffered greatly from the damp cold we get in Winter. 

She bought a massive down coat that covered her to the ankles.  It was channel-quilted and had a pointed hood.  It was also pea-green in color. 

From the back, she looked exactly like the caterpillar from 'Alice in wonderland'.