Author Topic: PSA: Are you trained in CPR and AED use?  (Read 13132 times)

CluelessBride

PSA: Are you trained in CPR and AED use?
« on: June 05, 2010, 12:48:51 AM »
The blood donation thread inspired me to start this thread.

Sudden cardiac arrest is one of the leading causes of death in the US.  CPR and defibrillators can save lives by restarting the heart, but quick action is critical and so starting resuscitation attempts before emergency personel arrive can be helpful.

Are you trained in CPR and AED use?  How recent is your training?

AEDs are everywhere now, and they are fairly easy to use (some even make CPR easier). But you don't want the first time you ever see one to be in an emergency. 

Courses are available through the Red Cross, the AHA, and many community groups. 

Feel free to share your stories about training or about lives changed by first responders using CPR or defibrillators to inspire each other to  get trained and keep the training fresh.  We can make a difference!

Animala

• Rowr!
  • Super Hero!
Re: PSA: Are you trained in CPR and AED use?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 01:01:46 AM »
I've had my First Aid/CPR training for year mostly due to working with children.  I've had to use it twice on my son when he was a baby and choking and I hope I never have to use it again.  I've let the certification laps, but I should be getting recertified in the fall.

Bellantara

• Normal is a setting on the washing machine.
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 01:03:05 AM »
I'm trained in both, but it's been over five years since my certification was current. (used to be a security guard and volunteered at the airport before 9/11)

AprilRenee

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 01:03:54 AM »
I've been trained pretty much since I was a teenager (about 11 years or so) I just renewed a couple of months ago. I've never had to use it, thank goodness.

Morrigan

• Requests from the Reference Desk
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 03:05:27 PM »
I'm trained in both, but it's been over five years since my certification was current. (used to be a security guard and volunteered at the airport before 9/11)

Same.  Security guard 3 years ago, but it lapsed 2 years ago.

Hushabye

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 04:23:01 PM »
I hope Southern Honey and I can both get certified before we have kids.  Actually, he might already be certified as part of his job, now that I think about it...

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2010, 04:43:51 PM »
I need to redo my CPR certification. Last time I did, the trainer was amazed how much I remembered.

All campuses in my district had AED's and we are trained to use them.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

vorbau

• walking around naked doesn't make you an emperor
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 06:27:36 PM »
Trained, certified and current in CPR/AED/first aid. Have been since age 16. (Also have miscellaneous training in things like bloodborne pathogens and various rescue scenarios.) DH is trained in all three as well, and DS has been since age 16.
Let's roll. (And you can't scare me; I've had teenagers.)

Alida

• Super Hero!
  • Lady Jedi
    • Alida's Journal
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2010, 06:43:43 PM »
My certification hasn't been current for a while, but I think I need to redo it. We had a heart attack at my office on Friday, and it really got me to thinking about it.

Shores

• Super Hero!
  • F.O.E.
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2010, 07:00:54 PM »
I actually used to be certified to teach First Aid, CPR and AED use, but I let me certifications lapse while I was overseas. Next time I have some money lying around, I'll get retested, but I am confident that I remember it well.
Wherever you go.... there you are.

Brentwood

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2010, 07:18:29 PM »
Yes, I am certified in CPR and AED, and I always keep my certification current. It's a requirement for my job.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2010, 11:12:25 AM »
Me, too, Cathy!
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

CluelessBride

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2010, 11:29:13 AM »
Yay!  It's good to see people trained!   Not long after I got my CPR/AED training, my grandfather had a heart attack and his life was saved by an AED.  I wasn't there (not even the same state), but I was so thankful that someone WAS there who knew what to do.  And it feels good to know that should the situation arise, I am trained to be there for someone else's loved one (although I also hope I never need it). 

ladiedeathe

• Pushing the bounds of ministry, one gasp at a time.
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2010, 02:09:44 PM »
Trained and always current- job requirement
"Here to comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable. Have chalice, will travel."

dawbs

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2010, 02:16:44 PM »
There are some excellent grants and such that communities get to train more people.

Which is why I can fit it in my budget and am leaving here in 15 minutes to go get up to date on CPR.
(I've been certified and had it expire a LOT of times in my life)

(I need to re-do first-aid too but one at a time.
Since we're expecting, my parents are going with since they'll be sitting for baby-Dawbs some [Mr. Dawbs can't get off work--we're working on this].
We're all in agreement it's wonderful to have such stuff and hope to never have to use it!)