Author Topic: Things that you just should NOT laugh at.  (Read 342276 times)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: Things that you just should NOT laugh at.
« Reply #2025 on: August 04, 2014, 12:02:38 PM »
It's the trying it for the first time at that age that's the issue, I think.  If you already know how to skate, age isn't the same factor.  But the older we get, the less we bounce when we hit the deck.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Xandraea

« Reply #2026 on: August 04, 2014, 08:10:57 PM »
To add to the stories of People Old Enough to Know Better, my grandmother decided to try roller skating when she was about 60.  She ended up breaking both wrists.  My mother and I still wonder what she was thinking, because that was not something we ever would have guessed she would do.

My mom is 70 and roller skates with my sister and me and her grandkids all the time!  That sucks that your grandma was injured but I don't think (absent some other reason) age is a reason to not do fun things!

Agreed, though trying something new and athletic for the first time might be better done with proper safety gear!

Was I the only one thinking, "60 isn't old!"

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #2027 on: August 04, 2014, 09:25:44 PM »
To add to the stories of People Old Enough to Know Better, my grandmother decided to try roller skating when she was about 60.  She ended up breaking both wrists.  My mother and I still wonder what she was thinking, because that was not something we ever would have guessed she would do.

My mom is 70 and roller skates with my sister and me and her grandkids all the time!  That sucks that your grandma was injured but I don't think (absent some other reason) age is a reason to not do fun things!

Agreed, though trying something new and athletic for the first time might be better done with proper safety gear!

I think it's kind of important to know whether  60 year old GM had ever skated before. It's not a recreational activity I would suggest at that age for a novice since a lot of falling generally occurs in the learning process (not because I think 60 is old, but because the risk of injury and breaking bones increases the older you are) .  A seasoned skater, I really wouldn't bat an eye at.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2028 on: August 05, 2014, 10:00:37 AM »

Nope!  I don't even consider my mom at 70 "old!" Although I suppose some people are "old" at 30 and some are "young" at 90.

Xandraea

« Reply #2029 on: August 07, 2014, 02:34:00 AM »

Nope!  I don't even consider my mom at 70 "old!" Although I suppose some people are "old" at 30 and some are "young" at 90.

I just found this today and it seems appropriate to leave here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjHnWz3EyHs

StarDrifter

• I never tell people exactly how smart I am
« Reply #2030 on: August 07, 2014, 04:47:36 AM »
Probably shouldn't be laughing at my child as she puts an (empty) honey bucket on her head and proceeds to run into the walls.
But it's dingdangity funny!
... it might frighten them.
Victoria,

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #2031 on: August 07, 2014, 08:30:08 PM »
Ella the puppy had her hooded coat on.  The hood fell over her eyes.  Guess who ran bang smack into the wall at full pelt?  I so tried not to laugh.  The look on her face was priceless! 

[No harm was done to either pup or wall.]

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2032 on: August 08, 2014, 03:12:48 PM »

I just found this today and it seems appropriate to leave here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjHnWz3EyHs

Fantastic.  Thank you for sharing this!

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #2033 on: August 08, 2014, 03:50:05 PM »
I will preface this by saying that although she is in pain, she is OK and is also shaking her head at herself.

It is Thursday; I am getting married on Tuesday. Now, I understand that life doesn't stop just because I'm getting married, but when you're accident prone, 58, and not as spry as you were 30 years ago, you probably shouldn't jump on a pogostick.

When my aunt called to tell me that she was currently sitting in the ER with my mom, all I could do was laugh. My mom broke the thumb on the same hand 1.5 years ago doin something equally irresponsible and the pinky on that hand 1.5 years before that. At this rate, she's not going to have a left hand in 3 years.

I did go slightly bridezilla and demand that she get a cast to match my wedding colors. When she told me no I told her that she knows the floors are out to get her and she will accept the consequences. She laughed and agreed. (This was all in good fun teasing; it is a staple of our relationship.)

I allowed myself to cackle like a fiend at this, if only because you prefaced your story with the reassurance that your mother is alright. Youtube will gladly inform you that agile, young and perfectly spry individuals do far worse on a regular basis. ;)

I also have to say that even if it didn't end the way she envisioned, I think your mom is pretty awesome for trying! :)

It really even wasn't the pogosticking that did it, it was losing her balance on the dismount.  She's getting surgery as I type.  I don't blame her for trying, but people didn't believe her when she told them!  My sister isn't too happy with her, but I told her to not be surprised that our mother never grew up...
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2034 on: August 08, 2014, 05:43:53 PM »

...  It really even wasn't the pogosticking that did it, it was losing her balance on the dismount.  She's getting surgery as I type.  I don't blame her for trying, but people didn't believe her when she told them!  My sister isn't too happy with her, but I told her to not be surprised that our mother never grew up...

When you're young and healthy and spry you don't want to take too many chances of hurting yourself because you've got little kids to take care of or a job to go to and you need the income.  When you've reached Grandma age, you're a little more willing to take a few chances because people aren't relying on you in the same way. 

Think of it as making up for lost time.  Now's the time to have all the fun you missed out on in your twenties and thirties because you were being a 'responsible adult' - or in your childhood because you didn't have a pogo stick then.   ;)

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #2035 on: August 08, 2014, 05:52:04 PM »

...  It really even wasn't the pogosticking that did it, it was losing her balance on the dismount.  She's getting surgery as I type.  I don't blame her for trying, but people didn't believe her when she told them!  My sister isn't too happy with her, but I told her to not be surprised that our mother never grew up...

When you're young and healthy and spry you don't want to take too many chances of hurting yourself because you've got little kids to take care of or a job to go to and you need the income.  When you've reached Grandma age, you're a little more willing to take a few chances because people aren't relying on you in the same way. 

Think of it as making up for lost time.  Now's the time to have all the fun you missed out on in your twenties and thirties because you were being a 'responsible adult' - or in your childhood because you didn't have a pogo stick then.   ;)

I get that for other people, but not so much for my mom.  She learned to ride horses at 45, started riding four wheelers at 50...she never stopped having fun just because she had kids; that's why my sister shouldn't be surprised, that's all :)  I certainly wasn't surprised she got on a pogostick.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2036 on: August 08, 2014, 08:30:06 PM »

Oh, my! First time disagreement with you! I saw our children reacted when I had my first TIA, how Lucas took care of me during surgeries and how they cared, and now after my second TIA.

It makes me work harder to stay healthy, but I am so fearful of falling (even though my bone density is very good 'for my age') that I will not put on a pair of skates or hop on a bicycle. I don't worry for myself; I worry about the kids having to care for me or even fret  too much. They are in their 40s with teen and young adult children.

We make up for lost time by traveling and enjoying the grandchildren, but don't take chances other than that. We use our bodies for health and fun, but will not abuse.

Reader

« Reply #2037 on: September 04, 2014, 03:53:18 PM »
Was making salsa with a friend over labor day weekend.  I brought some ghost hot peppers to add to the mix.  I used gloves and safety glasses while cutting up the ghost pepper.  Somehow my friend ended up picking up my knife and moving it, then went to the restroom shortly afterwards.  Less than 5-10 minutes after that my friend starts talking about how he's feeling warm.  Thinking he had gotten juice on his hands I thought nothing of it until I looked up and saw my friend's face.   :o plus  :'( was his face.  So I asked him what was the problem.  He then said it's burning.  So I asked what, and he said My Junk!.  So I told him the only thing I could think of at the time was to go get a glass of milk.  So he does and heads to the bathroom to dunk his scrabble equipment into said glass of milk while I am howling with laughter and trying not to fall out of my chair.  (the milk trick worked and my friend was fine)

greencat

« Reply #2038 on: September 05, 2014, 02:03:31 AM »
I had to spend half an hour in the bathroom at a Walmart rinsing my eye out with milk - I had something with jerk spices on it for lunch, and although it wasn't that hot to eat, it sure did burn when I rubbed my eye!  I got a lot of "What on earth are you doing?" type questions in that bathroom...

Melle

« Reply #2039 on: September 05, 2014, 04:49:25 AM »
I had to spend half an hour in the bathroom at a Walmart rinsing my eye out with milk - I had something with jerk spices on it for lunch, and although it wasn't that hot to eat, it sure did burn when I rubbed my eye!  I got a lot of "What on earth are you doing?" type questions in that bathroom...

I just spent a good minute or so musing whether you meant "spices used for making jerky" or you were actually calling the spices a jerk... either way I'm really sorry this made me laugh :)