Author Topic: Things that you just should NOT laugh at.  (Read 332106 times)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: Things that you just should NOT laugh at.
« Reply #2010 on: July 22, 2014, 05:08:11 PM »
I admit I know nothing about hens, so the idea that they like marshmallows made me laugh. The things you learn!  ;D

It would be even more humorous if they were marshmallow Peeps...
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

mmswm

« Reply #2011 on: July 22, 2014, 05:36:37 PM »
Grossout warning on this one for those of you who don't like insects . . .

The girls and I are visiting my parents this week.  Yesterday Dad and I took Babybartfast out fishing (by canoe) - her first time.  She got sick of fishing halfway through and proceeded to name all the worms (waxworms, actually - little white caterpillars) and declare they're her "new best friends" and they all love her very much.  Then yesterday evening she demanded to be allowed to read them a bedtime story and sing them a good-night song before putting them back in "their room", i.e. the spare fridge.  Today she spent a good hour playing with them on the front porch.  (My strict "no insects intentionally in the house" rule extends to grandparents' homes . . .)

The fun part: I went up to change into pajamas tonight and discovered that a) Babybartfast had left her discarded shorts on my bed, and b) SHE HAD WORMS IN HER POCKETS.  Now in my sheets.

Yeah, I changed those sheets fast and checked VERY thoroughly for any escapees.  Luckily waxworms are dry and not really all that gross.  My parents are the ones laughing the most, though, because apparently I used to bring home similar "surprises" all the time when I was Babybartfast's age . . .

When my boys were preschool/early elementary school age I had to make them turn out their pockets at the front door to make sure there were no worms or other new "pets" coming in the house.

Also, I have a little brother a few months younger than my youngest.  One day my brother and my youngest were outside playing (read worm hunting).  They were about 5 years old.  Anyway, suddenly, my brother comes in the house shouting "Look, mmswm!  Look at the really big worm I found."  I looked over, sighed, and told him to get the snake out of my house.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #2012 on: July 22, 2014, 05:51:16 PM »
I admit I know nothing about hens, so the idea that they like marshmallows made me laugh. The things you learn!  ;D

It would be even more humorous if they were marshmallow Peeps...

Oh, it's too bad Peeps are out of season. That would be too good.
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult);  Balrog (M); Magpie (M); Zuul (F); Nazgul (F)

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #2013 on: July 22, 2014, 05:52:19 PM »

They're also insanely fond of bananas. We give them our overripe ones. They do a feeding frenzy, then daintily wipe their beaks on the straw.
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult);  Balrog (M); Magpie (M); Zuul (F); Nazgul (F)

JoW

« Reply #2014 on: July 23, 2014, 10:44:34 PM »
We had a near crisis at my health club this evening.  My odd talent - I can yell such that someone on the far side of the room can understand what I said - saved the day.

I yelled "Wrong Way.  That's the Men's Locker Room".   I was taking a water aerobics class at the time.  Just about scared the instructor and the rest of the class out of their skins.  But I kept Miss Wrong Way from strolling into the wrong locker room. 

ScubaGirl

« Reply #2015 on: July 24, 2014, 01:53:08 PM »
A few years ago I took an early morning exercise class.  I'd have to hurry after class to get cleaned up in order to be to work on time.  I scurried across the hall and opened the locker room door.  I was puzzled that something seemed different with the layout then saw the backside of a totally nude man.  My first thought was "what is a man doing in the woman's locker room!" followed immediately by the truth.  I wheeled around and out the door (I'm sure he didn't know I was there).  I beat a haste retreat to the woman's locker room door but not before another woman (in her 70s) saw me.  She stopped, looked at me, looked at the men's door, looked back to me and started laughing.  I was so embarrassed I just quickly disappeared.  I was so embarrassed I couldn't even bring myself to tell DH until the next day. 

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #2016 on: July 24, 2014, 02:11:08 PM »
One day I as in my classroom and heard a scream from the pod - 2 screams high pitched.

I stick my head out. An imp from another class had brought a snake to school and it got lose in the hall. I grabbed a box and picked up the snake, stuck it in the box (I'm always use a box because I'm afraid of hurting the animal), and marched the imp out with me. I let it go near a drainage ditch at the back of the play ground. The whole time I was lecturing him about how he wouldn't want some space alien picking him up from the bus stop and taking him to space school in his pocket. Before we went back in - I made him turn out his pockets and let another snake go.

My lecture didn't take. We had a couple of repeats. Finally I went to the person who greeted kids coming off the buses. He had the kid turn out his pockets every morning and free the snakes.

I also got phone calls from the teacher across the breezeway, repeatedly to come free her and her kids. Many different animals liked to sleep on the cool concrete just out side her door. The ironic part was - she wasn't scared of them. If she was outside the room and found them she would move them herself. She was afraid of hurting them by opening the door.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

greencat

« Reply #2017 on: July 24, 2014, 08:03:49 PM »
Once when I was at my high school on the weekend working on a project a red-tailed hawk flew in through the central courtyard...and then flew into one of the interior hallways.  We had to send someone around the building to open the doors on the other end to let him out.

I probably shouldn't laugh at this - I was attempting to get a shot of Coffee Bean resisting my attempts to liberate my towel from under her and ended up getting her mid-yawn instead:

Reika

« Reply #2018 on: July 24, 2014, 08:18:32 PM »
It looks more like Coffee Bean is laughing at you and saying, "Nice try, silly ooman!" ;)

greencat

« Reply #2019 on: July 24, 2014, 08:27:12 PM »
It looks more like Coffee Bean is laughing at you and saying, "Nice try, silly ooman!" ;)

She has been taking lessons in human ownership from my Princess.  Previous lessons have included "Who sleeps on the pillow?  Hint:  it is not the human" and "Occupation of laps: whenever the human stops moving."

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #2020 on: July 31, 2014, 11:36:10 PM »
I will preface this by saying that although she is in pain, she is OK and is also shaking her head at herself.

It is Thursday; I am getting married on Tuesday. Now, I understand that life doesn't stop just because I'm getting married, but when you're accident prone, 58, and not as spry as you were 30 years ago, you probably shouldn't jump on a pogostick.

When my aunt called to tell me that she was currently sitting in the ER with my mom, all I could do was laugh. My mom broke the thumb on the same hand 1.5 years ago doin something equally irresponsible and the pinky on that hand 1.5 years before that. At this rate, she's not going to have a left hand in 3 years.

I did go slightly bridezilla and demand that she get a cast to match my wedding colors. When she told me no I told her that she knows the floors are out to get her and she will accept the consequences. She laughed and agreed. (This was all in good fun teasing; it is a staple of our relationship.)
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Softly Spoken

• "I am a hawk on a cliff..."
« Reply #2021 on: August 02, 2014, 05:17:45 PM »
I will preface this by saying that although she is in pain, she is OK and is also shaking her head at herself.

It is Thursday; I am getting married on Tuesday. Now, I understand that life doesn't stop just because I'm getting married, but when you're accident prone, 58, and not as spry as you were 30 years ago, you probably shouldn't jump on a pogostick.

When my aunt called to tell me that she was currently sitting in the ER with my mom, all I could do was laugh. My mom broke the thumb on the same hand 1.5 years ago doin something equally irresponsible and the pinky on that hand 1.5 years before that. At this rate, she's not going to have a left hand in 3 years.

I did go slightly bridezilla and demand that she get a cast to match my wedding colors. When she told me no I told her that she knows the floors are out to get her and she will accept the consequences. She laughed and agreed. (This was all in good fun teasing; it is a staple of our relationship.)

I allowed myself to cackle like a fiend at this, if only because you prefaced your story with the reassurance that your mother is alright. Youtube will gladly inform you that agile, young and perfectly spry individuals do far worse on a regular basis. ;)

I also have to say that even if it didn't end the way she envisioned, I think your mom is pretty awesome for trying! :)
"... for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-William Shakespeare

"We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't."  ~Frank A. Clark

snowfire

« Reply #2022 on: August 03, 2014, 06:40:13 PM »
I think Mental Magpie's mom must be related to a friend of ours. 

He had been commuting to work on his skateboard & he fell off it and hurt his ankle.  He called the doctor to see if he could get in that afternoon to have it looked at.  The receptionist asked "And how old are you, sonny?"  You could practically hear the  :o when he replied "48".  It turned out to be just a bad sprain, fortunately.

*He only lived about 2 miles from his office & he loved to skateboard, what can I say? He is also the same guy who had a royal hissy fit when the doctor told him he couldn't use his welder because it would interfere with his pacemaker. 

Elisabunny

« Reply #2023 on: August 03, 2014, 11:28:55 PM »
To add to the stories of People Old Enough to Know Better, my grandmother decided to try roller skating when she was about 60.  She ended up breaking both wrists.  My mother and I still wonder what she was thinking, because that was not something we ever would have guessed she would do.
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2024 on: August 04, 2014, 10:52:07 AM »
To add to the stories of People Old Enough to Know Better, my grandmother decided to try roller skating when she was about 60.  She ended up breaking both wrists.  My mother and I still wonder what she was thinking, because that was not something we ever would have guessed she would do.

My mom is 70 and roller skates with my sister and me and her grandkids all the time!  That sucks that your grandma was injured but I don't think (absent some other reason) age is a reason to not do fun things!