Author Topic: Really bad cake  (Read 3309 times)

oogyda

Really bad cake
« on: June 06, 2007, 09:07:57 AM »
Reading threads about wedding cakes and such brought this to mind.

There was a celebration honoring a young lady in our social circle that included dinner.  Of course, there was the celebratory cake for desert that had been made by a young man in training to be a chef. 

I'd previously had the honor of tasting his creations and was looking forward to this cake....as were several other guests. 

It was beautifully decorated and you could tell that he had put a lot of time and effort into it, so it was really a shame when, after a few bites, most people simply pushed their plates away.  It really was horrible.  It had an unrecognizable taste that lingered for quite awhile resisting any sips of various beverages to wash it away.

Turns out the family of the honoree had stored the cake overnight in their garage resting on open but not quite empty paint cans.
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

Xanthia, Maker of fine Tin-foil hats since 2007

• Xanthia the Great
Re: Really bad cake
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 09:40:54 AM »
Oh for the love of little green apples!!!!

It should be a crime to ruin a good cake..or ANY CAKE...

If I were the gentleman I would be upset as well.  SIGH  at least it was not intentional, but you do not store foods that are "absorbant with foods or anything that has "odor".

I am on a low carb and GI diet...dang I want some cake!!!

Sterling

• Oh Stupid Me- Blogs about Things That Drive Me Crazy
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007, 11:22:28 AM »
I feel really bad for the guy who made the cake because people had to think that he made the cake taste bad.  It had to embarrass him.

Also wouldn't that be dangerous?  Surely paint fumes are not safe.
93 93/93

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007, 12:33:44 PM »
ick.

reminds of the time i was invited to our neighbors for a holiday dinner, and another neighbor brought dessert. it was horrible - because she had very obviously stored the choc chips in her freezer, for a loooong time and the whole dessert had that 'freezer' taste.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

ninja710

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2007, 01:00:56 PM »
I've known cake decorators who used the cheapest possible box cake mix because to them, the decorating was the important part.  It didn't matter at all to them that the cake was terrible!!

Sabbyfrog2

• Super Hero!
  • I'm a Super Hero! Now where's my cape?
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2007, 03:49:20 PM »
mmmmmmm caaaaakke......(drool) :)

BurninDinner

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2007, 10:33:39 AM »
Did other people besides you know what was wrong with the cake?!

Clara Bow

• Super Hero!
  • I gotta go.
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2007, 12:59:56 PM »
Glad no one lit a match around the cake....then you'd have Cake D'Awefulle Flambe'.
I have finally found the bar I can't get thrown out of....

kingsrings

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2007, 02:42:06 PM »
There have been one or more stories on EHell about wedding cakes being ruined from cigarettes being smoked around them. The cake absorbs whatever is around it. I feel sooo bad for anyone whose cake is ruined by something like this, because it was not their fault! And it's a very costly mistake to make, too.

Real Live Mermaids!

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2007, 04:15:14 PM »
Oh, dear!  I hope the baker wasn't also a guest, he'd be heartbroken!

oogyda

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2007, 04:57:41 PM »
Just to answer some questions...

Yes, the young man was a guest, also.  He was horrified.  Poor guy.....(I admit to being somewhat biased here, as this young man is now my son-in-law).

It actually took awhile for word to get back to the chef and the hosts as everyone was trying really hard to be polite about it.  Once they realized what had happened (when they finally got an opportunity to relax a bit and have a bite) the family apologized profusely.
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

IndianInlaw

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2007, 05:00:31 PM »
A friend of mine was a judge at a pie bake off.

He (and the other judges) said virtually all the pies were sour, sour, sour. :-X

He said they just picked the least awful one.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2007, 07:05:25 PM »
That's what we used to call a "Thoughtful Cake." One of my college roommates baked a birthday cake that turned out truly awful. "Well," said one of the other roommates, trying to be soothing, "it's the thought that counts." "In that case," said the baker, "this is the most thoughtful cake I have ever seen." 

The name stuck and thereafter we called any less-than-perfect cake a "Thoughtful Cake."

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

BabyMama

• Kim Chee Casserole
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2007, 02:00:07 PM »
Ick, I had the nastiest pie on Saturday night. It was the frozen kind that you defrost and then can eat. I defrosted it and then took a bite...it tasted like lipstick!! It had that weird, powerdy, purfume-y taste that "old lady" cosmetics tend to have. I nearly threw up (well, pregnancy does that to you, but my god...)

Cyndi

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2007, 02:41:15 PM »
Glad no one lit a match around the cake....then you'd have Cake D'Awefulle Flambe'.

ROFLMAO! I almost snorted a grape across the room!